Hello and G'day

Nassik

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from another Australian member, sort of. My name is Shawn and though I live in Australia I'm not an Australian. I'm an American that's moved Down Under.

Though it seems that most of my writing currently seems to consist of various forum posts scattered across the internet, I've enjoyed reading and writing for years and I earned my first bachelor's degree in English. I used to write poetry for fun but I've slowly been pushing myself to write fictional stories since earning that degree long ago.

I've always enjoyed writing, even as a child, and I'm attempting to restore a bit of the writing discipline that I used to have.

I have read many posts on these forums and it is a pleasure to find a community of so many like-minded people. I look forward to exploring this community in greater detail and to learning from you all.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Val367

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya Shawn

That's one of the nice things about Australia. Once you've lived here for a while you are allowed to call yourself an Aussie as long as:

1) You've had vegemite on toast for brekkie at least once.
2) You've eaten at a barbie.
3) Beer.

Plus once you get published and become famous we claim you as our own anyway - see Russell Crowe and Phar Lap to name a couple.

Cheers
Val

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
val, don't forget...

you have to know most of the words to 'living on a prayer' for when you get drunk on aforementioned beer :)

Nassik

Registered
Reaction score
I've already done those things a dozen times over, Val. :) I have Vegemite on toast multiple times per week. Who hasn't enjoyed some lamb at a barbecue? And Toohey's Old is as common as water. :)

Perth is a nice place and reminds me a lot of California.

My wife finds it funny that I can sing "Waltzing Matilda" and that I've got most of "Advance Australia Fair" memorized. After going through a couple of Australia Day celebrations I can pretend to be an Aussie.

Val367

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully by "most of Advance Australia Fair memorised" you are only referring to the 1st verse ... 'cos almost every Aussie I know has no idea about the 2nd one ;)

MissMacchiato - I'll see your 'living on a prayer' and raise you 'Keh Sanh'

Nassik

Registered
Reaction score
Yes Val, just the first verse of "Advance Australia Fair." It's just like the American national anthem... no one seems to know the other three verses of the song.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.