The next Michael Crichton...

Chilly

Registered
Reaction score
...is not me, but I'm sure he's out there. And I figured pure audacity would attract readers to this newbie thread.

My first name is Pat. I've been freelancing magazine work for about five years, and just finished my first novel about eighteen months ago.

Neither gig pays the bills, unfortunately. My day job as a manager at an aviation company at least provides lots of fodder for my novels.

Queried about 120 agents on my first novel, received maybe 8 requests for a full MS but no bites for representation. So I'm done subjecting myself to that torture and have moved on to my next book. It's moving along easier than the first one, so hopefully it'll also be done sooner.

Looking forward to learning from, and swapping tales with, the rest of you!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Keyaroscuro

Zombie Fanatic 2.0
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chelekat.deviantart.com
Welcome to the community! Good luck with your next novel, and grats on finishing your first. Representation isn't everything; completing a novel is an amazing accomplishment as is. :)

Steph

Worst.
Registered
Reaction score
I see what you did there...

Welcome!

CommaChameleon

(They come and go.)
Registered
Reaction score
I figured pure audacity would attract readers to this newbie thread.

*strokes chin* I like the way you think, Chilly.

Welcome to AW. It's brilliant. Well, I'm off to start a new thread:

"Better than Shakespeare and bigger than J.K.Rowling..."

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there Pat, and welcome. You might also consider presenting your work to a publisher directly. Not all of them reject the queires of new authors and are willing to work with you.

Nickie

Chilly

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like my tactic worked. BWAHAHAHAHAHA...

I'm not much into SF but liked Crichton quite a bit in terms of subject matter, and that's where my work lives: exploring what's possible right now if someone set their mind to it. And hopefully with more memorable characters.

Thanks everyone for your comments. The noob threads were quite helpful.

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

Luis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pat,

I love the title of your thread! Your audacity is fantastic and you obviously have a good sence of marketing.

Have you tried researching in Publishers Marketplace for an agent? You can research their archives and look at every publishing deal reported in the last 10 years. You may find a book similar to yours and see who represented it, thus finding someone who might be interested in a similar book, like yours. It costs $20 dollars a month to join, but you only need to join long enough to find an agent. They also put out a free daily news letter about events in the publishing industry.

I have a blog with writing advice and resources for amatuer writers you might find usefull, come around and have a look. Maybe you can give us advice, or share your adventures in pre-publication.

Good Luck!

lucho
http://writerinwind.blogspot.com

Sereneword

New Member; Teach Me About Thick Skin!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Pat! Welcome to AW! :)