The Great Arab Revolt II

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
consider this new the "great arab revolt thread" (outside of the situation in libya):

bahrain:

23046002_h13612704-1_custom.jpg

The modern and imposing landmark that had become the symbol of the opposition in Bahrain was demolished today by the government.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/03/18/134658019/symbol-of-uprising-is-destroyed-in-bahrain

but at night, after the curfew bahrainis shouted from their rooftops:

The nighttime cries of dissent went out from the rooftops shortly after the text messages came through. For nearly 15 minutes, just as the messages exhorted, they called out to the sky: "God is great!" as soldiers and police took hold of the streets below.

Yemen:
THE crackdown on Yemen's growing opposition movement is getting much nastier. On Friday snipers hidden on rooftops opened fire on the crowds gathered for prayers outside Sana'a University. At least 39 were killed and around 200 injured, according to doctors talking to the BBC. Scenes of chaos were reported at the makeshift hospital that the demonstrators have set up within their camp.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/newsbook/2011/03/violence_yemen?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/bloodycrackdown

last week, the government stormed a university and fired on scores of students:
The Yemeni government escalated its efforts to stop mass protests calling for the president’s ouster on Tuesday, with soldiers firing rubber bullets and tear gas at students camped at a university in the capital in a raid that left at least 98 people wounded, officials said.

The army stormed the Sanaa University campus hours after thousands of inmates rioted at the central prison in the capital, taking a dozen guards hostage and calling for President Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down. At least one prisoner was killed and 80 people were wounded as the guards fought to control the situation, police said

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/a...-fires-at-student-protesters-wounding-98?bn=1

syria:

Reports from Deraa, near the border with Jordan, say at least four people were killed and hundreds more injured in a crackdown by security forces.

Demonstrations were also held in Damascus and in other towns, answering a call made on a social network site for a so-called “Day of Dignity.” The demand is for more freedom and democracy.

Syria’s ruling elite has indicated a belief that it is immune from uprisings sweeping the Arab world, citing economic liberalisation and a hardline against Israel. Latest events may prove it wrong.

http://www.euronews.net/2011/03/18/syria-dignity-demonstrations-end-in-bloodshed/

Last edited:
Reaction score
They are holding elections in Egypt today.

Looks like they are headed towards Iranian model of government.

A nutty theocracy.

But of course they are.

Oh well.

Was worth a shot.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
the iraqi consitution and elections that you supported were much more islamist then anything the egyptians are proposing right now.

Reaction score
I pray you know what you are doing and your great arab revolt doesn't turn out to be one of mankind's great disasters.

Reaction score
Elaborate on this theoretical disaster please.

Uh....The entire middle east being run by nuts like Achminijead and Mullahs and Ayatollahs who hate Israel, Europe, America, education, freedom and women?

How's that?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
unconfirmed reports of tanks rolling into the syrian city Daraa.

bashir assad's father, hafez, commited one of the worst atrocities in modern arab history when he literally leveled the city of Hama for revolting.

ever since, syrians have been scared to death of the regime.

guess vanity fair feels stupid now for their puff piece on assad's wife, huh?

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
hillary clinton defends saudi arabia's invasion of bahrain:

"“It’s a priority for the US administration to work with partners in the Gulf region against the concern over the behavior of Iran,” she said. Commenting on the deployment of troops from the Peninsula Shield Force in the Kingdom of Bahrain in the wake of violent protests, Clinton said it was a sovereign right for Bahrain to seek help from GCC member states under the joint defense treaty they had signed."

http://www.eurasiareview.com/clinton-renews-us-commitment-to-gcc-security-20032011/

meanwhile in saudi arabia itself:

Several protesters were arrested in Saudi Arabia on Sunday at a demonstration demanding the release of thousands of prisoners, held captive for years without trial.

They were among dozens of men and women who tried to push their way into Riyadh's interior ministry building, which was fortified with up to 2,000 special forces and 200 police vehicles, according to the Associated Press news agency

http://english.aljazeera.net//news/middleeast/2011/03/2011320112126999266.html

yemen:

201132014529918427_20.jpg

Yemen's ambassador to the United Nations has resigned over the killing of 52 protesters calling for the resignation of President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

"Abdullah Alsaidi has submitted his resignation to protest at the use of violence against demonstrators," a Yemeni foreign ministry official said on Sunday.

The move comes as Yemen's most powerful tribal confederation called on Saleh to step down.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/03/2011320123433298971.html

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
bahrain continues its war on hospitals:
Bahrain's two main hospitals remain surrounded by masked soldiers despite demands from America that the kingdom must ease its violent crackdown on demonstrators and the medical workers treating them...

Relatives of another victim, IT technician Ahmed Farhan, said they saw him being executed as he lay prostrate on a street in the suburb of Sitra.

"They killed him in cold blood," said Ali Hassan Ali, a physical education teacher. "I was standing near him when he was shot. He fell, they chased us away and shot him in the head at point-blank rage with a bird-shot gun."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/20/bahrain-hospitals-under-siege-manama

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
either

a) i have trouble counting or

b) i like 1984.

Winston: "How can I help seeing what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
Big Brother: "Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane."

Last edited:
Reaction score
either

a) i have trouble counting or

b) i like 1984.

Winston: "How can I help seeing what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
Big Brother: "Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane."

Oh, a literary reference.

No wonder I didn't get it.

Please don't do that again.

Thank you.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
yea i dunno, maybe the mods can change it to the "Great Arab Revolt II" if it's too obtuse.

or just REOPEN that thread.

meanwhile in syria:

Momentum is building for the opposition. The demonstrations are getting bigger with each day. They started out gathering between 100 to 300. Today’s demonstration was well over 1,000 in Deraa. The New York Times is reporting that 20,000 joined the funeral march in Deraa. The killing of four in Deraa is new. Many Syrians claim that this is the first time President Assad has drawn blood with the shooting of demonstrators. The Kurdish intifada of 2004 in the Jazeera ended with the death of many but that occurred following the successful constitutional referendum in Iraq and was blamed on external factors. To many Syrians, this time seems different

http://www.joshualandis.com/blog/?p...m_campaign=Feed:+Syriacomment+(Syria+Comment)

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i just realized i can change my own thread titles.

so many changes since i've been back!

i kinda like neg reps though. so RIP to those. :(

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
So I guess Syria will be the next stop on the O-Bomba[sup]TM[/sup] Freedom Tour? I mean, the Syrian military killed several people there.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
Well, I don't know how accurate are the numbers
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4047818,00.html
Officials in Damascus resort to farcical denials, creative accounts after more than 30 people killed in Syria protests; eyewitnesses say security forces mow down stone throwers, fire at protestors after Assad photo ripped.

...snip

In sharp contradiction to the official Syrian statements, human rights group Amnesty International said on Friday at least 55 people are believed to have been killed since protests erupted in and around the southern Syrian city of Deraa a week ago.

The figure may not include the most recent deaths in the country.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
It's like a 1969 global/socio-politico-demagogic/theocratic-cultural spasm with a bite me attitude of '91 soften by the dust of years of powdered sugar-coated-like-residue of ill-defined and undeclared wars.

Magdalen
Thankful for Zoombie and his ilk