World's youngest grandmother at age 23.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Mum-of-two Rifca Stanescu was 12 when she had her first child Maria. She urged her daughter not to follow her example — but Maria gave birth to son Ion while only 11, ‘The Sun’ reported.

Rifca had married jewellery seller Ionel Stanescu when she was 11 and he was 13. They eloped because Rifca feared her father wanted her to marry another village lad in Investi in Romania. She was forgiven when she had her daughter — making her mum, also Maria, a great grandmother at 40.
http://thelinkpaper.ca/?p=5170

This is just sad. I really hope this kid doesn't follow in his mother's and grandmother's footsteps.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
To play devils advocate, and I do think it's a horrible thing, but there is far younger women getting married in other countries such as Ethiopia and other African nations. yes, younger than 11, some younger than 9.

http://www.unfpa.org/swp/2005/presskit/factsheets/facts_child_marriage.htm

I don't agree with it, and this is a sad story, but there is perhaps a cultural aspect to it. I wonder at what age it stops being "shocking." I'm still shocked when I see 16 year old's getting married b/c of pregnancy, but it happens quite a lot.

Last edited:

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
OMG! Grand mother at 23? That is insane. Really really insane!

Edited to say: Oh Scarlet you made Dean all sparkly...mmmmmm....

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
It is sad, but...Scarlett echoed my first thought when I saw the picture.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a different culture, one where a girl of 11 can get legally married. It's only "shocking" if judged by our cultural standards.

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
It might be a different culture, but the child's body adn mental age must still develop at the same rate no matter what the culture...

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I understand the cultural differences but i still find that horrible. No kid should be getting married THAT young. I was simply shocked to think of a child of 10 getting pregnant and having a baby! I mean it wasn't until I was 13 I even got my period, but I guess everyone is different. Wow this story just blows my mind!

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dejavu thread...
Yeah, I don't get the OMG cultural-differences gawking. Let's post pics of tribal folks with big lip extensions and feel superior about how "wrong" and "weird" that is, while conveniently ignoring our own cultural oddities ... like circumcision.

Cosmetic surgeries, hair extensions, botox, extreme obesity ... we could look pretty damned "weird" and "wrong" to other cultures, I'm sure.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
I can't imagine an 11 year old caring for a baby.

Really? I bet it happens all the time in every country on earth. Go visit any number of african nations, E. European nations, Asian nations ... etc, etc, and you'll find pre-teens caring for their infant siblings, or their own children.

In the western nations we think 11 year old's should be playing with dolls, but in other countries 11 year old's are earning their keep. I'm not going to say which is right, or wrong. many cultures do things that I think are peculiar, and other cultures think many things western countries do are peculiar.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
She did not say it did not happen.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
You came across as insinuating that Terri did not believe that this went on in the world. Not being able to imagine something and knowing it happens are two different things. Knock back on the aggression. There are other opinions out there besides your own and you don't get to decide what adds to the discussion and what doesn't.

Last edited:

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
You came across as insinuating that Terri did not believe that this went on in the world. Not being able to imagine something and knowing it happens are two different things. Knock back on the aggression. There are other opinions out there besides your own.

You read my post as aggressive? Here's a suggestion for you, dial back the assumptions, or reading into my words. I didn't say anything mean, nor did I intend it to be mean spirited. You added a tone in your own head.

Saying "I can't imagine" something, usually means it's a foreign concept. I was saying that it's not so strange and offered places where it's very common.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine means they have a hard time picturing it.

Take your own advice for the rest.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MOD NOTE

Dial it back

LMILLER111

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
This story gave me the shivers. How old was the father?

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Clearly not, if she was fertile at that age.

Sexual maturity comes on younger and younger these days. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38600414/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/

But I definitely disagree with the idea that culture doesn't affect mental aging. When children take on adult roles at an earlier age they adapt more quickly. The Masai children come to mind. Let me see if I can find a link... (Unfortunately not a study showing how they mature more quickly, but it does show how they are delegated essential tasks as early as four years old.) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38600414/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/