Saudi Arabia sends troops to Bahrain to squash protests

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
our dear friends the saudis have sent their army into bahrain to suppress the revolts there:

Hundreds of Saudi troops have entered Bahrain to help protect government facilities there amid escalating protests against the government....

Nabeel Rajab, from the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights, told Al Jazeera that the Saudi troops would be opposed by the protesters.

"This is an internal issue and we will consider it as an occupation," he said. "This step is not welcomed by Bahrainis. This move is not acceptable at all. It is a repressive regime supported by another repressive regime."

Already, as reports circulated about the Saudi force's arrival, hundreds of protesters had gathered behind makeshift checkpoints around the Pearl Roundabout, the scene of much of the protest in Bahrain.
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/03/2011314124928850647.html
Monday’s action, in which more than 2,000 Saudi-led troops from gulf states crossed the narrow causeway into Bahrain, demonstrated that the Saudis were willing to back their threats with firepower.

The move created another quandary for the Obama administration, which obliquely criticized the Saudi action without explicitly condemning the kingdom, its most important Arab ally. The criticism was another sign of strains in the historically close relationship with Riyadh, as the United States pushes the country to make greater reforms to avert unrest.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/world/middleeast/15saudi.html

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like the Middle East states might start working together to squash rebellions. That could be really bad for protesters. With any luck, the US will find someway to pressure Saudi Arabia, behind closed doors, to get them to back off.

Reaction score
The Great Arab Revolt: Score card...

Egypt being run by the military. That always works out well.

Qadaffi crushing people in Libya.

Now this.

Not going well.

Mubarak looks like a peach now doesn't he?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
egypt and tunisia are doing really well, the secret police are being dismantled in egypt and tunisia keeps on pushing the old guard out. they're on their way to freedom.

egypt is really the center of the arab world; if and when they pull this off completely, saudi arabia and qadaffi will fall too.

eventually.

Reaction score
egypt and tunisia are doing really well, the secret police are being dismantled in egypt and tunisia keeps on pushing the old guard out. they're on their way to freedom.

egypt is really the center of the arab world; if and when they pull this off completely, saudi arabia and qadaffi will fall too.

eventually.

I still have hope for Egypt. Good to hear.

Never even heard of Tunisia until like a month ago. So ..good. But... :Shrug:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score

Generally speaking, you'd be right to shrug about what happens in Tunisia. But they were the ones that started the Arab revolts, so in this one case, they are important to the area.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score

remember bourne ulimatum? when bourne was running around the rooftops of that bazaar looking for that annoying chick?

that was tunisia.

great movie, great scene.

i plan on visiting someday.

Reaction score
remember bourne ulimatum? when bourne was running around the rooftops of that bazaar looking for that annoying chick?

that was tunisia.

great movie, great scene.

i plan on visiting someday.

Don't remember that scene.

Bon voyage. Thank you.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
bahrain's govt declares emergency law and authorizes security forces to use "all means necessary" steps to restore national security:
Senior opposition leader Abdul Jalil Khalil said the monarchy's steps indicated it has decided to 'give a military solution to a political problem.'

'They want to talk with a gun on our head, and saying, you either take this or you die,' said Khalil, a leader of Bahrain's main Shiite group, Al-Wefaq.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-declares-state-emergency.html#ixzz1Gi1ms5Yy

hillary's response:
"Our advice to all sides is that they must take steps now to negotiate toward a political resolution. The security issues are obviously important, because there has to be an environment of stabilty and security in order for these talks to proceed," Clinton said, speaking in Cairo one day after Saudi troops intervened in Bahrain to quell protests.

can anyone imagine what the reaction would be if iran sent in troops to protect the lebanese government from the sunni opposition? and the lebanese govt actually has much more authority and legitimacy then the autocrats in bahrain.

nick kristof on bahrain:
There’s a fear of the rabble, a distrust of full democracy, a sense of entitlement. Apartheid isn’t exactly the right metaphor, because there isn’t formal separation (although neighborhoods are often either Sunni or Shia), and people routinely have very close friends of the other sect. But how can a system when 70 percent of the population is not eligible for the army be considered fair? How can a system in which the leading cabinet positions are filled by one family be considered fair?

The government talks about “unity” and complains that the opposition is encouraging sectarianism. Please! An American friend was on the roundabout Thursday morning when police attacked. They caught him but when they saw he was American they were friendly and said they were hunting Shia only. My friend said the experience left him feeling icy, as if they were hunting rats. And several people I talked to who were there said that the police used anti-Shia epithets and curses as they were beating prisoners.

