What's wrong with Gay Politicians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8556852.stm

The new rule has to be: If you hate Gays, deride homosexuality as an abomination, are scared some gay people are going to take over, and move into the house next to yours, you are Gay, and need to get over it....

Roy Ashbury, the latest in the long line of Gay bashers and lawmakers comes out of whatever closet still exists.

My question, seriously, since I play tennis with a group of Gay folks from Chicago, hang out at Billy Jean Kings favorite tennis club, is what WTF is wrong with Gay politicians. Don't go into politics if it's against your own values, cause it makes you look stupid, and IMO casts another bullshit label on anyone who is Gay... sorry for the rant,,,, EGADS....

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
To clarify the Label point. Idiots who still think being gay is a sickness, point to guys like this as an example of a person who has a disease and is fighting the battle to cure it, you dig.

...and that's the piss off, it's not a disease, and by getting in office and railing against people and their biological make-up while being part of the same group is such a fucking lie, that it really pisses me off.... I know I'm still ranting.....

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is the height of hypocrisy. Did I spell hypocrisy right?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Being gay is not a sickness. Lust for power, OTOH, is apparently a more powerful addiction than anything Owsley ever cooked up. Some people just can't resist it, even though they know that if their lying and stealing and prostituting themselves to obtain another fix gets found out, it may completely destroy their lives.

Give me a heroin addict over a politician any day.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Give me a heroin addict over a politician any day.

Not me. I've been friends with people who became heroin addicts, and I never want to see that happen to anyone again.

As for the OP: Harvey Milk. He went into politics because he wanted to help gay people. The movie had me bawling like a baby.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Roy Ashbury, the latest in the long line of Gay bashers and lawmakers comes out of whatever closet still exists.

I just spent some time with some americans that were visiting. Wonderful folks, compassionate, dedicated, professional. One was from the midwest and the other was from Atlanta. They were in Sweden to possibly be recruited by a games company in town, and were staying at a friend of mine who works there.

Of course we talked politics. The situation in the middle east came up. And these people kept talking about how terrible the old regimes were and that the people of the middle east deserved democracy and freedom and tolerance, because what they had now "was so gay."

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
because what they had now "was so gay."

That is common American slang and doesn't necessarily equate into anything to do with homosexuality, either negatively or positively. Insensitive, possibly, but calling something "gay" is rarely meant to deride homosexuals. I'm not sure what word the younger generation here uses to express the some idea. Might be the same, but I don't recall hearing any of my kids friends using it.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Right. A gay person sits at a table with other people and hear that "gay" is bad and inferior, and an adequate descriptor for a bad and inferior state. S/he is oversensitive for taking that personally.

I suppose then that I as a middle aged white guy can use the word "niggered" with impunity, or "kiked", because I won't mean anything bad with the word, since I'm not racist or antisemitic.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Right. A gay person sits at a table with other people and hear that "gay" is bad and inferior, and an adequate descriptor for a bad and inferior state. S/he is oversensitive for taking that personally.

I suppose then that I as a middle aged white guy can use the word "niggered" with impunity, or "kiked", because I won't mean anything bad with the word, since I'm not racist or antisemitic.

Never said it was right or wrong, but please, continue to judge. You are quite good at it.

Of course you do realize that the word "fag" is highly insulting in America. Maybe those damn Brits should stop using it so much.

Deleted member 42

Users may not intend or be aware of the freight the word carries, but it does in fact carry that freight.

Obviously, those aren't OK either, but I do want to point out that niggardly is a real word that has no relationship, etymologically or semantically with nigger or negro. It's used not only by Chaucer, but before Chaucer, and is likely derived from Old Norse hnoggr, meaning small, or thin.

Deleted member 42

That is common American slang and doesn't necessarily equate into anything to do with homosexuality, either negatively or positively. Insensitive, possibly, but calling something "gay" is rarely meant to deride homosexuals. I'm not sure what word the younger generation here uses to express the some idea. Might be the same, but I don't recall hearing any of my kids friends using it.

Actually, it does equate with gay = homosexual, and it's easily demonstrable in context.

"That's so gay" is directly derived from the heteronormative association of gay with effeminate behavior and the larger cultural assumptions that being gay is a a negative.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Users may not intend or be aware of the freight the word carries, but it does in fact carry that freight.

Which is all I was trying to convey. It is a common word and few people who use it consider the possible negative aspect of it. In other words, when used, it isn't used to hurt intentionally.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Obviously, those aren't OK either, but I do want to point out that niggardly is a real word that has no relationship, etymologically or semantically with nigger or negro. It's used not only by Chaucer, but before Chaucer, and is likely derived from Old Norse hnoggr, meaning small, or thin.

But of course, using the correct and appropriate english word "Niggardly" can land you into trouble.

http://old.nationalreview.com/derbyshire/derbyshire091702.asp

That link goes to National Review, which lampoons the PC of our modern days, but it does contain some examples of how the word has landed people in some trouble.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Which is all I was trying to convey. It is a common word and few people who use it consider the possible negative aspect of it. In other words, when used, it isn't used to hurt intentionally.

