Halló Writers!

A.V. Hollingshead

Vive la révolution littéraire!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ophiucha.tumblr.com
I am Alexandra Victoria Hollingshead, to be Smith, and I am a novelist and poet of British and Swedish heritage. Grew up in the wealthier part of New York. Spent a lot of time in my youth in Surrey, England, and now live in Surrey, BC. Nineteen years old, getting married in August to a man most humorously named Alexander. My online names sake, Ophiucha, is how you can find me just about anywhere online. It is also the feminine form of 'Ophiuchus', the snake-bearer constellation.

I am a cook, a freelance copy editor, a blogger (check the signature), and above all else, a lover of knowledge. I read more books - fiction and nonfiction - in a year than many do in a lifetime. I have a particular interest in Norse mythology and history, and in pre-Tolkienian fantasy. I write fantasy, science fiction, horror, Westerns, and literary fiction. I value minimalism and attention to detail in writing, and being someone who dedicates herself to fantasy, it is a tough business. Conservation is, to say the least, not a value held highly. It is nonetheless one I believe should be a bit more widespread.

I am an atheist, a social democratic, a housewife, a gamer (tabletop and console), and a fan of war strategy. I love video games about war strategy and likely own more books on ancient war techniques than I do notebooks. And for a writer, that is saying something I daresay. I love cartography (though I discourage the use of maps in speculative fiction), I love linguistics (though I similarly discourage the use of conlangs), and I love - perhaps above all else - numbers (you can have these in your fantasy, that would be most interesting). You know synesthesia? Where you think of sounds and words in colors? Imagine that, but with numbers. I see numbers in everything. I analyze the world, break it down, and measure it out with my eye. I attribute numbers to days of the week so that they add up to certain numbers for certain holidays. It's just how I've always thought.

As I said before, I am also of the culinary mind. I love Italian and Mexican cuisine above all else. Spicy and cheesy. I need nothing else. I appreciate a good cheese. My personal favorite is Bleu D'Auvergne, a relatively strong but deliciously creamy blue cheese. I would recommend it to anyone who likes the stronger cheeses, and it works wonderfully as a spread. If there is any one food I can't stand, it would be pork (or bacon, ham, etc.).

For some favorites. Authors that influence me greatly are China Miéville, Cormac McCarthy, E.R. Eddison, and Vladimir Nabokov. I am also rather fond of South American writers. Borges, Marquez, Cortazar, Coelho, etc. I take a lot of influence from film as well. Some of my favorites are Inglourious Basterds, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Wild Zero (a fantastic b-movie from Japan about rock n' roll midst a zombie apocalypse, and how love knows no gender, and also something about aliens perhaps), The 10th Kingdom (a TV miniseries that takes a great take on the 'twist a fairy tale' schtick), The Iron Giant, and the two Babe films. Gaming, I am a huge fan of the Arkham Horror board game, and my favorite video games are Civilization, Fire Emblem, Dragon Age, Shadow of the Colossus, and Legend of Zelda. I also enjoy a good castle defense game. Musically, I like hard rock and heavy metal. Favorite band is Disturbed, and I also like Oomph!, Kamelot, Volbeat, and numerous others.

I reckon that is as much as I can possibly write. Nice to meet you.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there Alexandra, and welcome to the forums. I also love food and we often use blue cheese in our cuisine. My sister and housemate can make a delicious pasta with blue cheese, onion, mushrooms and cubes of bacon. As I live in Belgium, I do love to eat pork. I even think that pigs are cute animals!

Nickie

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

writer4evr22

A star awaiting her turn to shine.
Registered
Reaction score
as it would appear..in front of the computer..
From what I just read....you're gonna make a fabulous author! You have every potential for it and you see things in your own unique way, something that will surely draw attention to your book/s. Such a wonderous thing, the mind of a writer! So different and hard to understand....I would know b/c most people don't understand me! hehe...well...welcome to the site and have fun!

Rhonda9080

Registered
Reaction score
How 'bout System of a Down??? I write to SOAD - not sure how, but it just works for me...
Nice to meet you!