William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
David S. Broder, 81, a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for The Washington Post and one of the most respected writers on national politics for four decades, died Wednesday at Capital Hospice in Arlington of complications from diabetes.

Mr. Broder was often called the dean of the Washington press corps - a nickname he earned in his late 30s in part for the clarity of his political analysis and the influence he wielded as a perceptive thinker on political trends in his books, articles and television appearances.

In 1973, Mr. Broder and The Post each won Pulitzers for coverage of the Watergate scandal that led to President Richard M. Nixon's resignation. Mr. Broder's citation was for explaining the importance of the Watergate fallout in a clear, compelling way.

As passionate about baseball as he was about politics, he likened Nixon's political career to an often-traded pitcher who had "bounced around his league."

He covered every presidential convention since 1956 and was widely regarded as the political journalist with the best-informed contacts, from the lowliest precinct to the highest rungs of government.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/09/AR2011030902821.html?hpid=topnews

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
David Broder was the dean of Washington reporters and one of the giants of journalism. I met him once at a conference and I recall him holding court with a group of young journalists. I asked him about his friendship with the notorious Hunter S. Thompson and how Thompson said in one of his books how Broder had welshed on a bet and he was going to hunt Broder down until he paid up. Broder just laughed and shook his head, "That's Hunter."

Broder was always a voice of moderation though in his sunset years he seemed increasingly more conservative in his columns. There never was a question though of how influential of a journalist he was.

R.I.P. Mr. Broder.

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
He was one of the best op-ed columnists we had. I'll miss him.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to believe he was 81. Tempus fugits, I guess.

RIP.

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Always a voice of sanity. We could sure use more of that from op-ed commentators these days.

There's always Krauthammer *chuckles*

Definitely one of the last of the "thinkers" in a deepening sea of talking heads... RIP David Broder.