Child Killer to get early release for good behavior.

Should Early release for good behavior be an option?

• Total voters

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
http://www.corrections.com/news/article/28134-good-behavior-could-set-child-killer-free

Yesterday, the father of slain Jason Foreman, stated he would kill Michael Woodmansee if he was allowed to be released early from his forty year prison term which followed the conviction in 1982. Woodmansee may be eligible for early release later this year as the result of terms in a plea bargain entered into at the time of the conviction. Woodmansee was convicted of the 1975 murder of 5-year-old Jason Foreman in South Kingstown, Rhode Island.

For another account.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/child-kill...arly-release-victims-father/story?id=13086509

I saw this on tv, where the family said this man had spent most of his time in solitary. He gets time off for good behavior because he didn't fight and because he had a job 2 days a week.

Thoughts?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
If someone has honestly and truly changed, then all the power to them. It's hard to change yourself, even in superficial ways. But I believe that people can do whatever they truly set their mind too, and if he managed it...good for him.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Conceptually, I agree with what Zombie & Willibee. However, I just cannot accept that someone like this deserves the chance to be free. Murdering a 5 year old boy, eating him? No, there are some people who should never see the light of day. And there's nothing that I've heard that suggests he's a better person. He's a monster. It may be an emotional reaction on my part, but so be it. Of course he didn't commit any crimes while away. No children there. He was kept away from anyone who would want to hurt him.

Sorry, I can't get over what he did.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Even if this guy did change, I just don't see the excuse of killing a kid, especially one too young to even defend himself. There's something mentally wrong with that. The guy should get a good douse of electroshock therapy before being released.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Just my opinion, but a man who kills and eats the flesh of a 5 year old boy doesn't change for the better by spending 30 years in solitary.

He agreed to do 40 years, he needs to do 40. I just pray he's old enough and toothless enough when he gets out that he can't harm anyone else.

Ironically, I'm watching a show about Ted Bundy as I write this. Another very sick, twisted bastard - I had forgotten he'd kidnapped a 12 year old girl from her school and murdered her.

Reaction score
If you eat a 5 year old, you really shouldn't be allowed out of prison.

The most interesting part of the story is how the father said in a radio interview that he was going to kill the guy if he's released.

Just flat out. Yeah, I'm gonna kill him.

Can't say blame him.

I'm pretty sure the only way I could ever take another human life is if someone harmed a family member.

And quite frankly, if I were on the jury of the fathers trial, I would acquit.

I don't even care.

The guy ATE his child.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So he kills a boy, eats parts of him, ruins the lives of many other people who have to live the rest of lives, knowing what happened to their son, brother etc... And now may be being set free for good behaviour. Yup, there is something terribly wrong with the system.

And what the hell were they doing to start with, bargaining with him during his trial? You have to wonder about the people directly involved with that crap. Would they have felt the same if it was their child?

ETA: I did not vote on the poll. I dislike 'public polls'.

I do think it should be based on a case by case basis, and what the actual crime was. I have no sympathy for child killers or pedophiles.

Last edited:

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.corrections.com/news/article/28134-good-behavior-could-set-child-killer-free

Yesterday, the father of slain Jason Foreman, stated he would kill Michael Woodmansee if he was allowed to be released early from his forty year prison term which followed the conviction in 1982. Woodmansee may be eligible for early release later this year as the result of terms in a plea bargain entered into at the time of the conviction. Woodmansee was convicted of the 1975 murder of 5-year-old Jason Foreman in South Kingstown, Rhode Island.

For another account.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/child-kill...arly-release-victims-father/story?id=13086509

I saw this on tv, where the family said this man had spent most of his time in solitary. He gets time off for good behavior because he didn't fight and because he had a job 2 days a week.

Thoughts?

I can tell you right now that I would kill anyone who hurt my child, never mind killed my child. Be warned, sickos.

Last edited:

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
If anyone watches the show Snapped you've probably seen this story, but there was a woman who found video of her husband raping her daughter...multiple videos. She shot and killed him. She had to go through trial and do some jail time, but her sentence was mighty light. I don't blame her one bit, and I wouldn't blame the father of this child for killing his son's murderer either.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Early release should never be applicable to violent crimes. Particularly in the case of some who killed and ate a five year old. He shouldn't ever be let out of prison.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I do not believe in early release for any reason other than exoneration. No parole. No time off for good behavior. Not ever.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So he kills a boy, eats parts of him, ruins the lives of many other people who have to live the rest of lives, knowing what happened to their son, brother etc... And now may be being set free for good behaviour. Yup, there is something terribly wrong with the system.