Kind of like using the word nutjob. People use these sorts of words all the time but until they're standing on the other side of the fence sometimes it's hard to see why others get upset. But on that side of the fence it's hard to see how they don't understand why it's a derogatory word. Hard to win.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed. Retard or retarded is another one. There are tons of such words.

However, the fact they are widely used with little thought given to the feelings of others is in no way indicative of larger cultural values. Someone who uses the term nutjob doesn't necessarily go around abusing or looking down on people with mental illness. Someone who uses the word retarded doesn't necessarily go around bullying the handicapped. And, someone who uses the phrase gay isn't necessarily homophobic or anti-gay.

As I said, use of such words might be insensitive or thoughtless, but it is rarely malicious.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Indeed. Retard or retarded is another one. There are tons of such words.

However, the fact they are widely used with little thought given to the feelings of others is in no way indicative of larger cultural values.
Actually, the opposite is true.

The "fact that they are widely used with little thought given to the feelings of others" is precisely and emphatically indicative of larger cultural values, even though such expressions may not indicate the individual's values or beliefs.

That's why they're widely used in the first place -- because culturally some people are measured as inherently less worthwhile/valuable/important than others. That's why something negative is said to be "gay" or "retarded" or someone behaving in a way we judge to be inexplicable, ideologically, is said to be a "nutjob."

Otherwise those expressions would hold no inherent and intelligible meaning. Likewise, expressions like "that's mighty white of you" or "prince among men" suggest cultural value and admiration.

Last edited:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This ties into the OP. Not that this particular politician is a good example, since afaik he's a pernicious blight upon creation as far as equal rights come. If all you ever hear is that you're bad, inferior, and when your surrounding throw around reinforcements of the inferiority - is it any wonder your self worth gets so skewed and twisted that all you can do is to hide that side of your nature? Even to the point of actually working against that nature, because if you work against that nature, then you might overcome it?

It's sad and sick, in a way. Earlier there were the teen suicides that are now swept under the rug because there's more "pressing" matters do discuss, although as we speak lgbt teens are fingering the rope or the gun or the pill bottle because everyone around them is reinforcing that "gay" is bad and inferior and contemptible. And adults that should know better don't take that seriously "because everyone uses those words, and it doesn't mean anything". Let me tell you, it means the fucking world to the boy or the girl that always hears it and relates it to his or her place in the world, and relates it to his or her value as a human being.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
As one of the profoundly lucky people who have a family that loves and supports me even if I turned out to be a bisexual transhuman anarchist libertarian furry (Pretty much the single worst combination of things in the history of ever), I can still say that hearing people call something "totally gay" still makes my teeth gnash and grind.

And I have stability and love. I hate to imagine what people who don't have that support feel.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the opposite is true.

The "fact that they are widely used with little thought given to the feelings of others" is precisely and emphatically indicative of larger cultural values, even though such expressions may not indicate the individual's values or beliefs.

Of course, such words entered the mainstream through cultural acceptance of the words. However, that does not necessarily equate to current cultural values and drawing such comparisons is a risky proposition. We all know that once something enters the mainstream its meaning, context and intent can and does often change. Assuming continued use of a word that has been in the mainstream for sometime indicates some sort of current cultural belief is sketchy at best.

As even you admitted, most people use such words without thought to the negative connotations. I would argue the use of such words is simply because it is what they have heard used in the past and what they have learned to associate with a given action. And, as you said, the use of such words are not indicative of an individuals values or beliefs. If this is true, it must also hold true that a cultures use of such words are not indicative of larger current cultural values.

I can still say that hearing people call something "totally gay" still makes my teeth gnash and grind.

I'm sure it does and it should. I hear words all the time that annoy me. However, I don't make assumptions of a person's beliefs or values based on the use of a common word, especially if it is in a common context. Doing so is a dangerous practice. The simple fact is most people open their mouths and say shit without a thought of the deeper meaning of their words. They call something gay because that's what they've heard their whole lives. They call something retarded because that is what they've heard their whole lives. Not necessarily because they look down on homosexuals or the handicapped.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Of course you do realize that the word "fag" is highly insulting in America. Maybe those damn Brits should stop using it so much.

But in Britain fag has absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality at all. It's slang for cigarette. I'm not sure how me saying I'm dying for a ciggie offends anyone. Except anti-smokers, and then only if I actually light it up where I'm not supposed to.

Or will you stop saying fanny for arse, because it means something quite different over here....

Or do we have to limit our slang because of what it might mean several thousand miles away, when here it means nothing like what it means to you? I wouldn't use it in the US, but why not use it here?

Gay is the same, UK and US, and has the same connotations, and really should not be used in such a way as Max had to hear.

PS I may be British but I'm not damned, thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.