PDA

View Full Version : What is Write 1 Sub 1?

Izz
03-13-2011, 04:19 AM
Good question. I'm glad you asked. :)

In a nutshell, Write1Sub1 is a challenge to write one story every week, or month, and submit it. You don't have to sub it the same week or month, but it will need to be subbed at some stage. Check this out (http://write1sub1.blogspot.com/p/details.html) for more details of what's involved.

Write1Sub1 (http://write1sub1.blogspot.com/) is the brainchild of Stephen Ramey (http://stephenvramey.wordpress.com/), Simon Kewin (http://spellmaking.blogspot.com/) and Milo James Fowler (http://www.milo-inmediasres.com/). They credit their major inspiration as Ray Bradbury, who diligently wrote and subbed a short story every week for decades. Here Mr. Bradbury is (http://write1sub1.blogspot.com/p/ray-bradbury-on-persistent-writing.html), talking about his approach. Let's hope W1S1 can unearth some more Bradburys.

While the challenge is officially a year-long one, people can join up at any stage. The idea behind it is to build up good longterm writing and submitting habits. You can also tailor the challenge to fit your available time and energy. Perhaps one story a week is too much, but one a month too little. Why not go for two a month?

This subforum is here to act as a base of operations for any AWers who have taken up the challenge. It'll be a place to encourage one another, congratulate one another, commiserate with one another, advise one another.

All are welcome. Let's take over the short fiction world!

(if you have any other questions, feel free to ask them here)

p.s. even if you're not W1S1-ing, feel free to hang out with us. We love the company, and the more variety the better :)

dandelionheart
03-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Such a great idea. This is similar to project 365--a picture a day for a year. I am doing that now and love it. It is always nice to have set goals in mind to stay motivated.

Izz
03-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Such a great idea. This is similar to project 365--a picture a day for a year. I am doing that now and love it. It is always nice to have set goals in mind to stay motivated.You're on the money, Megan. And hanging out with a group of people who have similar goals also helps with the whole motivation thang.

Project 365 sounds like fun!

Feel free to hang out in any of the threads here, even if you're not participating in the challenge. Diversity leads to inspiration, right? :)

WildScribe
03-15-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm already kinda sorta doing something like this, but it was more a vague "write more" concept and less a detailed plan. I like your way better! ;)

In other words... I'm in. **scampers off to plot**

dandelionheart
03-15-2011, 07:50 AM
You're on the money, Megan. And hanging out with a group of people who have similar goals also helps with the whole motivation thang.

Project 365 sounds like fun!

Feel free to hang out in any of the threads here, even if you're not participating in the challenge. Diversity leads to inspiration, right? :)

Project 365 is a lot of fun.

When you say it also helps to hang out with a group of people with similar goals it helps...it really does. I love this community so much. I have only been here at AW for a short time but I have gained so much from the insight of the members here.

I am going to do the w1s1 challenge. I think it is a great idea. I can't wait to share and see more here on the boards.

Izz
03-15-2011, 08:12 AM
I'm already kinda sorta doing something like this, but it was more a vague "write more" concept and less a detailed plan. I like your way better! ;)

In other words... I'm in. **scampers off to plot**w00t! Another sucker, erm, enthusiastic participant!

:welcome: to W1S1, WildScribe. Make yourself at home in the bar, and any of the the other threads in our wee room.

(btw: i can't claim any credit for the concept. alexshvartsman came across the W1S1 blog and recommended it in a thread, and i picked it up and ran with it. but yes, it is great!)

Project 365 is a lot of fun.

When you say it also helps to hang out with a group of people with similar goals it helps...it really does. I love this community so much. I have only been here at AW for a short time but I have gained so much from the insight of the members here.

I am going to do the w1s1 challenge. I think it is a great idea. I can't wait to share and see more here on the boards.Yay! :hooray: Welcome, Megan!

*rushes off to drag two more seats into the bar*

Side note: To officially sign up on the W1S1 blog (so the organizers know you're playing), all you need to do is follow the blog. Simple, huh?

WildScribe
03-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Well, I subbed one this week (yesterday, actually), but I haven't gotten any writing done. Well, scratch that, I've written a ton this week, but no fiction. I'm off to pick a market and see about remedying that. Wish me luck...

Izz
03-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Write hard, WS!

dandelionheart
03-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Hey Everyone,

Still working on this weeks write1-I have the latest draft up now in SYW (POST #19):

There is an Alligator in My Bathtub! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207849

I think it is coming along. I have had some great feedback and advice so far--thanks AWers!!

And a special thanks to Izz-I appreciate your crit :)

Izz
03-18-2011, 12:07 AM
NP, Megan. I hope it helped in some way. Write hard!

Also, if you want to hang out with other W1S1ers, try out the W1S1 Super Magnificent Bar of Wonder (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207538) (subject to name change at my whim :D).

matdonna
03-23-2011, 04:45 AM
I just signed up and put the badge on my blog.....thanks for the invite, Izz!

But now I must go back to story # 2, which needs to move on from Scene !......

Izz
03-23-2011, 05:01 AM
Yay, matdonna! :snoopy:

If you need a hug or a kick, or want to brag, or just hang out, there's plenty of places to do that (and anything else you want to do) here in the W1S1 subforum.

MonikaRuth
04-24-2011, 05:02 AM
This is such an awesome concept! I just have a problem with short fiction... everything I write tends to grow to an awkward length. Sigh.

Izz
04-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Hi Monika. Yes, it's a concept made purely of awesome, isn't it?

Feel free to hang out with us here in the W1S1 subforum, even if short fiction's not your cuppa :)

JennieRose8
07-02-2011, 03:11 AM
This sounds really interesting, though I'm a novel writer, myself. Not sure I know how to write a short story anymore. Lol

lacygnette
07-05-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm in the write 10, sub 1 category. I think I'll take up this challenge - I need something to get me putting my work out there! (I've been a closet writer for years...) Thanks for the great idea.

Izz
07-05-2011, 03:13 AM
Awesome, lacygnette, and :welcome: to W1S1 :)

Jennie, feel free to hang out with us even if you're not writing short stories. Motivation can come from many places.

zanzjan
07-05-2011, 05:57 AM
This sounds really interesting, though I'm a novel writer, myself. Not sure I know how to write a short story anymore. Lol

I do believe we're working on a variant for those of us who write novels. Either way, welcome! (-:

-Suzanne

Izz
07-05-2011, 06:19 AM
I do believe we're working on a variant for those of us who write novels. Either way, welcome! (-:

-SuzanneYes, we are (i'd nearly forgotten; naughty Izz). It'll be launching Nov 1st. There's a thread discussing it here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216037).

Bartholomew
07-05-2011, 06:21 AM
I'm in. =) What're you supposed to do with the 4 stories a week that get rejected?

Izz
07-05-2011, 06:43 AM
I'm in. =)Awesome. Welcome along, Bart! What're you supposed to do with the 4 stories a week that get rejected?Why, send them back out, of course. :D

As an aside: i just sold a story last week that was at its 16th market. I'm glad i persevered with it.

Bartholomew
07-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Great work, Izz! =)

Kamina
07-06-2011, 03:20 AM
I think this is a great idea!

EDIT IN
Are there constraints on length? How short are these short stories? Say I set the goal to have myself put out a short story once a week, is that based on myself or another standard?

Izz
07-06-2011, 06:51 AM
I think this is a great idea!Awesome. :snoopy: Welcome aboard, Kamina!

EDIT IN
Are there constraints on length? How short are these short stories? Say I set the goal to have myself put out a short story once a week, is that based on myself or another standard?It's pretty much based on yourself. Seeing as the plan is to try to sell these short stories, it's probably a good idea to look at what lengths short story markets accept. The upper length is usually 10,000 words, which is technically novelette territory, but certainly gives you plenty of room to work within.

Feel free to hang out with us at the bar and anywhere else here in the subforum, and don't forget to introduce yourself over at the official blog (write1sub1.blogspot.com) when they next have a check-in.

:)
Izz

Mel-o-rama
07-22-2011, 01:23 AM
Hope it's not too late to join. On 7/1, I started an official one-year short story blitzkrieg. I'll check out the blog tonight.

Izz
07-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Hope it's not too late to join. On 7/1, I started an official one-year short story blitzkrieg. I'll check out the blog tonight.It's never too late to join. We're going to be running an ongoing version of the challenge here at AW so peeps can join up whenever they want.

:welcome: to W1S1, Mel! Write hard!

alexshvartsman
07-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Welcome to the club Mel! Others might have jackets. We have rejection slips! :)

Wordcaster
07-25-2011, 05:35 PM
The W1S1 concept is interesting, particularly because it falls right in line with my writing productivity goals: write 1 short story a month and complete 1 novel per year. I'm behind this year with accomplishing that goal, but hope to continue at that pace from here on out.

alexshvartsman
07-26-2011, 03:09 AM
Good luck with your goals Wordcaster! Hope you hang out with us and share your progress.

KalenO
07-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Huh. Just found this but it sounds awesome. Joining in now!

Izz
07-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Yay, KalenO! :hooray: Welcome along.

September
07-27-2011, 12:38 AM
I'm so tempted to join in with this, but knowing me I would fall off the wagon, especially after I go to college in the fall. Hmmm...

Izz
07-27-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm so tempted to join in with this, but knowing me I would fall off the wagon, especially after I go to college in the fall. Hmmm...Don't let that scare you away. I've fallen off the wagon so many times already that i'm now chasing behind it.

Step 1) Structure the challenge in a way that you think will benefit your writing the most, but don't get yourself down if you sometimes fall short.

Step 2) Hang out with us. :)

September
07-28-2011, 03:37 AM
Don't let that scare you away. I've fallen off the wagon so many times already that i'm now chasing behind it.

Step 1) Structure the challenge in a way that you think will benefit your writing the most, but don't get yourself down if you sometimes fall short.

Step 2) Hang out with us. :)

You sold me, I'm in. Looking forward to this. :)

Izz
07-28-2011, 03:45 AM
w00t! :snoopy: :welcome: aboard!

sammyjwebb
07-28-2011, 06:37 AM
You sold me, I'm in. Looking forward to this. :)

And Izz does it again!

Welcome to the group:partyguy:

AnnieColleen
07-28-2011, 07:27 AM
I hope none of the new folks are bothered by crickets........

Welcome!

September
07-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Wow, thanks for the welcome, everyone! :D

Celesta
07-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Questions:

Is it too late to join? What if I want to take November off? I'm scared (ok, that's not a question)...is this really just a waste of time or do you think it would really work for me? I've been having moderate success in the self-publishing world...do I really want to set myself up for...rejections?

BlackFlag
07-28-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm going to give this a shot and submit something. Only problem is, I don't know where to submit my story too! There's so many markets. . .it's very confusing!

Also, should I submit to more then one? Should I submit to paid or non paying? etc.

AnnieColleen
07-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Celesta -- never too late to join! Not a waste of time, either -- if nothing else, it's practice. And I think with this group you get medals for rejections. ;) (or at least parties. There are definitely parties.)

BlackFlag, welcome! :D

One story to one market at a time, unless they specify simultaneous subs are ok. Start with paying & work your way down (unless there's a non-paying market you really like). And, good luck!

alexshvartsman
07-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Celesta: It's never too late to join and this whole thing is flexible. You can take vacations any time you want (even if it's for an entire month of November!) and we tend to help each other with the rejections. So in short, there's no good reason for you not to try it out :)

Celesta
07-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Okay, I'm going to try it!

Nexus
08-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Hi.

I feel like a dumbass asking this, but what does sub mean?

Submit? That's my best guess since it fits with what you are getting at. I just want to make sure.

shelleyo
08-04-2011, 03:26 AM
Hi.

I feel like a dumbass asking this, but what does sub mean?

Submit? That's my best guess since it fits with what you are getting at. I just want to make sure.

Yup! (Not on the dumbass part, but the submit part. :) )

Shelley

V1c
08-05-2011, 08:54 AM
I wanted to say, "Hi!" since I've been lurking around for the past couple months reading all your threads. I'm trying to create something as close to a schedule for my writing as my scattered mind will allow, and think this might help (even if I maintain a lurker with sporadic posts).

So, hello!

shelleyo
08-05-2011, 09:02 AM
I wanted to say, "Hi!" since I've been lurking around for the past couple months reading all your threads. I'm trying to create something as close to a schedule for my writing as my scattered mind will allow, and think this might help (even if I maintain a lurker with sporadic posts).

So, hello!

I thought I saw someone creeping around out there....

Welcome!

Shelley

V1c
08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
I thought I saw someone creeping around out there....