And what the hell were they doing to start with, bargaining with him during his trial? You have to wonder about the people directly involved with that crap. Would they have felt the same if it was their child?

ETA: I did not vote on the poll. I dislike 'public polls'.

I do think it should be based on a case by case basis, and what the actual crime was. I have no sympathy for child killers or pedophiles.

According to the article the father was aware of the plea deal and agreed because he didn't think he could cope with having to hear all the gruesome details during the trial.

The prosecutor did not think the plea deal would result in this short a sentence.

My opinion. Lock the guy away forever and forget where the key was put.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
As is too often the case, there is much missing from this story.

From page two of the ABC link:

Woodmansee is scheduled to be released in August. He's currently undergoing mental health evaluations, according to police.

Just because he's scheduled, doesn't mean he's getting out. If something looks wrong in the evaluations (or perhaps if the public outcry is large enough), he might not be getting out.

The stories also don't give us anything on what kinds of therapy or treatment (if any) the individual went through during his time in prison.

Conceptually, I agree with what Zombie & Willibee.

Only if you understood where I said "for better or worse".

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
That man should never be released. Ever. There are some pathologies that no jail sentence can 'cure'. If he gets out and the father doesn't kill him, I suspect he'll do the same to another child eventually.

I don't believe in early release for good behavior. If you are sentenced to x amount of years, you should serve every day of that sentence. But I also believe that some things, like child murder, should carry a mandatory life sentence and/or the death penalty.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com

<snipped>

This. This. This. A thousand times over.

I'm glad he was so well-behaved. Brought that little boy right back, didn't it? oh... wait... /sarcasm.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
The stories also don't give us anything on what kinds of therapy or treatment (if any) the individual went through during his time in prison.

In this case, it would not make a difference to me, or sway my opinion.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I am all for second chances, and yes, many people change. But for violent crimes against another living being? Someone who could kill and eat a 5 year old child? There is no change for a person like that. No redemption. There is something mentally wrong or missing in a person that could torture, kill, or rape anyone.

Those people should not get time off for good behavior. Hell, I don't understand how a person like that could only get 40 years. Plea deal...what a joke. A person like that should rot in prison or automatically get the death sentence. Or better yet, put him in gen pop and let the other inmates take care of the problem.

I don't blame that father at all for what he said (or for the woman above that shot her husband for raping their daughter). I say good for them.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's just my opinion, but any person that can murder a child and shellac their skull for a keepsake is beyond any type of rehabilitation.

Last edited:

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
And, there's the fact that he tried to do this to another boy that escaped, which is how he was caught in the first place. That indicates a pattern to me, one that we can't understand, one that we shouldn't take chances with.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
And, there's the fact that he tried to do this to another boy that escaped, which is how he was caught in the first place. That indicates a pattern to me, one that we can't understand, one that we shouldn't take chances with.

Exactly. And he's had lots of time in prison with his dark fantasies, and he's probably come up with dozens of ways to 'do it better the next time' so he won't get caught.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. And he's had lots of time in prison with his dark fantasies, and he's probably come up with dozens of ways to 'do it better the next time' so he won't get caught.

That scares the heck out of me. I'd be very on edge these days if I had children of my own.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com

OR he's developed the plans for a time machine and will go back and not get caught.

Look, it is natural to "what if" -- more than natural here at AW, it's a job skill.

The "pitchfork and torches" path of agitation and worst case scenario has been traveled so often as to have become an easy, downhill journey.

Again, there is only so much fact that we have from this, so far.

Probably the most important of which are the names of the people to write and call to express an opinion.
NBC News reported that Attorney General Peter Kilmartin is outraged by the possibility of Michael Woodmansee’s early released and is concerned over what this situation may esculate to. Amy Kempe, as spokesperson for the Attorney General, told NBC that Kilmartin had contacted the Rhode Island Department of Corrections to find ways to prevent the release; however, Patricia Coyne-Fague, legal counsel for the RI Department of Corrections, states the only way to prevent the early release for good behavior of an inmate is if the inmate does something wrong.

ETA: A link to Director Wall
And Mr. Delfino, the Administrator of Probation and Parole
And Governor Chafee.

Last edited: