(Take a Deep Breath) Artist -- May I Join In?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Hello, everybody.

Is it all right for me to be on these forums? I'm not a writer. I'm an artist/illustrator.

I'm here because I'm interested and sympathetic. I may not be a writer, but I am a creator, and sometimes I think I might have helpful observations to make. At least, I hope so.

For a little introduction, I live in Chicago, and I've done a certain amount of professional illustration work for the University of Chicago Press, Black Gate Magazine, and Weavings Magazine, as well as semi-pro work for ISFiC and others. My website (easy enough to find with Google, if anyone's interested -- I'm not linking it here), on which I show art and teach egg tempera technique, is a "Preditors and Editors Artist's Site of Excellence".

May I join the conversation?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I don't know how much of an overlap there will be for some of the discussions, but I can't see anyone getting upset that you're hanging out with us.

Welcome!

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alessandra, I expect you will provide a most welcome voice. [and eye, heh]

Your website sounds intriguing. I'm off to take a look.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Artists are more than welcome to share in the educations, amusements and procrastinations AW has to offer. :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Lahblahdah

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with it, seeing as how everyone else says there's not =D

Welcome to The Cooler, Alessa =)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Thank you. And, as you can see, I've worked out the signatures. I hope it's okay to put a link in to my site now -- I avoided it at first because I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for me to be here.

And that is one of my illustrations.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Phew. Looking around this site is like walking through a candy store. Or -- if anyone understands this -- like finding a warehouse-size art supply store next door to a hardware store.

So ... many ... goodies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Well, I've worked out the signature (that's a few of my paintings down there) and a custom avatar (found for the Great Steampunk Takeover of 2011), and welcomed some new members, and contributed to numerous threads and, I hope, been a helpful and not pestilential presence. I'm also past 100 posts, but somehow I still feel like a Newbie.

I'd also like to drop some more info. I'm a very long time fan of Doctor Who (since about 1984, I'd say), also a first-generation girl roleplaying gamer, from slightly earlier. I'm a mom of two, and my husband is a breathtakingly talented science fiction writer and computer programmer. I've done some professional illustration and hope to do more.

Rawiya

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newbie myself, Alessandra, but creatives are creatives and we seem to find each other.

New eyes and POVs are a great thing! :D