Welcome!

Shelley

Yeah, I'm a bit clumsy and was the one that knocked over the vase, sorry about that. Hope it wasn't Ming or something.

Eddyz Aquila
08-05-2011, 03:48 PM
This is a magnificent idea, kudos to those who implemented it on AW. :)

PulpDogg
08-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Fantastic idea ... I think I'll join. Problem is though ... I am the worlds biggest procrastinator, so me saying I'll join doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

But the idea is great ... and might get to write more and flesh out a few short story ideas I have.

alexshvartsman
08-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Welcome V1c, Eddyz and TheBigEasy.

The procrastinator part is really helped by the whole W1S1 thing. That's pretty much the idea. Hang out with us, write, share your successes and failures and before you know it you might improve your productivity. Well, a little, anyway :)

Tienci
08-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Welcome V1c, Eddyz and TheBigEasy.

The procrastinator part is really helped by the whole W1S1 thing. That's pretty much the idea. Hang out with us, write, share your successes and failures and before you know it you might improve your productivity. Well, a little, anyway :)

Co-signing with Alex.
In 2009, I wrote a grand total of one short story for the year, an adaptation of a short film I wrote.
In 2010, again, one short story written--a flash piece @ 600 words for NPR's 3 minute fiction contest.

This year, because of W1S1, 12 new stories so far so it's helped a bit. :D

Candystar
08-13-2011, 03:26 PM
(<_< so I'm very new. The person above me has been a member since 2005 and I thought that meant this thread was last visited in 2005. Oh dear. so I'm posting again... and sorry for making a mess of things.)

Writing a story a week sounds exciting and challenging. Submitting a story a week sounds horrifying. I'm too scared to submit my stories... it's like saying they're done, and I have to release them into the ether. Like I have said all I can say on them.

What if I write a story and week, but don't submit them? I :P

alexshvartsman
08-13-2011, 07:27 PM
If you don't submit your stories your end result will be exactly the same as getting all the stories rejected. So given that, why not try and see if you might get an acceptance? :)

zanzjan
08-13-2011, 07:43 PM
If you don't submit your stories your end result will be exactly the same as getting all the stories rejected. So given that, why not try and see if you might get an acceptance? :)

Not quite, because every Large Round Number of rejections you're allowed to throw yourself a big party, so no rejections = no party, and what fun is that?

(Also, welcome, candystar. There's also a monthly W1S1 if weekly seems a bit steep, and there's a thread here for getting out one's post-rejection blues in the company of friends. If you're gonna do it, this is the best place. :) )

-Suzanne

PenmonkeyAl
08-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Question where do we submit our works? I am interested in joining since I have a few ideas. No idea how long I can last for but this does sound like fun.

alexshvartsman
08-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Zilva: It depends on what kind of stuff you write. Duotrope.com is an excellent resource for finding magazines and other various publishers to submit to. And if you have a story that's just difficult to classify, you can always ask the advice of the folks here, especially if it's a spec fic piece, as a large proportion of us write that.

EnitaMeadows
08-16-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm so grateful for this thread; I had absolutely no clue what W1S1 meant. Now that I know, it sounds kind of interesting. Maybe upon the new year, I'll take the challenge, although it may be difficult since I'm more of a novelist.

mfowler76
08-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Enita: Welcome! Visit our site anytime for details and updates: Write1Sub1 (http://write1sub1.blogspot.com/)

Eva Lefoy
08-22-2011, 07:29 AM
My question would be, where do you submit the works? Is there a resource on AW that might have those answers?

Ah, I see you've answered that question up above -- sorta. Is there a list of literary magazines and also erotica sites that one can sub to though? What about SciFi?

For those of us that write a little bit of everything....

And, how about self-publishing? Anybody tackling that dog in W1S1?

Celesta
08-22-2011, 07:43 AM
I've decided to send each story out 3 times and then self-publish them.

Tienci
08-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi Jarrah--Duotrope (http://www.duotrope.com/) has a filter for all of those i.e., in the "Genre" field, you can choose Erotica or Sci-Fi or even Western if you'd like.
I'd advise leaving the "Subgenre" and even the "Style" field open though--at least at first; in fact, I'd recommend then choosing only "Length" and "Payscale" and seeing what comes up. Narrow it further if the results are overwhelming.

