Another capitalisation question

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
I've noticed that over time current usage changes, or publishers are less consistent when applying their house rules concerning my specific question.

I checked AP, but while it gives some guidelines, it wasn't specific for me.

Two examples: General Jacobs; High Commissioner Smithers.

1. When I use these, and I write them in full, I capitalise their titles/positions. That's consistent with most books published within the past 30 or so years. No problem here.

2. The inconsistencies arise where the characters are referred to by title only.

(a) Some published books use: the general or the high commissioner when obviously referring to the specific general or high commissioner previously introduced. This usage does not feel right to me.

(b) In the exact same situation, other books show: the General or the High Commissioner. My gut reaction prefers this style.

I have no issue with using lowercase when referring to generals or high commissioners as groups.

Any comments or suggestions?

Could the different usage be regional or perhaps period based?

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
There is no right or wrong here. Some publications/publishers do it one way, some the other. What you need to do is pick one style and stick to it. Consistency is what is important.

Supreme_Overlord

horrific and tragical
Registered
Reaction score
Elsewhere. I'll, um, get back to you on the detail
When used as a title for a specific person, such words are capitalized, yes. Your gut reaction is correct. It's like when you refer to someone as "Mom," rather than "my mom." It takes the place of a name.

Edit: I never realized it was a house thing. I'm pretty sure the official rule is capitalization, but I suppose house rules trump all.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This subject comes up often, and for U.S. publications, both The AP Stylebook and The Chicago Manual of Style agree:

Ranks and titles are capitalized when part of the title is before the name:

In Appomattox Courthouse, General Lee surrendered to General Grant.

For conspicuous heroism on the night of October 25, 2007, President Obama presented the Medal of Honor to Sergeant Giunta.

Tell Private Smith to report to Corporal Jones.

As SO said, ranks and titles are capitalized when used as address in place of a name:

I give you my sword, General.

You are my hero, Sergeant.

Enjoy your two weeks of KP, Private.

Ranks and titles are not capitalized as common nouns:

The general will be here shortly.

The president honored the brave sergeant.

Even though he was a prince, the private washed pots and pans.

Last edited:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
The Chicago Manual of Style is pretty much an American thing, but anyhow:

Chicago Manual of Style 15th ed said:
15th ed, 8.22: ... [exceptions to Capitalization] A title used alone, in place of a personal name, is capitalized only in such contexts as a toast or a formal introduction, or when used in direct address.
[examples:] Ladies and Gentlemen, the Prime Minister.
I would have done it, Captain, but the ship was sinking.
Thank you, Mr. President

15th ed, 8.23: Titles used in apposition. When a title is used in apposition before a personal name, not as part of the name but as a descriptive tag, and often with the, it is lowercase,
E.g. the empress Elizabeth of Austria.

15th ed, 8.25 Civil titles {lists of usages, only quoting the PM}
the prime minister; the Right Honourable Pierre Elliott Trudeau, former prime minister of Canada; Tony Blair, the British prime minister (not normally used as a title preceding the name)

15th ed, 8.27 Military titles {only quoting the general}
the general; General Ulysses S. Grant, commander in chief of the Union army; General Grant; the commander in chief

I'm inclined to think the following is correct:
I don't care, my Lord, but I think all lords are greedy, including the lord who rides a lamb, but excluding the Lord of Aquitaine, Lord Bing, and you--my Lord.

Last edited: