Usage of the Word "Premising"

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. Thanks in advance. Does the following usage of "premising" work? Or should it be "written under the premise" or some such akin?

SUBSERVIA is an 89,000-word speculative/urban fantasy, premising that this world, here and now, is a veiled dystopian society.
Thanks again.

Lyx

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I checked Dictionary.com and from I can tell, that's correct.

It looks wrong to me because I've never seen or heard "premise" used as a verb.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
While I'd be reluctant to verbify or participle-ate premise myself, it does look correct.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Hey all. Thanks in advance. Does the following usage of "premising" work?. . .
Ok, by Webster's New World Dictionary, Third College Edition. I don't recall hearing or seeing the verb "to premise," but plainly it is a verb, and you appear to have used it correctly. (Not some trendy new thing -- Webster's New World Dictionary, certainly at the time of that edition, was pretty conservative.)

--Ken

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Do you know, I don't care what Websters says, it looks all kinds of wrong and ugly. I'd go for the more familiar postulating or possibly surmising.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like an ugly neologism to me. I would look for a better option; in addition to those already suggested, maybe consider "takes as its premise" or "is based on the premise."

Verbifying nouns is not always eloquent, and you want to be eloquent in your query.

And if you thought "premising" was a good idea because you're terrified of using compound verbs (which is not the same as the passive voice in English), think again on that one, maybe?

Reaction score
Website
amsterdamassassin.wordpress.com
Writing is not just choosing the 'correct' word, but also the 'right' word in regards to rhythm and sound. While grammatically correct, the verb premising looks like a misspelling of promising. I'd go with a more conventional approach and use the suggestions above. And read your own letter back to yourself, to check for rhythm and sound.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As written, it neither reads right nor makes sense to me, suggesting the book discusses the premise whereas I guess you mean the book is 'based on' the premise.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
It may be correct, but I don't think it is ever a good idea to use something that is likely to have readers stepping back and asking, "Is that a mistake?" If you, the author, are questioning it, it is probably a bad idea. You want readers to pay attention to what you are saying, not dissecting your word choices.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Do you know, I don't care what Websters says, it looks all kinds of wrong and ugly. I'd go for the more familiar postulating or possibly surmising.
I agree with the first sentence. I was surprised to find that it has long been a verb, as it seems to be quite uncommon. I would not suggest "postulating," and even less "surmising" for the purpose, though. But . . ."based on the premise that," albeit wordier, is a familiar construction.

--Ken

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I agree with the first sentence. I was surprised to find that it has long been a verb, as it seems to be quite uncommon. I would not suggest "postulating," and even less "surmising" for the purpose, though. But . . ."based on the premise that," albeit wordier, is a familiar construction.

--Ken

Yeah, neither are quite right, because there's something rhetorical about postulating and surmising. On balance, change the construction, yes.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with those above. Any unwieldy word or phrase that interrupts the flow of your query should be avoided.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everyone. Writing is a fickle mistress. It's the right word, technically. And it's not even flowery. It avoids the need to use three or four extra words. It's a writer's wet dream of a word, really. Except that it's not common and therefore must be avoided. Again, I get it and agree--don't want a potential agent to stumble or think I ooze pretension.

I shall kowtow. But mark my words, someday, if/when I'm steadily getting books published, I shall insert "premising" into each and every story I write. :)

Thanks again, all.

Lyx

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
As long as you don't do any "hearting"!

If you do, you'll open your front door one night and this is what you'll see.:mob:rant::mob:e2moon::Soapbox::mob