ETA--Personally, I'd sub at least 15 times before even considering any other options (besides re-working/re-writing).
My first sold story got 6 rejections before selling.

fihr
08-22-2011, 01:16 PM
This is a fantastic idea. I'm not sure I've yet got the courage to try it, but its tempting. Great way of forming a writing habit.

mfowler76
08-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Definitely. Stop by Write1Sub1 (http://write1sub1.blogspot.com/) to learn more.

readlorey
09-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I like the idea....I need to submit more though I have just recently submitted a short and it's going to be published soon. But I'm not sure if I can do one a month. I do know I can't do one a week. My pain in the arse day job takes up a lot of my writing time.

But I'm game, in between two websites, one blog, Facebook, Twitter, paranormal magazine, speeches, and other odds and ends.

I even have the beginning for a new short as soon as I get the chance to write it.

So my answer is 'maybe' :)

jazzman99
09-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Hoy cow--I thought I was being ambitious to aim for a story a month, and then I met you folks. I've already learned this year that what you guys are saying is true, though--setting ambitious goals and sticking to them is the way to really getting your writing moving.

So count me in! A story a week to the end of the year--I just may be able to do that. It helps that I just sent one out last night, so I've already got this week covered!

mfowler76
09-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Welcome! Write1Sub1 (http://www.write1sub1.blogspot.com/) is all about stretching ourselves as writers and encouraging each other along the way. Great to have you on board.

Ovid9
10-22-2011, 09:05 AM
This concept terrifies and fascinates me.

I mean, I'm a Professional Procrastinator and all. But, seeing as how I finished a short story this week, I'm all puffed up and full of myself, so, why not right?

Here goes nothing!

Izz
10-22-2011, 12:29 PM
:hooray:

Libbie
10-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Since I ended up parting ways with my second agent earlier this year, I also found myself parting ways with that particular agency contract, which didn't allow me to sell my own short fiction (silly, IMO, because short fiction usually doesn't pay beans, so why would an agent care?) While I was with that agency I neglected my short fiction most horribly, as I didn't see it as being worth my time. (Sad.)

But now that I'm on my own again (for now, at any rate), I am getting interested in my short work again, and in writing more. So with that in mind, I am joining up W1/S1 and will be setting aside some time every week to write some new short fiction and get it on submission. I love Ray Bradbury, so why not emulate his methods? Short fiction still doesn't pay beans (usually), but it's fun and I like being able to say that I've just sold another story. ;) It makes me sound a lot more impressive than I actually am.

I sent off a submission to Clarkesworld tonight. It's an older piece, sort of a Steampunk/sci-fi/alternate history thing. I'll start hammering away at something new tomorrow so I can sub it next week.

yay!

alexshvartsman
10-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Welcome, Libbie!

Izz
10-23-2011, 09:09 AM
:hooray: Welcome along, Libbie!

mfowler76
10-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Welcome aboard, Libbie! Stop by Write1Sub1 (http://write1sub1.blogspot.com/) anytime, and let us know how the hammering is going.

GCU_Dramatic Exit
10-24-2011, 03:42 AM
I'm feeling like I need a kick up the ol' backside so I'm goin' to join up for the monthly W1S1.

Izz
10-24-2011, 03:44 AM
Woohoo, GCU! :partyguy:

mfowler76
10-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Welcome, GCU! Stop by Write1Sub1 (http://write1sub1.blogspot.com/) for your official badge.

Pemako
11-16-2011, 09:07 PM
I hope it's not too late to join! I really need some motivation. I was hoping that Nanowrimo would get me working, but I'm only at 12,532 words - sigh - and losing speed. Thanks.

alexshvartsman
11-16-2011, 09:18 PM
It's never too late. Welcome aboard!

Pemako
11-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Alex! Yep, I really need some kind of community. I just realized - duh - thanks to AW - that Weird Tales was not just on vacation, and that I was never ever going to hear anything back on my story that had been there for 96 days. Grrr. And also just realized, thanks to the Rejectomancy thread, that it was an even worse idea than I thought, subbing something to Analog (they don't want 'downbeat endings'. Boy, did I ever choose the wrong story to send to them!). So I will be very very grateful to get the benefit of everybody else's experience.

Izz
11-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Welcome aboard, Pemako! Feel free to jump into any of the threads here in the forum. We've also got a novel challenge going too, which might help with your novel motivation.

:hooray:

mfowler76
11-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Great to have you join the throng, Pemako -- stop by Write1Sub1 (http://write1sub1.blogspot.com/) for your official badge. =]

mfowler76
11-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Countdown initiated . . . Write1Sub1 (http://write1sub1.blogspot.com/)!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LTQoGhrZ_rA/TtHCp_lkf_I/AAAAAAAAA2Y/m4EBtSH-lZ0/s1600/Write1Sub1Reloaded.jpg

Opinionated Ant
11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
The G+ page looks really good!

mfowler76
12-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks to Stephanie -- she's our resident G+ guru. =]

We're going full-steam ahead into 2012: Write1Sub1 RELOADED (http://write1sub1.com)!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vxZnlv9CjfQ/TtezMTseZhI/AAAAAAAAA5o/ZZtf3XDAK3c/s310/Write1Sub1Reloaded.BLUE.small.jpg

Siren of Triton
06-02-2012, 03:42 AM
Is there any word minimum?
I'm trying to learn how to write for younger audiences, and therefore trying to see what I can do with only a few hundred or a thousand words.

sammyjwebb
06-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Welcome Siren!

No word count limits or goals. It's all about writing, polishing, and submitting. We've got short stories and noveling going on around these parts.

Eliza C
06-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Kudos to all who try this!
I write novels as well as short stories so would have a hard time goal-setting for this, but I'm a big believer in writers subbing what they write. My short stories stay in pretty constant circulation - if I get rejected, I re-read the story (helps to see it fresh if it's been gone for awhile), revise if I think it needs work, and send it right back out again. I currently have 6 different stories out at 8 markets. It's a win-win - some of my stories have found homes and I definitely find that the more I write, the more ideas I get for new stories.

Meme chose
06-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi: I like this idea of Write 1 Sub 1, but do writers submit their work here, in this forum as well? For feedback?

I'm new here, so if the answer to this is posted elsewhere in AW, my apologies.

MC

zanzjan
06-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Welcome to AW and W1/S1, MC and ElizaC!

Hi: I like this idea of Write 1 Sub 1, but do writers submit their work here, in this forum as well? For feedback?

I'm new here, so if the answer to this is posted elsewhere in AW, my apologies.

No worries :)

W1/S1 is for people who want to set themselves a goal of writing and subbing stories on some regular basis, and find it easier to meet goals when other folks are doing it too. Some folks try to write/sub one story a week, or one a month, and some of us are (theoretically, anyhow) working on novels which'd really be one/year. But as with so much in writing, it helps not to be alone, and this is a great group of people w/ a heck of a lot of talent and drive.

People don't sub stuff here, although I think some of the established members who've gotten to know each other pretty well beta stuff back and forth. If you want feedback on work, there's the SYW forum, but you'll have to reach 50 posts before you can post your own work there. In the meantime, it's a good idea to go there and do some critiquing for what's already posted, make yourself part of the community. No reason you can't hang out both here and there.

So what sorts of things are you writing? Do you have goals already set for yourself? Pull up a virtual chair and make yourself at home. :)

Eliza C
06-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks. I can't believe I've been a member of AW for so long (nearly 2 years) and have used this site so little. Still definitely a newbie. Now that I'm really exploring around here, I wish I'd been more active long ago.

joetab24
07-16-2012, 04:11 AM
Is there a non fiction write 1 submit 1? Or, if not, is there anyone willing to participate in one?

Izz
07-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Is there a non fiction write 1 submit 1? Or, if not, is there anyone willing to participate in one?Hi joetab24 :hi: There isn't specifically a non-fiction write 1 sub 1, but if you want to adapt the challenge to fit how you write, then go for it! :)

zanzjan
07-24-2012, 08:10 AM
There isn't specifically a non-fiction write 1 sub 1, but if you want to adapt the challenge to fit how you write, then go for it! :)

This. There is one as soon as you decide to do it. :)

CaPooF
08-18-2012, 05:09 AM
I'm currently working on a novel, but I think I'll try to do one short a month as well. Not sure if it'll work, but I like the idea of getting stories out there regularly, and it will look good if I have some more published stories when I send the novel out. Thanks for the kick in the pants!

Izz
08-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Awesome stuff, C.P. Welcome to W1S1 :welcome:

CaPooF
08-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks, Izz!

Receding Waters
08-20-2012, 05:40 AM
I just checked out W1S1 this morning. This sounds great (like all of you already know!). It's harder for me to write smaller pieces, but I'm working on the edits to a fourth MS. I'd like to submit it to a reputable E-publisher within the next, oh, two months. Maybe I can tailor my own W1S1 to mean "Submit something every three months." I have material I can do that with, at least for the foreseeable future...Maybe that's what'll do. I always need the motivation, anyway.

Izz
08-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Sounds like a plan, Receding Waters! Welcome to W1S1 :hooray:

You might've already seen it, but we also have a Novel Challenge going (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228728), which works on a similar premise to the short fiction challenge. Aim to write, polish, submit within a certain amount of time.

Receding Waters
08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks, Izz. I'll check it out. Might be more my pace.

michael_b
10-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Okay, I should have posted this stuff before now, but here's what's going on for me right now.

I sent 3 stories out between 10/8 and 10/21.

Received a revise and resubmit on the 10/8 submission on 10/25. Did the revision 10/26. Received an offer 10/27.

Still waiting to hear on the other two submissions.

eyeblink
02-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in this forum before, but I did set myself as a New Year resolution the task of completing six new pieces of short fiction in 2013. At the moment I have one finished in draft as of two days ago, two unfinished (one a solo story begun before this year, one a collaboration) and one planned in my head, with maybe another one planned after that.

I'm also working on novels, which along with rather too many reviews has taken up much of my writing time over the past few years. To put that goal of six in perspective, my count of completed shorts from 2009 to 2012 was 1,0,0,2. Two of those three haven't sold, though one of them hasn't been submitted yet as it needs one more polishing pass before it's ready. And I have other unsold stories that I do intend to get out there again, so I do intend to fulfil the S part of this forum's name!

alexshvartsman
02-12-2013, 04:01 AM
Welcome to the party, eyeblink!

zanzjan
02-12-2013, 04:07 AM
Welcome to W1S1, eyeblink! :)

AbsoluteKoala
02-13-2013, 12:36 AM
I'd like to join! I'm licking my wounds after 'losing' my second agent and am not in the mood for novels right now. For now, I'd like to stay with short fiction - the only stuff I've ever managed to get published!

I have six stories circulating out there at the moment, so I think I've made a solid enough start to the year to stick my head above the parapet and be counted.

Edited to add: I've just 'followed' the Write 1 Sub 1 site, but under my real name.

HumSci
02-23-2013, 01:02 AM
I'm in. Sure, it's a bit late for a New Year's resolution, but despite writing plenty this year my laptop's still a graveyard for story fragments. Getting distracted by new ideas is my biggest problem. I've sold a few stories, but generally they've taken me way longer to write than I'd have liked. I'm hoping Write 1/Sub 1 will whip me into shape re. (a) finishing the damn things, and (b) getting a really good first draft so that the necessary rewriting is minimal.

bpreslar
03-28-2013, 05:45 AM
And here I am finding new to me 3 year old thread. I must note that Ray Bradbury had excellent taste in beer. Coors banquet is solid stuff.

Is this still going in 2013?

zanzjan
03-28-2013, 06:33 AM
Absolutely, bpreslar. Just decide your goal and join in any time.

Welcome to W1S1, bpreslar, humsci and absolutekoala. Good people here, always glad for more. :)

you-think-too-much
03-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Woo-hoo! I just submitted my first short story in probably 10 years. Now working on the next one to submit. What a great idea for keeping some forward momentum going.

zanzjan
03-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Welcome, you-think-too-much, and good luck with the story sub! :)

you-think-too-much
04-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks!

Welcome, you-think-too-much, and good luck with the story sub! :)

wonderactivist
04-15-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm writing/submitting shorts between books and wanted to sort of tag along for a while. What a great group! I have three stories submitted, each to one place, and a fourth on the works. One question about Submittable: if I submit a story to magazine A through Submittable (I don't hear back in a few weeks and they didn't ask for an exclusive), then I submit it to magazine B through Submittable; can they see each other's submits or can only I see both?

alexshvartsman
04-16-2013, 02:50 AM
I'm writing/submitting shorts between books and wanted to sort of tag along for a while. What a great group! I have three stories submitted, each to one place, and a fourth on the works. One question about Submittable: if I submit a story to magazine A through Submittable (I don't hear back in a few weeks and they didn't ask for an exclusive), then I submit it to magazine B through Submittable; can they see each other's submits or can only I see both?

Welcome aboard!

The editors be able to see your submission to anyone other than them. However, many magazines do not allow simultaneous submissions. Read the guidelines carefully to see if it's OK to simul-sub.

wonderactivist
04-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks, Alex. They don't say no simultaneous subs, but I just think it would be tacky to do two on that program if they can see each other. Thanks for the info. I hope, hope to get somewhere with freelancing over the next year, though I know it may take awhile to get something pubbed in a magazine,

MichaelMc
04-19-2013, 01:02 AM
Hey all, I'm new to the website and writing fiction as well actually. This looks like a great way to get started but I have a few noobie questions...Is there a place to sign-up on the website or more of an honor system? Also, I have never submitted anything and have seen a lot of talk about it from browsing around the forums. Are their specific magazines I should submit to during this challenge?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tracycgold
05-14-2013, 08:27 PM
This is amazing. I was planning on taking a break from novel writing to do short stories this summer and try to build some publication credits. Onwards with W1S1 I will march!

WriterTrek
05-14-2013, 08:59 PM
W00t tracycgold! Go for it!

I should tell one of my friends to come check this out... he didn't do the submitting part, but he wrote one story (from 900-1100 words) a DAY for an entire year.

Had something like 366,500 words at the end of it. A few of the stories were in parts (part I, II, etc.) but the vast majority were standalones.

I'd be happy to manage one a month, myself. Perhaps I'll start once the summer is over, mwahah.

zanzjan
05-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Hey MichaelMc and tracygold, sorry I missed you earlier, and welcome to AW and W1S1! :)

Michael, it's pretty much honor-system. What markets you might want to sub to depend very much on what genre and length you write, but certainly we can point you in the general direction.

DragonLady
05-21-2013, 05:42 AM
I love the concept! Will have to consider taking part in it.

Diem_Allen
06-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Okay, I am in the beginning stages of a new WIP novel but taking breaks to do shorts and get my name out there more is a good idea. Count me in for at least one a month.

Batspan
06-07-2013, 11:04 AM
I'd like to participate, although what I'm doing now is 'rewrite one, submit one.'

I'm pulling out my favorite stories -- most of them never submitted, others subbed only once or twice. I have four in circulation, the fifth in progress, and three more picked out.

Discovered Sonar, freeware submission-tracking software. Also started using Scrivener. Dictating the ones I can't find on disk into Dragon.

Made a pro horror sale and semi-pro SF novella sale in grad school, years ago.

LindaE
06-08-2013, 12:53 AM
What a great idea. I'm heading over there to sign up now.

I've actually got a bit of a jump start on this. This week I wrote a story based on an idea I had decades ago, polished and submitted two other short stories. So it was W1S2, but I'll stick to W1S1 and not get ahead of myself. I do tend to do that - bite off way more than I can chew.

Woohoo...here I go

arihad
10-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Awesome idea! For me, I'd tweak it just a little about make sure that each story is a different style - genre, voice, whatever. I tend to write variations on one thing. I'm definitely a beginner, but I think I'm getting better.

zanzjan
11-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Welcome, arihad! And yeah, totally change it up all you want, make it work for you. Good luck. :)

Ty Schalter
06-09-2014, 09:59 PM
After my first-ever submission at the end of last month, I banged out a super-short story this week and am preparing to submit it, too. I was just thinking to myself, "I bet I could do one a week for the rest of the offseason..."

Count me in for W1S1!

Peace
Ty

alexshvartsman
06-10-2014, 01:47 AM
After my first-ever submission at the end of last month, I banged out a super-short story this week and am preparing to submit it, too. I was just thinking to myself, "I bet I could do one a week for the rest of the offseason..."

Count me in for W1S1!

Peace
Ty

Welcome aboard!

Cybernaught
07-05-2014, 08:32 PM
I just started writing again recently, and made two sales already. I think I've the confidence enough now to try this challenge. Sign me up!

zanzjan
07-06-2014, 04:44 AM
w00t, congrats Cybernaught, and welcome! :)