Hi, College Student. Short Biography. COME IN!

Candide

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

College student here and I need help! Lots of it. For example, am I really cut out for this writing thing? I often feel like I’m not. This problem is accentuated, because all my friends are in technical majors and despise literature and reading – both of which make me excited -- leaving me with no one to communicate with. Ironically, I haven’t read or wrote much. I’m one of those people that talks about writing, whose head swims with these grand scenes, but end up with nothing to show for it. I look at the paper, well really the text document, and shrivel up in horror. Anything I put on there is bad and writing in gratuity leads back to “bad”. It might not be bad and some of it probably isn’t. But, it’s that inner demon, that little lumberjack deep in my heart chopping away my Ego Forest, or something.

I am also emotionally dead. I mean I can’t express emotions well, namely anything that has to do with expressing grief and sometimes happiness. I am a ball of gloom, but ironically I am terribly optimistic. However, no one really knows the gloam my mind shambles through. Because I don’t show it and no I don’t hide it – it just doesn’t come out, back to that whole expressing and emotionally dead thing. I hate people and am the most misanthropic person I’ve ever met, but then there’s that optimism thing.

I don’t want to be one of those people who talk about my book and pine over how awesome it’s going to be, but at the end of the day instead of being wide awake writing I’m wide awake thinking about writing. I spent two hours in my bed last night, tossing and turning, thinking about writing. I wrote, too. But just a mere 500 words, I felt like I was all over the place. I thought my character development was weak. Yes. I know. That was when I finally opened up one of my writing magazines and looked at the list of forums to visit. I scrolled through here last night and decided if I could frequent another forum then I could frequent this forum and maybe actually grow. I am a very creative-orientated person. I mean to say, I’m not creative, I want to be creative, I want to write and paint worlds (and paint stuff with, you know, paint!). I want to get lost in my mind and find my way out and let the world see it. It doesn’t have to be successful, it just has to be.

I feel like, every moment, I haven’t read enough to warrant me writing. I don’t know if that makes sense, but nearly every time I go to push pen to paper or finger to key I buckle and shake and back away. I back away because I feel like I need to go ravage a library and shake the knowledge out of every word I can find. I get thirsty. God awfully thirsty, but then what do I do? Well, that’s where it gets complicated.

It’s a horrible web that I haven’t managed to get out of. I recently found a 3 page story I wrote when I was 11. It was quite possibly the best thing I have ever written. Because it was complete.

That’s what I want.

I come in request of help and in return I hope that I can help you all, too – somehow.

P.S. There it is again. All over the place, but I feel like I need to shout this at people that understand the itch that I have. Maybe then I can get my ass in gear and properly scratch. So, its nice meeting ya’ll. ;)

HEEEEEEELPPPP!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Aylaa

Uncharacteristic is my character
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, find a routine that you're comfortable with. I live at a coffee shop reading writing for hours at time locked away with headphones pressed to my ears.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.
(Candide is one of my favorite books... Glad my history teacher let me borrow it xP )

~Amber~

vampgirl278

I DO believe in fairies and magic!
Registered
Reaction score
I think you have the potential to be a WONDERFUL writer... just based on some of the things in your intro... like the lumber jack thing, that was great. You just need a little direction, maybe... and this forum is great for that. I hope you find what you're looking for... and if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. I'm still fairly new to it all myself, but... you know... I'm always happy to help if I can :)

LaLa

Registered
Reaction score
I’m one of those people that talks about writing, whose head swims with these grand scenes, but end up with nothing to show for it. I look at the paper, well really the text document, and shrivel up in horror.

This is normal.

I don't mean to sound dismissive -- I'm not. God knows I've spent enough time imagining my masterpieces; their content, tone, reception and how utterly satisfied I'll be to see them existing. Sometimes it's almost a surprise to get back to reality and realize they're not here. And the blank page and blinking cursor haunt us all.

I hate to sound like a self-help book, but... just start writing and give yourself permission to be crap. If you have some natural aptitude, and are prepared to ramble on for long enough, you'll be surprised to see how effective this can be.

I feel like, every moment, I haven’t read enough to warrant me writing. I don’t know if that makes sense, but nearly every time I go to push pen to paper or finger to key I buckle and shake and back away. I back away because I feel like I need to go ravage a library and shake the knowledge out of every word I can find.

See above. On the one hand, it's positively dreadful if you have read a lot -- then you know when you're being crap and unoriginal, rather than just suspecting it. But, on the other: read everything you can get your hands on. However demoralizing it seems, it's eventually very productive, and is essentially invaluable.

(And I think it's a good sign if you worry you haven't read enough, as this at least means you've read something. People who've read almost nothing tend not to worry about it.)

