PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone read it??

DamaNegra
10-17-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm writing a novel which falls under the fantasy category. I'm hoping to publish it as soon as it's done, but as far as it's going, it's not a novel suitable for young kids. I've been told that the adult market for fantasy novels is practically non-existent, so I'm in a dilemma. Getting rid of some of the content to make it child-friendly would hurt my novel terribly. Is it ture about adult market for fantasy novels??

azbikergirl
10-17-2005, 09:47 AM
I sure hope not. Most of the fantasy I read is targeted at adults, as is the fantasy I write.

Susan Gable
10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Harlequin's parent company also has a fairly new fantasy imprint called Luna. From what I see, they seem to be doing well.

As to hoping to publish as SOON as it's finished - you may want to do some more homework. :) It takes quite a while to move a novel from completed manuscript to published book with a reputable publisher. Don't get taken for a ride you don't want to be on. :)

Susan G.

The Numinous One
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Absolutely not. There's a very large and healthy adult fantasy market - whoever told you that was either lying or horrifically misinformed. I suggest you go to your local bookstore and take a look at the science fiction/fantasy section - or you can even go to Amazon.com and flip through the listings. There are thousands of books in print, and many of them hit the New York Times Bestseller list (I'm fairly certain that George R.R. Martin's latest novel in his fantasy series will debut on the #1 spot when it's released).

And ditto to what Susan Gable said - it can be years from completion of manuscript to publication, so make sure you do your homework, and don't rush into anything that looks like it's too good to be true. If you've written a good novel, it deserves to be with a good publisher, not a fast one!

ANNIE
10-17-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm writing a novel which falls under the fantasy category. I'm hoping to publish it as soon as it's done, but as far as it's going, it's not a novel suitable for young kids. I've been told that the adult market for fantasy novels is practically non-existent, so I'm in a dilemma. Getting rid of some of the content to make it child-friendly would hurt my novel terribly. Is it ture about adult market for fantasy novels??

Gee I hope Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffery, and Robert Jordan haven't heard that adult Fantasy doesn't sell.

Jamesaritchie
10-17-2005, 06:02 PM
I think it depends on what is meant by "adult" fantasy. If this means R or X rated with graphic sex, etc., there is less of a market for long fantasy fiction, though short fantasy of this type can go over well.

But if you mean fantasy for adults, fantasy that adults, as well as teens, like to read, there's a pretty big market.

victoriastrauss
10-17-2005, 08:03 PM
I've been told that the adult market for fantasy novels is practically non-existent, so I'm in a dilemma.Who told you this? It isn't true (as long as by "adult" you mean "grownup", not "XXX"). Fantasy is a pretty healthy market right now.

- Victoria

sassandgroove
10-17-2005, 08:05 PM
I read more fantasy now then when I was a kid. As a kid, I was surrounded by it because my parents read it, and now I borrow from their library, my husband's, and am building my own.

DamaNegra
10-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Well, it sounds like I'm seriously misinformed here, I was getting worried. I do plan on publishing the book, and I meant 'as soon as I'm finished' considering I've been writing it for 4 years and it still isn't halfway done, so yeah, compared to that another two or three years after completion would be pretty soon :)

veinglory
10-18-2005, 06:28 AM
Books stores devoted huge amounts of shelf space to adult fantasy--and they do that strictly based on sales.