Newb in Training

J.M.Nelson

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

Not entirely sure what all I should be including in my newbie introduction as I've never been big on bulletin forums outside of guild forums while gaming. So...

I'm an aspiring writer from the state of Wisconsin. I've been writing for as long as I can remember, but I'm one of those people who spends the majority of their time writing and re-writing so their stuff never sees the light of day.

I spent the last 10 years working on what I told myself was this great epic fantasy which ended up being the imagination monster which nearly sucked out all of my creativity trying to write it, and rewrite and rewrite... until about five months ago I shelved it and, out of the blue, spit out my first novella-sized piece from start to finish completely unrelated and a different subject entirely.

I finally shoved past my insecurities last night and handed over Draft 1 to a handful of friends who volunteered to look it over (gulp!). But, I also realize that better feedback will come from other writers, so I'm here looking to make friends and to get help and help out as well.

So, I'm here to try to learn of the tricks of the trade. To put my feet down and stop with the, "I'll do it someday" mentality.

I'll stop rambling and just say, "Hello. I look forward to getting to know the community." :)

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Enjoy the site. You will find many great advice about writing, and just a great group of fellow writers and people!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome. :welcome:
I spent the last 10 years working on what I told myself was this great epic fantasy which ended up being the imagination monster which nearly sucked out all of my creativity trying to write it, and rewrite and rewrite... until about five months ago I shelved it and, out of the blue, spit out my first novella-sized piece from start to finish completely unrelated and a different subject entirely.
It's tough to shelve a novel, but it sounds like it was the right thing for you to do.

Glad you got your mojo back. ;)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

J.M.Nelson

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I did read through all the introduction posts before signing up so, I know i need to post and help others before contributing my own work. And, I'm not quite ready to do that anyways as I'm going through anxiety fits atm waiting on my friends to look over my stuff.

I'd rather sit back for a little bit and get my legs first anyways. ;)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

Aylaa

Uncharacteristic is my character
Registered
Reaction score
greetings and welcome. I think every writer has some monster that they tried to conquer and ended up moving on to something else. The truth is, you use these writing projects to hone your skills. So make sure you don't trash it so you can go back and rewrite it and see how far you've come.

Aylaa

J.M.Nelson

Registered
Reaction score
greetings and welcome. I think every writer has some monster that they tried to conquer and ended up moving on to something else. The truth is, you use these writing projects to hone your skills. So make sure you don't trash it so you can go back and rewrite it and see how far you've come.

Aylaa

Thanks for the advice. I think I'd cry if I just trashed it since on top of the oodles of documents I have saved on my computer, there's also two huge ring binders and about a dozen notebook filled with background and previous versions. One of these days I'm going to just devote a filing cabinet to it. LOL

Lahblahdah

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to The Cooler, JM! =D

And as they say, yeah, there are some Writing Monsters... Shelving did sounds like it helped, and that's good =)