For what it's worth, I think your post was well-written and showed obvious talent for writing. Unfortunately, I'm not a publisher, editor, literary agent, or Oprah, but I do own many leather-bound books.

This is copied exactly from a post-it on my laptop, so don't take offense:

WRITE SOMETHING
WRITE SOMETHING
FOR GOD'S SAKE JUST WRITE SOMETHING

Good luck.

Craig Mattice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aboutcraigmattice.com
"WELCOME" to AW!

You are going to be so glad you came here and I believe the value you receive to assist you on so many levels will greatly impress you to your goals.

Starting out with well thought out questions and understanding your own position is an advantage. AW has outstanding resources, freely shared member knowledge and experiences and I'm confident you will receive quality answers to your questions.

Again, welcome and take advantage of the expertise available to you.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome. I think you'll find lots of help on these boards. There is just so darned much info here. Jump in to the writing pool - the water's fine. You'll never know how good or bad you are until you try. :) Oh, and having read a lot is no guarantee one is any good or confident. I've probably read a couple thousand books and I still worry my work is garbage.

Best of luck!

J'Dubee

I make tall stories short
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdubee.com
" I recently found a 3 page story I wrote when I was 11. It was quite possibly the best thing I have ever written. Because it was complete."

methinks you've answered your own questions.

Candide

Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow guys. I didn’t expect all this.

Not sure how many of you will be coming back to check for a reply, but I’ll reply anyway.

@Cactuswendy I like popcorn artery clogging, plenty of butter. Easy on the salt. I’ve read through the Newbie guide and kind of orientated myself before initially signing up. Thanks!

@Aylaa I’ve been trying to figure out a successful routine. I would like to wake up at dawn, but I sleep like a bear in winter. I’ve contemplated starting late at night, which is what I did last night. But I have classes early in the morning and if I don’t get at least 18 hours of sleep I become an angry man.

@VampyrePrincess Thanks. Voltaire is one of my favorites. Candide is one of those stories that keeps you giggly even when you don’t want to be laughing.

@Vampgirl278 Thank you very much! Kind words go a long way. I will be sure
to let you know if I am need of help. I would be happy to help you, too.

@LaLa Don’t worry, you didn’t come off dismissive. You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I’ve done all that and still do it like a dolt. Any advice is always welcome. I had a post it similar to that; I even had a post it on my desktop wallpaper. Needless to say it didn’t really stir me. Not like I wanted it to, anyway. Your post gave me a good grin and laugh. It encouraged me. Thank you.

@Craig Mattice Thanks for the warm welcome. I plan on staying a long time.

@Nickie Well hello.

@regdog Yessir, I’ve read the guide. I tend to be slow on post counts, but I guess I’ll have to change that. With thoughtful posts and not spam, of course.

@jvc I’ll be paying the pub a visit soon ;).

@Dragonstar I will take the plunge and try. Even though I still get that need to grab a book and shake it forcefully.

@J’Dubee Indeed. That is the answer to my query. I just need to figure out how to get to that point.

@thehairymob :hooray::hi: to you too.

Alright. Now I’ll speak a little more about me. Last night I took to the old word processor again and just started writing. Then the story started streaming through my fingers without thinking – something not new, but a favorite experience. When I went back to read it I realized that I really liked this idea. I liked it a lot, more than anything I’ve done before. So I’m just going to keep writing randomly and see how far I can take it before really putting bones into it.

Oh, something I wanted to mention. That other forum I frequent is for painting and modeling. Just another nugget of my life for ya’ll to examine. Of course I’ll be spending the majority of my time here ;).

Ephiam

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I oftentimes have similar writing troubles. I'll plan everything out in my head, witness it all come to life and even get this overwhelming feeling of greatness for what I've created, and then... realize that I've yet to actually WRITE any of it. I just seize up every time, and fear making mistakes left, right, and center. But when I DO start to write I'm glued to the keyboard/notepad and I never want to stop. It's very strange.

1000th Sun

Registered
Reaction score
I'm appalled no one has tried to quote Candide in this thread. :(

SinisterCola

The Caffeine Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I just graduated from college but I still feel like a college student!

Anyway, I've been here for over a week and I've gotten a lot of tips already! I'm sure you will find the help you are looking for on this site!

(Plus this place is a lot of fun to be at :) ).

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Candide, Welcome to AW!
While I was reading your intro, your descriptions of your mind patterns spawned the idea of random-writing as a possible suggestion to you. Then later, you wrote this:
Last night I took to the old word processor again and just started writing. Then the story started streaming through my fingers without thinking – something not new, but a favorite experience. When I went back to read it I realized that I really liked this idea. I liked it a lot, more than anything I’ve done before. So I’m just going to keep writing randomly and see how far I can take it before really putting bones into it.
Interesting. I'm new to AW but not to a couple other writing forums although I will observe, without reservation, that AW is the most productive, valuable, friendly (for the most part), helpful, witty, expansive and funny writing forum that I've stumbled into. Sixteen months ago I began writing with the weak image that something I write might be publishable after an English teacher, in 1963, told me that I should pursue writing. I finally listened to him. Yeah, alright, I'm an old fart!

