What do little kids & African Americans have in common? They like minty flavors.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm a bit confused. The FDA is encouraging the banning of menthol cigarettes, citing "The availability of menthol-flavored cigarettes is linked to a rise in the number of children and African Americans who smoke."

It also leaves no doubt that the tobacco industry is directly responsible for the harm caused by menthol cigarettes because of its targeted marketing of children and African-American and other communities, and its manipulation of menthol cigarettes to appeal to specific target markets.

WTF? Does that work for mint chocolate chip ice cream, too? The overlap on the bubblemap of this seems a bit problematic.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Does that work for mint chocolate chip ice cream, too? The overlap on the bubblemap of this seems a bit problematic.

Actually, pretty much, yeah. That's sort of the reverse argument that tobacoo companies use to only make nicotine gum that tastes bad, to prevent children from chewing it.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Okay. Little kids, black people, and me. I'm gonna start smoking menthol cigarettes and using Vick's Vapo-o-rub as perfume.

That was just a weird article.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget to wash that down with a big old swig of Listerine.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
And I can see why flavored things could be seen as more likely to appeal to a child's underdeveloped palate, but I don't understand why the flavor would be tagged as a draw for certain ethnic groups, presumably adults?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
And I can see why flavored things could be seen as more likely to appeal to a child's underdeveloped palate, but I don't understand why the flavor would be tagged as a draw for certain ethnic groups, presumably adults?

Ok, you got me there. I can't think of anything to justify that part.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
All the cool brothers smoke Kools (remember the band Kool and The Gang?). I smoked Kools for a while, I suppose they're a fairly strong cigarette to start with, and then the amount of menthol added to it has to be twice that of any other brand. Salem is the other menthol brand I recall, but that's a pretty mild smoke compared to a Kool.

I don't recall any other menthol brands offhand. I (as a white 'brother') mostly smoked Winston, but all that was in a previous life.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
It also leaves no doubt that the tobacco industry is directly responsible for the harm caused by menthol cigarettes because of its targeted marketing of children and African-American and other communities, and its manipulation of menthol cigarettes to appeal to specific target markets.

This is very true. The marketing is targeted at black people. Children I can't speak on because I don't hang out with them.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Why would black people be more likely to smoke menthol cigarettes? This is what I don't understand. Everybody likes mint. Or not. Still, it doesn't seem like a racial thing.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I don't know. Maybe it's like marketing high-heeled shoes to women. I mean, there's no particular reason that women should prefer to bend their feet like that more than men, unless the Establishment thought it was a clever way to make us easier to catch.

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Why would black people be more likely to smoke menthol cigarettes? This is what I don't understand. Everybody likes mint. Or not. Still, it doesn't seem like a racial thing.

I don't know, but most, if not all, of my black friends that smoke, smoke Newports. I think its the marketing

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
When you pick up smoking, you smoke what your parents have around or what your friends have around. You get used to a certain taste, level of nicotine, etc.

I smoked menthol for a while. I don't remember why I switched, other than some of my friends did. Benson and Hedges. Not an RJR brand, or even an NC one. That didn't go over well in my town (Winston-Salem).

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i've never smoked a cigarette in my life, but i know i wouldve looked damn cool if i ever did.

that's all.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else craving right now? (14 years quit here)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's certainly the stereotype here that blacks smoke menthol cigarettes and Black'n'Mild cigars. I know plenty of whites who smoke menthols, but they're still seen as a "black brand." When I lived up north in a 95% white town, plenty of people smoked menthols.

I didn't like menthols because they felt weird inhaling and I seemed to cough up nastier stuff in the morning when I did. It had nothing to do with marketing or stereotypes for me.

ETA: Oh, and I think it's silly to say that blacks, children, short story writers--anyone--wouldn't smoke if there were no menthol cigs. I doubt anyone started smoking because the menthol was oh-so wonderful.

Last edited:

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
That's so racist. But...I love chocolate mint anything. Goodness--I'm propagating the stereotype! *cries* OK, to be serious for a moment, when I was growing up they were in fact seen as "the black brand". No one I knew would smoke a cigarette that didn't have menthol. And the first cigarettes I ever tried as a teen? Newports. I hang my head in shame.

Why is mint so good? Genetic predisposition?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
When I first started smoking, I started with Newport Lights, then went to Salem Lights, then was smoking Marlboro Lights Menthol (all three are menthol, btw). Everyone I hung out with smoked either Marlboro Lights or Marlboro Red box, but those always tasted like crap to me. I have no idea how I happened upon smoking menthols at all, now that I think about it. They ones were easier to tolerate than non-menthol, but not exactly what I'd call tasty. From what I can recall (I quit 3 years ago), NONE of them tasted good. At all. I still wonder WTF I was thinking when I started.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Interesting - I work in a 'corner shop' kinda place, only it's national. I sell a lot of ciggies.

Here, it's the girls (not all of them)that buy the menthols. Guys do not (as a rule) smoke them, whatever colour they are.

So I think it must be marketing/image etc. Over here smoking menthol is seen as, um, well not quite what a guy does. It's a 'girl thing'.

Except if you're smoking a certain substance, in which case a menthol fag/filter helps smooth away that harshness. Allegedly.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I smoked Newports and Black Cloves for years. I quit about four years ago. *grits teeth at this thread*

What are they saying? We smell mint and immediately run to smoke? I hear mint and think of ice cream.

I grew up seeing my step-dad smoke Kools. Everyone I know smokes either Newports or Black N Milds.

Invincibility

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is so gross. First that racist anti-abortion billboard now this? What is it with white people acting like black people don't have any bodily autonomy or the brains to make their own decisions?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please read the article before commenting on it because the way it's presented here is inaccurate. It is NOT saying "African Americans are the same as children." When I went back and re-read it I realized that is not the message at all. :rolleyes:

The government/scientific studies simply showed that menthol cigarettes were more popular among certain groups, which they then listed. It then talked about the significance of those findings as far as the goal of reducing the number of smokers. There was nothing racist or sensational about it.

Last edited:

Invincibility

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It also leaves no doubt that the tobacco industry is directly responsible for the harm caused by menthol cigarettes because of its targeted marketing of ... African-American
Implying African-Americans can't make their own decisions.