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/is-this-apartheid-in-bahrain/

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
great article on the bahraini lobbby in washington:

In the midst of the violence, Human Rights Watch called upon the United States and other international donors to immediately suspend military assistance to Bahrain. The British government announced that it had begun a review of its military exports, while France suspended exports of any military equipment to the kingdom. Though the Obama administration, too, has begun a review, money talks as loudly in foreign policy as it does in domestic politics. The lobbying campaign by the Pentagon and its Middle Eastern partners is likely to sideline any serious move toward an arms export cut-off, leaving the U.S. once again in familiar territory -- supporting an anti-democratic ruler against his people.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/...bahrain_obama_middle_east_protests/index.html

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
with the world media focused on the devastation in japan, saudi arabia picked the perfect time for their little invasion.

andrew sullivan:
I am old enough to remember the days when the entire world stopped dead in its tracks as one Middle East autocracy invaded a tiny neighboring state, and the US corralled a massive coalition to repel it. From that moment on, because in part of the threat Saddam's invasion of Kuwait posed to the Saudi oil fields, the US was far more deeply enmeshed in the Middle East's military and political equation than ever before.

Now fast forward to a thousand troops with tanks streaming over the causeway that connects Saudi Arabia with Bahrain. Now, obviously this is different in as much as the Sunni Bahrainian royalty invited the troops to come in to protect them from the protests of the Shiite majority. But to my mind, that makes it just as bad. A military from one Sunni country has invaded another to suppress democracy, because it might reflect, for the first time, the wishes of the Shiite majority, rather than Sunni despots.
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2011/03/the-saudi-invasion-of-bahrain.html

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bravo, it you don't mind taking the time, perhaps you could spell out exactly what your position is regarding Saudi Arabia. I've never supported the regime there, but for some reason, I'm thinking you supported - or at least accepted - certain current policies. . . .

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
the only thing i ever supported of the saudis was their peace plan; they called on every muslim nation to recognize israel if it withdrew to it's 1967 borders. every muslim nation agreed.

that's the only thing i ever said positive about that regime.

i cant wait for them to fall.

Reaction score
with the world media focused on the devastation in japan, saudi arabia picked the perfect time for their little invasion.

andrew sullivan:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2011/03/the-saudi-invasion-of-bahrain.html

There's way too much going on.

Is Obama still President?

Doesn't seem to be doing much on ANYTHING.

He didn't kill Qaddafi or Charlie Sheen.

Hasn't done anything on labor strife in the Midwest.

Nothing on this.

I guess we sent some people to Japan. Not really too much he can do there.

But he just seems disconnected from the world going down the tubes.

And Snooki is on the cover of Rolling Stone!! How could he allow that?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
There's way too much going on.

Is Obama still President?

Doesn't seem to be doing much on ANYTHING.

didnt you read hillary's statement?

there've been many similar statements and pronouncements made these last few months.

in fact, i'm waiting for the next one right now.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I still have a soft spot for the good old days... Saddam is still missed.

Reaction score
didnt you read hillary's statement?

there've been many similar statements and pronouncements made these last few months.

in fact, i'm waiting for the next one right now.

Just read it.

Good stuff.

That should do the trick.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Bravo, I would like to know exactly what your views on the geo-political idiosyncrasies of arab-sini relations during the Victorian puritanical purge of the middle class in relation to to the Russian exile and ultimate assassination of the royal family.
A minimum of 20,000 words would be appreciated. :D

Reaction score
Bravo, I would like to know exactly what your views on the geo-political idiosyncrasies of arab-sini relations during the Victorian puritanical purge of the middle class in relation to to the Russian exile and ultimate assassination of the royal family.

:ROFL:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

(deserved more then one)

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
graphic video of bahraini soldier shooting an unarmed protester in the face:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/16/bahrain-protester-shot-video_n_836468.html

Our allies are using american weapons, tanks, and helicopters to crush protesters. This isnt going to be forgotten

I was actually thinking of posting a thread on this then remembered yours. This is horrific, and a perfect example of why these regimes need to be taken down, I so hope people rally around this poor man's murder.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
201131695178179720.jpg

Security forces with tanks have overrun a square in the centre of Bahrain's capital Manama where anti-government protesters have been camped for weeks.

At least three civilians were reportedly killed after police fired on mainly Shia protesters. Officials said three police also died.

hillary sends a message to the protesters:

"We deplore the use of force against demonstrators, and we deplore the use of force by demonstrators. We want a peaceful resolution," she said in an interview with the BBC in Cairo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12755852

she's getting fierce now.

p.s. hillary, what use of "force by demonstrators"? i'd love to see some evidence of that.

did you also deplore the force of demonstrators in libya or iran?

didnt think so.

you can shut up now.

sauditroops.jpg

saudi troops smiling aboard a US made tank as they enter bahrain.

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
TomDispatch analysis of Defense Department documents indicates that, since the 1990s, the United States has transferred large quantities of military material, ranging from trucks and aircraft to machine-gun parts and millions of rounds of live ammunition, to Bahrain's security forces.

According to data from the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, the branch of the government that coordinates sales and transfers of military equipment to allies, the U.S. has sent Bahrain dozens of "excess" American tanks, armored personnel carriers, and helicopter gunships. The U.S. has also given the Bahrain Defense Force thousands of .38 caliber pistols and millions of rounds of ammunition, from large-caliber cannon shells to bullets for handguns. To take one example, the U.S. supplied Bahrain with enough .50 caliber rounds -- used in sniper rifles and machine guns -- to kill every Bahraini in the kingdom four times over. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency did not respond to repeated requests for information and clarification.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/...bahrain_obama_middle_east_protests/index.html