So, I recently e-shipped some of my writing to my brother who is a fine arts professor at Penn State. His artist-perspective input has been surprisingly helpful (though I would not dare tell him that). In a recent email to him, I expressed this view of writing fiction: The author of fiction is not the writer but, rather, only the first reader. The story is out there in the ether and the author is simply lucky enough to be the first to discover it and put it on paper, literally or figuratively.

I realize that some authors prefer to have a story planned from beginning to end. I, like most, can't, or perhaps, won't, do that. I've found that an open-ended story, which all of mine are, provides me with as much surprise as I hope subsequent readers find. Since I don't know how the story will end while typing, I have become the first reader. Besides, for me anyway, I couldn't plan the entire story out because: Control is an illusion.

Best of luck with your discovery!

mysterymantis

Registered
Reaction score
Yo!

Wow, that was a lot. But it's ok, since I feel a lot of your pain. I wanted to be a writer since I was 11 (approximately), and wrote frequently in school. Well, for reasons I don't want to go into now, I didn't write after HS was over. I didn't write again until I was 26, and that became my first full length MS. IIRC, it took me at least 2 years to write it, probably closer to three, and then another year to edit.
The reality of writing is that you have to do it for it to happen. So do it. Don't concern yourself with the BS of the technical side of things, just write. Understand, also, that it might take you years to finish a MS, and even then, there is no guarantee it will ever be published (should that be your desire).

This is a shortened version of a metaphor I came up with for writing, that I think will work for you....

Think of writing like playing a game of billiards. Not the utlra-precise version where you have to call your shots, but rather, a game of slop. Slop means you hit the cue as hard as you can, and let it smash into as many balls as it wants too. Those balls can then also smash around, and eventually, you will have one fall into a pocket. That pocket is where your story will really take shape, and the chaos will lift a bit. The more balls you pocket after that, the closer to finishing you are. Then it becomes a precision game, once all that is left on the table is what you haven't hammered into a pocket yet.

Good luck, and get busy!

Candide

Registered
Reaction score
@SinisterCola Haha, I know what you mean. I’ve been in slugging through my College progression for a few years now and still feel like I’m a kid, albeit with the ability to go to bars and act like an idiot. I imagine when I get out of College I will feel like a kid. Still. Hah. Thanks!

@JoeBear That is an interesting theory. I concur that I lack the ability to properly plan. In fact, with the batch of words I wrote last night I have tried forcibly to not think about it. It has caused an interesting reaction, which I didn’t expect. I’ve wanted to write voraciously all day, but I’ve not allowed myself the pleasure yet. Building up the anticipation, in the hopes that the story will spill out easily again.

@mysterymantis Sorry, it was quite a bit for an introductory post :p. I like your metaphor and I will get busy! I plan on doing just that tonight. Probably going to set up one of those ticker things so I can feel the elation of progress.

Thanks for all the kind and encouraging comments. They have gone a long way, already.

BRDurkin

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bryanrdurkin.blogspot.com
Welcome aboard, Candide. I'm sure you'll find plenty of help here. You've already taken things one step further than most would-be "writers" by looking for tips and info. It's a good start! I look forward to maybe seeing some of your writing in the future.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I think I remember college- welcome and :hi:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I spent two hours in my bed last night, tossing and turning, thinking about writing. I wrote, too. But just a mere 500 words, I felt like I was all over the place. I thought my character development was weak.

Welcome!

Hey, 500 words down is 500 words more than you had. Never knock forward progress, even if it's slow. (-:

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses as writers. Even Big Name Authors, if you read enough of their works and pay attention, you can often spot what comes easy and what comes hard to them (and over time, you can see the good ones improve on their weak spots.) So being aware of what's difficult for you is a victory of sorts, because it means you can give it extra attention as you go, or in revisions, to get it to where you want to be.

To jump off your lumberjack analogy, writing a story is akin to turning a tree into a silky-smooth piece of fine furniture. You chop it up with an axe, hack the extra bits off, then you stick all the parts together that it structurally needs to function. And then you sand. And you sand and you sand and you sand, starting with a course-grit paper and working your way down to a really fine one. And at some point you put down the sandpaper and close your eyes and run your hands down the board, and when you hit a spot that's not as smooth as the rest, you just put a little more elbow-grease into that spot. Repeat until the whole board feels as smooth as can be. The key is to learn not to expect smooth when you're just picking up the axe for the first swing. (-:

-Suzanne