Anonymous hacks Alcoholics Anonymous website

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, all this Internet drama can get so confusing. I was reading through the comments in yet another Charlie Sheen news story here:
http://discussions.latimes.com/20/lanews/la-heb-sheen-aa-20110302/10

When I saw this:
Go to aa's website at AA.org and laugh yer butt off... It's just been hacked!
Indeed, the site is yet another result of Anonymous, the group spun off from 4chan to attack Scientology, now attacking other "lesser" evils (BTW I run with noscript which prevents Java from running unless I enable it, which I have NOT for this site - click at your own risk - but don't despair, I've copied the site image below):

http://aa.org

I've saved this screen capture in case it gets fixed by the time you see it:
aa_org_hacked.jpg

This may not be a big enough story for the Mainstream Media (or even for Fox News :D), but I thought other AW'ers might find it amusing.

ETA: and no, I have no idea if Anonymous (originally the anti-Scientology group and lateley the anti-Westboro Baptist Church group) is doing this in relation to anything Charlie Sheen has said about AA and his (now former) CBS bosses being "AA Nazis." But I do wonder if the Anonymous folks have tiger blood.

Last edited:

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
ANON seem to be turning into bullies - unless, like LOG I am missing something.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Let's see...a bunch of hackers running amuck on the internet, shutting down sites with which they have some kind of personal problem, which will lead to greater regulations and more government interference in how the average citizen uses the internet.

Yeah. That's really amusing. That's so funny I might break a rib from laughing so hard.

:Wha:

There is nothing funny or beneficial about Anonymous. Nothing at all.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
This one is a bit underwhelming. Just a bit. A teensy-weensy bit. Eeensy-weensy-meensy-meensy bit.

Invincibility

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
For the record there's no malicious code on the site (as of right now anyway).

I don't feel particularly sad. I've always disliked AA and their obvious disdain for non-Christians.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Why are they citing John 15:13?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+15%3A13&version=NIV

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

They have a military theme to the graphic. Are they mocking the notion of soldiers who lay down their lives for their friends and their countries? What do they hope to accompllsh by hacking a non-profit and by interweaving military threads into the wordcraft of resulting hacker vandalism?

Payback? Who is getting paid back? And for what crime? For the crime of laying down one's life for one's friends?

This is a great big WTF for me.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Add me to the not finding this funny at all group

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
That's the problem with Anonymous - anyone can claim to Anonymous, and none of them are lying.

(and no, it's not funny)

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
That's the problem with Anonymous - anyone can claim to Anonymous, and none of them are lying.

(and no, it's not funny)

Exactly. There's no membership list; a ship flying the Jolly Roger doesn't pay dues to the International Pirates' Guild.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not amused by this, either. I'm just trying to figure out the "why?" behind it.

Some people don't need a reason to be an a**hole. They just are one.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
They have a military theme to the graphic. Are they mocking the notion of soldiers who lay down their lives for their friends and their countries? What do they hope to accompllsh by hacking a non-profit and by interweaving military threads into the wordcraft of resulting hacker vandalism?

Payback? Who is getting paid back? And for what crime? For the crime of laying down one's life for one's friends?

This is a great big WTF for me.

AA is often a court-mandated treatment where no other treatment is even considered, despite the fact that it is a religious organisation as per the ruling of the 9th District on this. I think it's the 9th, or the 8th. Not too up on US law.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Is there any boasting, a manifesto, a screed of some sort? The graphic is a head-scratcher. People who would tend to fly the Anonymous flag tend not to deface sites without some sort of clearly understandable statement to make, even if it is 'im in ur base pwning ur doodz.'

Possibly the image was ganked from somewhere where the context made more sense, in which case an agent provocateur?

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's not Anonymous. You can see the real 'Operation Payback' logo here, and you'll see even the url is different - ie anonops.net rather than anonops.in. They've made it impossible to hotlink, so the hoaxer had to make up their own.

Someone (or more likely some organization) is simply trying to discredit Anonymous, and it's getting very tiresome. I'm not a fan of the 4-chan style of Anonymous, but at least they're open about what they're doing, whereas media smears of this kind are just filthy.

When in doubt, you can always go to AnonNews and look at the latest press releases, but so far they've only targeted corruption, censorship, and organizations that have threatened them so it's pretty easy to guess what's real and what's not.

The Biblical quote here is interesting, though - I wonder if the 'threat' Westboro claimed to get was actually one of these hoaxes and not a publicity ploy of their own after all. Wouldn't it just make your heart bleed to think they got done over for nothing?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
No, it's not Anonymous. You can see the real 'Operation Payback' logo here, and you'll see even the url is different - ie anonops.net rather than anonops.in. They've made it impossible to hotlink, so the hoaxer had to make up their own.

Someone (or more likely some organization) is simply trying to discredit Anonymous, and it's getting very tiresome.
As noted upthread, anyone can claim to be a part of Anon, there's really no membership list to verify the claim (much like being a tea partier, oddly enough).

And I see no reason to accept/trust something like AnonNews. The set-up is--imo--getting dangerous: any action can be laid at the feet of Anonymous and the "real" Anonymous can always back out of any action by claiming it wasn't responsible. There's nothing positive going forward here. Bad news all the way around, imo. And it's not unsurprising.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As noted upthread, anyone can claim to be a part of Anon, there's really no membership list to verify the claim
That's absolutely true, but there's a difference between anonymous and Anonymous. The open-posting pages are only a shop window - if you dig deeper you'll see the real stuff happens behind very much closed doors. Somebody has to release the protected logo, somebody has to approve the press release. I'm guessing that's a collective thing, yes, but it gives them a definite identity as a group even while maintaining anonymity.

There's some kind of hierarchy too. One of the 'comments' in the 'payback' thread is from a distressed teen in Wisconsin saying people are having their homes broken into and their computers hacked. You'll see there is absolutely no further discussion on the page - he is immediately directed to someone much higher up the chain who 'may be able to do something about it', but the request has to be made on IRC.

I'm obviously not a member, but anyone who really was would know a lot more about whatever security they have in place. That's why it seems most likely these hoaxes are coming from people who have nothing to do with Anonymous at all, not even as wannabes.

And I see no reason to accept/trust something like AnonNews. The set-up is--imo--getting dangerous: any action can be laid at the feet of Anonymous and the "real" Anonymous can always back out of any action by claiming it wasn't responsible.
I thought that too, till I saw the restrictions surrounding that Payback logo, and the limits on press releases. This way if the real logo appears, then no, Anonymous can't back out of it later. If they do it and change their minds, then there are always screen shots to catch them out.

To me, that's a good thing. However currently well-motivated Anonymous appear to be, I still feel happier knowing they're taking at least some responsibility.