live long and phosphor

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Hi to everyone on this site.

I've tapped into its wealth from many angles: reading which publishers have been known to screw people over; the things to look out for on a publisher's site that give away low professionalism or scams; uncle Jim's advice; the general feedback people give to each other's queries.

Not being content with that, I now become a member. I plan to attempt to find beta readers and, of course, to give something back in the form of info concerning publishers with whom business has been done (something which will hopefully happen soon, or I'll gnaw my writing desk again), and give feedback to other fidgeting wretches, who, like me, are pining for validation and coherent advice.

Most importantly perhaps, I come in peace :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

Val367

Registered
Reaction score
We come in peace .. shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill. I can't help but get that line from Star Trekkin running around my head when I read 'we come in peace' ... hopefully some of our older community will back me up with this one from the 80's :)

Hi there Don

cheers
Val

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
:) There was also an early 90's B film about an alien killer who bled white goo when wounded and used flying CD's to slice up people. His only line was 'I come in peace'.

But not me, no, I don't bleed white goo and I'd never slice up people with CD's. Fling tapes at them at the most.

Thank's for the newbie guide, reddog

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

Aylaa

Uncharacteristic is my character
Registered
Reaction score
The best media is the type that doesn't take itself seriously.

welcome.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
In the midst of drafting an outline, I'm forced to change my drugs: from coffee to black tea.

Thank you, nightly palipitations:) It'll be curious how this will affect my style. Will it become more English? haha

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
And where, if anywhere, should this go? Who knows...

Possibly a thousand people have already done this. Nevertheless, here’s the dim suspicion about some facts behind flashy sentences I’m coming across when researching authors. In some cases, that is.

If this is not a repeat – then by all means, please add more!

Author John Smith is:

1. “Acclaimed author” (1) –another author of same house has called him the next Tolkien, the next Stephen King, the next Rawling, the next Stephanie Mayer or the next Dan Brown.

2. “Acclaimed author” (2) – has only five reviews on Amazon, all praising him to high heavens, all in suspiciously similar sentences.

3. “Highly acclaimed author” – more than one review in websites not ran by publisher or friends/relatives of publisher have said his books do not suck completely.

4. “Award winning author” (1) – has been given award by legit enthusiasts about whom eleven people in the world have heard.

5. “Award winning author” (2) – has been given an award for attending some event organized by publishing house or friends/relatives of publishing house.

6. “Award winning author” (3) – has been given a scrupulously phrased prize aimed at him alone: the “best first novel by author no taller than 5.2. feet and with birthmark on left nostril working in the gay time traveling cowboy horror romance with Lenin presented as one-legged evil cyborg from Jupiter sub-genre.”

7. “Wildly successful author” (1) – manages to pay part of utility bills by writing an interplanetary vampire e-romance every two weeks.

8. “Wildly successful author” (2) – Rights have been bought by small TV network/shoestring film factory - series folded after three episodes or laughable direct for DVD film made or rights reverted unrealized. From now on the author frequently mentions “his experience with Hollywood.”

9. “Bestselling author” (1) – has sold 87 copies and thus is among the top betselling authors on his mini-publisher’s website

10. “Bestselling author” (2) – due to coordinated buying of twenty books in forty minutes, has reached top 100 for two hours on specific sub-category book-selling website. Since then will be forever known as “outselling Asimov”.

11. “Bestselling author” (3) – has brushed specialized genre bestseller list for a after viral marketing upon reliece. Thus generating 90% of sales in first week and a book a month forevermore.

12. “Bestselling author with works translated into many languages including French, Slovakian and Samoan” – the other “many languages” are either “one” or are “pending”. Or “British”.

13. “Internationally Bestselling author” – due to giving online interview for genre-related online Bratsk magazine has sold 420 copies in Slovakia, thus reaching the position of ninth bestselling book of this genre in Bratislawa between March 14th and March 21st.

14. “New York Times bestselling author” – has once brushed the list for a week because publisher has organized the buying of 3000 copies in high profile bookstores.

15. “Legendary bestselling author” - has once brushed the NYTimes list for a week in 1985.

16. “Bestselling author with millions of books sold” – after twenty years and thirty seven books, has sold 1 000 012 books. Copies currently in print – 1 480.

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, dondomat!