Another new/old writer

KitJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I've been writing on and off in one form or another for pretty much my entire life. After a college career interview where my mention of a writing career was met with howls of derisive laughter, I gave up the idea and settled into the rat race, where I languished up until last year. Oh I kept writing when I thought no-one was looking... a short story here, a particularly long and witty email there. Most of my storytelling and creative talents were redirected to other mediums, such as writing for tabletop roleplaying games.

Then last year my employers decided they could do with one less computer support analyst on the team, and after the round of pit-fights that followed I found myself with a nice fat cheque and an awful lot more free time on my hands.

So after six months of navel gazing with the growing realisation that I'd totally worn down my tolerance for all the corporate bullsh... I mean modern business culture that pervades the modern workplace, I've decided to take a stab at making a career of doing something that I love, i.e. writing, by tapping into this new emerging ebook market that everyone's talking about.

I'm under no illusions that this is going to be easy or a get-rich-quick scheme, but if I can scrape up enough to keep the wolves from the door I will be quite content. I know I've got the writing and storytelling skill, and I think I have the determination to make a serious stab at this.

As for the mundane stuff, I'm 40, single and live in the UK. I'm planning to write in the genres that I love to read myself, adventure thrillers and science fiction, with maybe a smattering of steampunk now and again for my own amusement.

I'm looking forward to the adventure to come and being part of the crowd here at the Water Cooler.

Kit Johnson

dandeliondreamer

now under new management
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kit!

I love steampunk, when done right. :)

I too have recently left my "career" ::laughs maniacally at calling it that:: and am writing because I've always written. But now I'm actually writing those novels that have been in my head for years. It's fun, so far, and feels great to really do.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

laurenj

Registered
Reaction score
I walked away from my business a year ago, taking a menial job that allows me time to write and far less stress. Wishing you much luck!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Welcome to the forums, Kit. I also wrote the first draft of a novel during a period of unemployment (that was in the 80ties and a very bad time for teachers). The novel rested in peace for a long time, but once I turned 50 I felt the urge to become published.

Nickie

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

KitJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Thank-you, everyone for such a warm welcome. I think I'm really going to enjoy it here.

@dandeliondreamer - I'm an old-school, Victoriana steampunk myself. the newer, postapocalyptic/gothier steampunk is all very nice, but give me lost of hissing steam and a big machine that goes CLANGGGGG and I'm happy.

@jaksen - Thanks. It's a name that belongs either at the top of a book cover or the bottom of a wanted poster. So I guess that's Plan B if the whole writing thing doesn't pan out! :)

@CACTUSWENDY - Salty when I'm being good. Toffee coated when I'm not :)

@laurenj - I have a friend who "downsized his career" like that and is entirely contented with the change. It's great to be able to reach the end of the day without taking the work home with you, whether literally or emotionally, isn't it?

To everyone again, thanks, and good luck with your own writing.

Kit