9.0 Earthquake and Tsunami Hit Japan

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Oh, geez. An 8.8 earthquake hits Japan, approximately 250 miles from Tokyo. Right now, I'm watching live feeds from Japan--houses and boats tumbling in the water, smoke rising from high rises, people crowded in the streets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598
Japan issued its most serious tsunami warning, saying a wave as high as 6m (20ft) could strike the coast near Miyagi prefecture.

US officials said the 8.8-magnitude quake struck about 250 miles (400km) from Tokyo at a depth of 20 miles.

TV pictures showed a wave crashing into the Pacific coast.

The surge of water carried cars and ships as it surged through a coastal town.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...its-Japan-after-8.8-magnitude-earthquake.html

US officials said the 8.8-magnitude quake struck about 250 miles (400km) from Tokyo at a depth of 20 miles. The stock market extended its losses after the quake was announced.

Japan's northeast Pacific coast, called Sanriku, has suffered from quakes and tsunamis in the past and a 7.2 quake struck on Wednesday. In 1933, a magnitude 8.1 quake in the area killed more than 3,000 people. Last year fishing facilities were damaged after by a tsunami caused by a strong tremor in Chile.

Earthquakes are common in Japan, one of the world's most seismically active areas. The country accounts for about 20 percent of the world's earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater.

A tsunami warning was in effect for Japan, Russia, Marcus Island and the Northern Marianas. A tsunami watch has been issued for Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia and US state of Hawaii.

ETA: CNN just announced the earthquake was upgraded to an 8.9, with at least one aftershock of 6.4.

Cripes!

Last edited:

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Watching this tsunami destroying everything in sight live on CNN right now. This is the most horrific, terrible thing I've ever seen in my life. A swell of brown-black water eating everything in its path. Just terrible.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching this now

Horrific

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
It's incredibly gripping despite the horror. Watching these buildings tremble and collapse, and the water is on fire. Never saw--or imagined--anything like this.

Oh my God! Look at all those cars on the hghway and the water chasing them! This is terrible.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
There's also a tsunami video at this link: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video-Japan-Earthquake-Tokyo-Tsunami-Fears-After-89-Magnitude-Quake-Rocks-Buildings-In-Capital/Article/201103215950160?lpos=World_News_Top_Stories_Header_0&lid=ARTICLE_15950160_Video%3A_Japan_Earthquake%3A_Tokyo_Tsunami_Fears_After_8.9_Magnitude_Quake_Rocks_Buildings_In_Capital

From the article:
Cars, trucks, houses and buildings have been swept away by a 13ft wave in Onahama city, in Fukushima prefecture, while Tokyo's Disneyland car park has been swamped.
And it is feared a tsunami of up to 32ft could strike the country's north eastern coast near Miyagi prefecture, closest to the epicentre of the 8.9 magnitude quake.

The NOAA buoy station data showing the water heights:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=21418

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.economist.com/blogs/asiaview/2011/03/earthquake_japan

Our correspondent in Tokyo reports via e-mail that phone lines are down in the capital, and people pouring out into the streets. At early stages there is no sign of falling buildings, but a very strong aftershock has just been felt. Crowds roared with fright along the busy shopping street of Omotesando when the second shake struck, though no visible damage was done there.
America’s geological survey estimates that the quake reached 8.8 on the Richter scale, with its epicentre 382km north-east of Tokyo, at a depth of 32 miles.
http://

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just can't believe what I'm seeing.

CNN are talking to an American who lives in Japan. He said the quake went on for 4 or 5 minutes. :Wha:

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It's like watching 9-11 again.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it will be catastrophic. If anyone hears from anyone there, could they please post news in the Disaster in my Geographical Region thread?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The footage is truly chilling. I hope Japan has good tsunami warning systems. No-one left in those coastal towns had any chance.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my God, the footage that's coming through now... This is awful.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The footage is truly chilling. I hope Japan has good tsunami warning systems. No-one left in those coastal towns had any chance.

As far as I know, they do. Okinawa (where I am now) has loudspeakers blaring warnings every few minutes, and the police drive around the low-lying areas to make sure no one's near the shore. They block off roads, evacuate the coast, etc. To my knowledge, the mainland is similarly prepared, if not more so.

LIVIN

Registered
Reaction score
I learned about this a little bit ago via Twitter... crazy footage on all the news networks

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
We have electricity but no gas, and phones are not working, as in we can send messages but not call. Actually we had 2 earthquakes and there are still aftershocks. I haven't heard from 2 of my friends and one of them is in Yokohama near the sea. I was going to meet her tomorrow.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
We have electricity but no gas, and phones are not working, as in we can send messages but not call. Actually we had 2 earthquakes and there are still aftershocks. I haven't heard from 2 of my friends and one of them is in Yokohama near the sea. I was going to meet her tomorrow.

Hope your friends are all right!

Tsunami warning sirens now sounding in Honolulu. Est time of arrival of wave is 3 am local time--according to CNN, looking for link.

ETA--link: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...Rm4w4Q?docId=2feb64f57f1e48cea2b5a2d7a541de67

They're going off here too. Estimated landfall is in about 30 minutes, wave height 2 meters, from what they're saying on the loudspeaker. (My base is high enough above sea level they're not evacuating us. We'll be fine. Though I *would* like to hear from my husband, since he's on a base at sea level on the coast.)

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
This is awful. Not much that can be said really.:(

Japan sits on an intersection between three plates (Eurasian, Pacific, Philippine Sea plates), so this was always on the cards unfortunately.

The Japanese have had some huge quakes before though, and their emergency planning is as good as it gets when it comes to earthquakes. This is an awful event, but they have the right stuff in place to do as much as they can to lessen the disaster.

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
This is horrible to see. I was offline, working on something, and my brother came downstairs and told me.

The footage is terrifying. They are talking right now about evacuating islands in the Pacific Rim -- this is going to be very difficult.

The burning refinery and the boats smashed into breakwaters...chilling.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope your friends are all right!

They're going off here too. Estimated landfall is in about 30 minutes, wave height 2 meters, from what they're saying on the loudspeaker. (My base is high enough above sea level they're not evacuating us. We'll be fine. Though I *would* like to hear from my husband, since he's on a base at sea level on the coast.)

Thinking of you all - stay safe.