Newt: "I Cheated For My Country!"

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no fan of Newt, but I'd love to live in a country where the sex lives/marital affairs/ankle thickness/wardrobes of various political candidates was of no importance.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I'm no fan of Newt, but I'd love to live in a country where the sex lives/marital affairs/ankle thickness/wardrobes of various political candidates was of no importance.
It becomes of importance when the politician involved runs for office emphasizing the importance of morality, the sacred tradition of marriage under attack from homosexual activists, and denigrates others for "immorality."

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure 'I did it for my country' is right behind 'I was just following orders' in the 'not a good excuse' department.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will never understand why "traditional" marriage is threatened by gay marriage and not heterosexual infidelity.

The US is a Judeo-Christian civilization? Funny I thought our society was based on a separation of church and state and religious freedom.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The US is a Judeo-Christian civilization? Funny I thought our society was based on a separation of church and state and religious freedom.

Kinda.

You see, the USA has 'two' foundings.

Well, four. Kinda.

The first was when a load of tight laced, sexually repressed, providencial Puritans landed here.

The second was our load of Founding Fathers, who were mostly zany, freedom loving deists...well, except for the Federalists. (That is a biased statement.)

(The third and fourth could be considered the Civil War, which changed our national character a whole hell of a lot, and the Great Depression and what happened after that, which created a lot of power structures that we now take for granted).

We've never quite shaken off the Puritans choke hold on our popular culture. Whether that is good or bad depends entirely on your own moral compass.

I think it's one of the longstanding ills that this country has yet to shake off, and leads primarily to autocratic patriarchy.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda.

You see, the USA has 'two' foundings.

Well, four. Kinda.

The first was when a load of tight laced, sexually repressed, providencial Puritans landed here.

The second was our load of Founding Fathers, who were mostly zany, freedom loving deists...well, except for the Federalists. (That is a biased statement.)

(The third and fourth could be considered the Civil War, which changed our national character a whole hell of a lot, and the Great Depression and what happened after that, which created a lot of power structures that we now take for granted).

We've never quite shaken off the Puritans choke hold on our popular culture. Whether that is good or bad depends entirely on your own moral compass.

I think it's one of the longstanding ills that this country has yet to shake off, and leads primarily to autocratic patriarchy.

The big irony of the whole Puritanical ideology is my home Massachusetts. We
started off as the home of Puritanical Repression and now we are one of the most liberal states in the Union.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
It becomes of importance when the politician involved runs for office emphasizing the importance of morality, the sacred tradition of marriage under attack from homosexual activists, and denigrates others for "immorality."

Agreed. I'd be fine with just leaving out all that personal stuff, but if a candidate is going to be the one bringing it up, it's fair to train the same critical lens on that candidate as he's training on others.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. I'd be fine with just leaving out all that personal stuff, but if a candidate is going to be the one bringing it up, it's fair to train the same critical lens on that candidate as he's training on others.
Sure, if they bring it up it should be fair game on grounds of hypocrisy.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
You know, I don't get this. I'd have a lot more respect for someone if they simply said that they have done things that they weren;t proud of in their lives. Who hasn't? This is just silly.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
But it's just so much easier to find a scapegoat, such as Mr. Santorum has done. Now if only Gingrich had been mentioned in a Savage Love column, he'd have a ready-made scapegoat.

Crafty

And then there was one
Registered
Reaction score
The bigger issue here is that Newt was able to find someone to have an affair with. I mean, good god women, WTF!?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I don't get this. I'd have a lot more respect for someone if they simply said that they have done things that they weren;t proud of in their lives. Who hasn't? This is just silly.

The problem or hypocrisy is, Republicans tout their platform as defending morality and being the moral rudder for the nation. They say their platform includes defending the sanctity of marriage. Which brings up the question of how can they claim to defend the sanctity of marriage when they are unfaithful in their own marriages?

Crafty

And then there was one
Registered
Reaction score
The problem or hypocrisy is, Republicans tout their platform as defending morality and being the moral rudder for the nation. They say their platform includes defending the sanctity of marriage. Which brings up the question of how can they claim to defend the sanctity of marriage when they are unfaithful in their own marriages?

Defending something, and believing something is good, doesn't mean that person can't have addictions or issues with it.

A doctor can say, "Smoking is a bad and disgusting habit," and then go and smoke a pack a day.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused by what they mean when they say sanctity of marriage in the first place. And protect it from what, exactly, besides those of us homos? Is divorce or unfaithfulness on the rise, for example?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand they are protecting it from gays. For some unfathomable reason a number of Republicans think if gays marry, marriage as a whole is doomed.

Why they don't include their own infidelity as something that dooms marriage hasn't been addressed yet.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Another question is: Why should we sanctify a ritual banked around women being untouched property?

I think we should sanctify love, mutual respect, and trust...even if people express that by picking up people at bars and fucking them in a wild, drug filled threesome. How is that LESS loving, LESS respectful, and LESS trusting than a lying twit screwing around while loudly shouting that they love their wife and will never ever cheat on them.

The lying twit is not only turning his marriage into a political object, showing an immense lack of respect for his partner...but he's also being a lying, hypocritical twit.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
According to dictionary.com

sanc·ti·ty   
[sangk-ti-tee] Show IPA
–noun, plural -ties.
holiness, saintliness, or godliness.
sacred or hallowed character: the inviolable sanctity of the temple.
a sacred thing.

Funny but it says nothing about how it relates to one's sexual orientation and marriage

Crafty

And then there was one
Registered
Reaction score
According to dictionary.com

Funny but it says nothing about how it relates to one's sexual orientation and marriage

You know it's based on the idea that homosexuality is a sin and that opponents view marriage as a religious rite, rather than a civil right, right? I'm not saying they're "right" but there's little misunderstand for where they're coming from.