Presunto Culpable is "presumed guilty" by MX gov't

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
One would hope that the Mexican government would be more worried about trying to fix their economy and dealing with the drug gangs to go out of their way to ban a documentary.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
The general feeling from my friends across the border is that the line between the government and the cartel aren't at all clear. I hear stories about political candidates "disappearing" for heading policy that would make things more difficult for the cartel. Part of the point of the film is to initiate change in the justice system. Well, guess who wouldn't like that.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
The film's received pretty low critics here. Everyone's tired sick about the few movies who are made in the country becoming a stream of pretentious holier-than-thou documentaries about our horrendous socioeconomipolitical reality. As if we don't experience it everyday.

The whole point of the scandal, "Our justice system is bad!" (Newsflash, film makers: WE KNOW) is such a beaten dead cow that it won't help the film, not even as viral marketing.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
The whole point of the scandal, "Our justice system is bad!" (Newsflash, film makers: WE KNOW) is such a beaten dead cow that it won't help the film, not even as viral marketing.

That was kind of my reaction when I saw the trailer.

But any kind of attention drawn to a corrupt system has the potential to cause change, right? I've also seen rave reviews praising this thing and have heard similar things from the nationals that I personally know. So maybe this one's different. Have you seen it yet?

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
That was kind of my reaction when I saw the trailer.

But any kind of attention drawn to a corrupt system has the potential to cause change, right? I've also seen rave reviews praising this thing and have heard similar things from the nationals that I personally know. So maybe this one's different. Have you seen it yet?

I have nothing against this movie in particular, since I haven't seen it (and no plans: my friends who've seen it say it's a yawnfest).

My beef is with the film makers who can't seem to think about any other subject but government corruption. There's no need to waste precious budget and screentime in filming what we see everyday. There's the saying "If you saw El Infierno, you've seen 'em all". :3

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
But any kind of attention drawn to a corrupt system has the potential to cause change, right?

Good one! In my understanding of Latin American culture, the government will say it's a lie, the people will say "meh" and everything will continue to be the same.

At least that's the case here in Venezuela.