My Grandfather and I are writing a book

Royal Mercury

I think I am, therefore....
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings,

My Grandfather and I are writing a book together about his year prospecting for oil in Mexico during the Mexican Revolution. Actually, he did all the writing and my part is to make it saleable.

I took fiction and screen writing classes in college so I'm comfortable with that end. I've made a number of websites, I've been a professional animator so I can do graphics, and organized local groups so I'm comfortable speaking in public. I have no shame. ;)

What I'm having to learn is the business end of writing. I looked at a number of writing sites like this and this looked like the busiest and most comprehensive.

It's an exciting project. The book is based on the love letters he wrote to my Grandmother while he was courting her. I've also got his original log he wrote for himself that tracks his travels a bit better. Going through his papers I've also uncovered other documents like his list of how much food should be packed for a mule-train trip through the wild.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. Thanks in advance.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Welcome Royal Mercury! Sounds like quite a task ahead, I'm sure it will be great fun. As you are writing non-fiction, you will find that most agents will ask you for a proposal. It takes the romance out of writing because you realize that you are about to enter a business transaction. It should not put you off writing, it is just to make you aware of what is expected today. Lots and lots of websites out there that can help you understand the world of writing and publishing non-fiction. As for how to write a non-fiction proposal, there are lots of books and websites out there too. Some agents offer good guidelines in their submissions section, for example http://fineprintlit.com/submission-guidelines/writing-a-proposal/ and http://www.manuslit.com/flash/index.html For the manus Lit site, it's flash so you need to navigate to find the page. Hope this helps.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

Royal Mercury

I think I am, therefore....
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I have gone through the Newbie's Guide. I'll have to pass on the pass to the pool on the roof though.

I'm not scared of the business end of writing. That's really the part I want to learn about the most. I've been working on the synopsis and starting to build a website. It's sure a bigger project than I originally anticipated.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?
That's cool that you are helping him. Best wishes.
If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Roy,
Such a cool project you're taking on with your grandfather. And one, I'll bet, that you will remember fondly your entire life.