saying "he/she asked" after a question

buckeyegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Okay, I know saying "she asked" after a character asks a question is a bit redundant and frowned upon, but sometimes you have so many characters in a scene its unavoidable. I've edited my MS and only have a few "he/she asked"'s left, but I have a question on how they're formatted because I've seen it done two different ways in books.

For example, would it be: "Where's the store?" she asked.

or

"Where's the store?" She asked. (with "she" capitalized?)

Thank so much for your help :)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
My take is...

"Where's the store?" she asked.

Dialog tags are a part of the sentence containing the dialog. If you were using an action beat, it would start a new sentence.

"Where's the store?" She picked up her car keys.

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Okay, I know saying "she asked" after a character asks a question is a bit redundant and frowned upon

"It is?" he asked.

Seriously, I've never been scolded for using "he asked", or had this faux pas mentioned in a personal rejection letter. I use it all the time. I've even had a few stories published, and I'm certain the asked dialogue tag appears a few times in each of them.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I disagree with PeterL completely. Sorry, dude.

The tag is part of the sentence, not its own sentence. So using your examples, I'd consider it correct as
"That's the store!" she screamed.

In fact, "That's the store!" she screamed. and "That's the store!" She screamed. mean two different things.

But I'm not a fan of the redundant she asked when the words spoken make it obvious that she asked. If you need to tell the reader who spoke, an action line works. "Where's the store?" She peered down the empty highway.

Maryn, who found the store only this morning

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
According to the books (for what tha's worth) the tag should be capitalized, because there is a full stop, aquestion mark, at the end of the dialogue.

Quote:
"Where's the store?" She asked.
The same is true for exclamation points.
Quote:
"That's the store!" She screamed.

That's not what "the books" say at all, Peter. The only true full-stop is the period. In both cases above, the correct punctuation is

and

"That's the store!" she screamed.

buckeyegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! :) You've helped me out so much.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
If you are using the proper punctuation, then using asked or exclaimed is redundant and it sort of stands out for me. I know it is said to be invisible and most agents and editors won't pick you apart for it, but to me...its redundant.

Let the punctuation do the job and if it's clear who is speaking, then there is no reason for the tag... IMHO...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sorry, PeterL.. that's wrong. It's an inverted sentence and the tag is part of it, so there's no capitalization. The actual sentence is:

She asked, "Where is the store?"

by inverting it, we get:

"Where is the store?" she asked.

But....

"Where is the store?" She stared.

In this case, "she" is capitalized because it's an action, not a tag. So there are actually two sentences. If you invert them, they'll read:

She stared. "Where is the store?"

Last edited:

LynnKHollander

This space intentionally left blank
Registered
Reaction score
According to the books (for what tha's worth) the tag should be capitalized, because there is a full stop, aquestion mark, at the end of the dialogue.

The same is true for exclamation points.
What books?
The she asked bit is still part of the whole sentence: "Where's the store?" she asked ~~and it doesn't matter if it's "Where's the store?" she said. You cannot leave 'she said' or 'she asked' dangling alone and unsupported.
You can omit them, and continue with a narrative sentence: "Where is the store?" She put on her coat.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I think you might be misreading, PeterL. The dialogue tag belongs with the dialogue - it does not stand alone - and so it doesn't need to begin with a capital letter, even when a question mark is used instead of a comma before it. Notice that no one is agreeing with you - it's not a matter for debate (sorry).

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PeterL, if you would cite the multiple books which said it is as you have stated, we might have a discussion about it. Perhaps those books are out of date, or were never held in any esteem by academics or writers. Or perhaps those rules applied or apply only in certain parts of the world.

Or would you prefer to get all huffy?

Maryn, who knows which way she'd go

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Peter, if you don't believe the several here who have indicated that you are wrong about this punctuational issue, go ask the question of some editors in the Ask the Editor Forum.

Meantime, here is a standard guide to the issue (one of many many many you can find that all say the same thing):

http://theeditorsblog.net/2010/12/08/punctuation-in-dialogue/

Single line with dialogue (attribution) following

The dialogue is enclosed in quotation marks. A comma follows the dialogue and comes before the closing quotation mark. A period ends the sentence. Punctuation serves to separate the spoken words from other parts of the sentence.
Because the dialogue tag—she said—is part of the same sentence, it is not capped.
“He loved you,” she said.​

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sums your apparent attitude up nicely.

I have looked it up. If you want to do it otherwise, then go ahead; I don't really care.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really care.

Come on, Peter. Yes, you do, or you wouldn't post.

Here's the three words you need to say:

I

was

wrong

Try them. Your mouth will hurt for a moment or two, but afterward some people may begin to believe you again.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
PeterL, you are mistaken. I have been a writer and editor for twenty-five years, have used the main US, Canadian, and UK stylebooks, and have never seen any "book" that suggested that "'Where's the fire?' He asked" is correct.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. You are the person making the extraordinary claim here, and you have nothing to back it up. That is not OK here, where people are coming to get help from others who are better informed than they are.

A handy overview on punctuating dialogue (from East Carolina University professor of English Luke Whisnant) is here.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
PeterL, go to your bookshelf and find one book published by a trade or university publisher that contains the capitalization you claim is correct.

The rest of us can go to our bookshelves and find dozens or hundreds or thousands of books that use the style "'Where am I?' he asked". The reason for this is that that is the correct style in current English usage.

Following the standards and conventions of English usage is not a "religion". It is a gesture of courtesy to readers, and an indication of professionalism to editors and agents and publishers.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
nor do I care whether you disagree. If you believe that you are right, then you may follow your religion. I used to follow that religion until I learned better.

You've been provided with honest, straightforward answers, documented, and have chosen to disagree. And to be nasty about doing so.

Fine. Go back under your bridge and menace passing travelers.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'I was wrong?' he asked.
"I was wrong?" He screamed, because being wrong really upset him, so much so that he could not admit it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I actually don't care how other people handle that. I only posted for informational purposes. There was a time when I also thought that one use a lower case initial letter for the tag after questions and exclamations, but I learned better. If people want to believe that I am mistaken, then let them.

It's not a matter of opinion. Can you cite the "books" you're reading to support your claim? Every grammar book and EVERY novel I have read support our claim. If you must deviate from it and say you're right, please give the examples instead of being pigheaded about it.

It really is okay to say "I am wrong" instead of "I don't care."

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
"I was wrong?" He screamed, because being wrong really upset him, so much so that he could not admit it.

You ... you didn't sign off. :(

Dr.Gonzo, who dislikes when Maryn doesn't sign off

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you opt to ignore my information, thenplease do so; ithat does not make you evil.

True, Peter. While the person may not be inherently evil, his unchecked behavior may do real harm. It's understandable to answer a question carelessly. Most of us have. Fortunately, this forum has more than sufficient knowledge and experience to counter careless advice and does so with relish.

Evil comes about when a mind snaps shut and words are twisted in efforts to save face rather than admit our information may have not been the best. Who can trust such behaviors?

LynnKHollander

This space intentionally left blank
Registered
Reaction score
What Books?

No, I made no "extraordinary claim", nor do I care whether you disagree. If you believe that you are right, then you may follow your religion. I used to follow that religion until I learned better.
How did you learn better? What books, for the second time of asking, did you consult?