Oh hey, I do have an account here!

estyles

Registered
Reaction score
I signed up here last March on the recommendation of some friends from my writing group, but because I am Internet-lazy, I started poking around, realized that gee, this place is big, I'll have to look at it more later, and promptly forgot about it.

I would be a librarian if I had my master's degree (but I call myself one in casual conversation anyway since no one knows what a reference associate does). The writing time I don't lose to seriously meaning to start working on my statement of purpose for grad school goes to knitting and photography. I was a history major in undergrad and despite being a writer and a library paraprofessional, pretty much all I read is either research for stories or nonfiction about my pet eras.

I suppose that you could say I'm a serial novel-starter. I can't write anything below about ten thousand words to save my life, and the stories I start tend to be nonmagical fantasy with the starting point of "what if social movement X actually started in era Y? And there were really alien nonhuman races running around? That would be awesome!" Then I get about sixty pages into the story and realize waaaiiit, decent world-building and interesting characters, sure, but there's no actual plot here so I have to tear it down and figure out what needs fixed.

At the moment I'm not actually writing anything that needs critiqued (or indeed, anything I would willingly show to anyone in the state it is now). I have a couple long stories I'm outlining, and some very informal character/world-fleshing out bits I'm working on for a writing challenge that's just practice writing short pieces/fun on the Internet. Mostly I'm just looking for people to talk through story problems with. There's a fantastic writing group here that I am/was/I don't know a member of before grad school applications took me over and driving forty miles round trip to eat out weekly got too expensive for me. I keep meaning to get back in touch with them, but there's the time and the money and the lazy things, so I guess I just miss talking with people about writing.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome, estyles! I used to be a serial novel-starter too. Then i found AW. :)