Another simple dialogue question

Lady Domino

"The water gypsy"
Registered
Reaction score
My main charecter is speaking, imparting knowledge that in the situation only he knows to two other charecters. At present this peice of dialogue is almost 600 words long and is uninterupted by the two women.

My question is this - is the dialogue too long?

How long is too long?

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I couldnt say for sure without looking at it, but it is always good to interupt large chunks of dialogue. The simplest way to break up the dialogue would be with action, after all, a person hardly ever stands motionless and speaks without action.

I would say that dialogue becomes too long when you think it runs the risk of being skimmed.

Reaction score
Website
ore-sama.deviantart.com
Well people can talk a lot. But you always have to keep an eye on credibility. How likely is your character to tell such a long story to two people who don't tire or interrupt? You may want to try telling that story to people you know as well as the character does those women, and see what happens. Personally, I don't think it works unless interrupted by action or response.
Also, depending on what those 600 words are about, it may seem preachy/explaining to the reader who will see his intelligence insulted.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
The two who are listening don't have to say anything to respond. Perhaps one of them could nod or gasp or stop filing her fingernails or something to show how they are reacting to this information. Or the speaker can look at them to make sure they are paying attention. That will break up the long stretch of explanation without actually interrupting.

Lady Domino

"The water gypsy"
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. You've confirmed what I suspected, the speach is too long, it would be easy to skip past it, and the information is important.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
If it's just one speaker who goes on for 600 words without being uninterrupted by other characters, that's not dialogue--that's a monologue.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds too long, but breaking it up is pretty easy.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
It's hard to say without looking at it, but it probably needs to be broken up. If you don't want to have her speech interrupted by one of the other characters, then you can do it in lots of other ways, e.g. she cleared her throat, or paused, and walked over to the window before continuing.

Think of a movie. Even when a character is giving a long speech, they break it up. You might have someone fidgeting, or a part where the speaker gets emotional, angry, or lost for words.

There are infinite ways of doing it, but 600 words probably should be broken up somehow.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
I researched this

I ran into the same situation in my novel. I went to my home library and skimmed all my books. I could not find a single example of a speech lasting longer than a middle length paragraph. No long.

If you want to make it longer, add some short action tags. You know, the talker smiles, waves her hands, sit downs, grimaces, the listeners do likewise. Give the reader some relief.

You know how to use quotes in multiple spoken paragraphs right? It unbalanced them, because you don't use a ending quote at the end of the paragraph, but you do use a quote at the start. I hate that unbalance, another reason to end a speech at a paragraph.

My .02, not reading your story, that except in usual cases, 5-6 spoken sentences is the maximum advisable. If you go longer, it had better be gripping and intense, otherwise I guarantee your reader will simply skip over it.

Dumb example, if you have a crazy murderer lecturing the tied bad guys about how he's going to blow up the world, go for it, but have them struggling, reacting, making plans as he struts and gloats, break it up.

Unless your hero is named Hamlet, try to avoid it.

My main charecter is speaking, imparting knowledge that in the situation only he knows to two other charecters. At present this peice of dialogue is almost 600 words long and is uninterupted by the two women.

My question is this - is the dialogue too long?

How long is too long?

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
I believe it was King's Deloris Claiborne novel that was written entirely in the dialog from a single character (Deloris). No narration. No dialog from any other characters.

It's only too long if we get bored with it.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
A good way to figure out how long is too long, is to read it out loud and have someone time you.

I can guarantee you that most people would stop listening after the first 200 words and maybe even sooner given the lack of attention span listeners have these days. (I taught a seminar last April on this very topic)

Break it up with action on the part of the listeners and I'd have your character get interrupted because in real life that's most likely what will happen.

And remember, too much dialogue is just as much as an info dump as too much description.