So, how does one become an editor?

Tsiamon

Registered
Reaction score
Over the past few years, and with the help of AWWC, I've come to realize something: I enjoy beta reading and editing almost as much as I love writing my own fiction. My ultimate goal is to publish my own novels, but I'm more than aware that such success does not come overnight. In the meantime, I want a job in the publishing industry. My college and writing experience has led me to believe that I might make a good book (or even short story) editor, though in terms of actually landing such a job, it has left me helpless. I don't see any help wanted ads for 'book editor' on Craigslist.

The thing is, I don't even know where to start looking for an editing job. It doesn't help that I'm unable to migrate closer to that publishing/editing Mecca of New York. I live in the Chicago area and for a variety of reasons, won't be able to leave the Chicago/Milwaukee area for a few years. This may not be all bad, though: I understand there are several job opportunities in the area, I just don't have the resources to find them.

I love to read manuscripts. I have an eye for detail and can find typos, grammatical and syntax errors as well as plot holes, character inconsistency, and logistical problems. I am a self-starter, internally motivated, a hard worker, and I pride myself on my effective communication and problem-solving skills. I believe I have a reasonable understanding of market demand where several genres are concerned. I could easily see myself editing manuscripts for eight hours a day, though I understand that editors generally do much more than that.

I could continue to dump information on you about why I would like to be an editor, but I'm not convinced it's strictly necessary when all I really want right now are a few solid leads on how to pursue this sort of career. I can provide more information at request. In the meantime, though: I want to be an editor! Where do I sign up? Ideas?

Thank you all,
-Allison

Deleted member 42

It helps if you have a humanities B.A. or better, but it's not required.

There are a few publishing courses with certificates that help quite a lot; the ones I know the most about are in N.Y.

But the best piece of advice if you want to edit fiction, is to apply for one of the internships offered by publishers. In the U.S. ,most of them are in N.Y. Some pay a little--a very little--most do not pay but will give you exposure, experience, training and college credit if you're a student.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Hi Tsiamon, I do not know much about the industry other than I have been reading in the past couple of months since getting serious about my memoir. I am now working with three editors and as someone who is now dead broke as a result, I'd like to offer some suggestions based on my recent experience:

1. Use your beta experience. Have any of the books you read/edited been sold to a publishing house? If so, ask the writers for testimonials.

2. Offer your services as a sideline to build up your portfolio. Promote yourself on writers' forums like AW and AQConnect and other related sites. Charge a fee, lower than the competition but not so low that you diminish the value of your work.

3. Contact freelance editors. Check out Publishers Marketplace and also [FONT=&quot]www.wordsintoprint.org. [/FONT], an informal group of freelance editors, some of the best in the country, I believe. Offer your services for a small fee. they make quite a biut and may not mind paying you part of their fee to have an intial look while they then take a closer look. I believe some editors do this but I'm not 100% sure.

You're not going to make a lot of money but you will gain a lot of experience while being able to keep your day job.

Hope this helps. I really wish you all the best. Follow your dream.

Tsiamon

Registered
Reaction score
Freelancing. That's an interesting idea. My degree is in Psychology with a minor in Humanities and recognition from the honors college, which, trust me, was nothing but reading, writing, and editing for two classes a semester for three years.

I graduated in August, so college credit doesn't do me much good anymore and as somebody who now has to support herself in life, the idea of doing an unpaid internship makes me wonder how I'm going to eat. I'll look in to something in the Chicago/Milwaukee area, though. Thanks for the ideas.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Freelancing. That's an interesting idea.

Interesting, yes. But would you hire an independent editor who has no publishing credentials to polish your novel?

There is a lot more to editing than just checking for grammar usages.

Think about interning...

Tsiamon

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed. Again, since I'm entirely not-streetwise to the industry in general, my job search starts with Google and I'm left with a few questions. I understand that internships are generally unpaid, but if I were to take an internship at an independent book publisher, would this somehow be less valuable than one from a traditional publishing house? I'm only just beginning to explore my target area for potential positions. The publishing house I'm looking at right now requires all manuscripts to go through several rounds of edits, approvals and modifications which, from my impression, is more than what self-publishers generally provide.

At the same time, keep in mind that I am geographically restricted to Chicago and Milwaukee, so my options are limited.

Thanks,
Allison

Deleted member 42

Try University of Chicago Press, and look into the publishing course University of Chicago offers.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I graduated in August, so college credit doesn't do me much good anymore and as somebody who now has to support herself in life, the idea of doing an unpaid internship makes me wonder how I'm going to eat. I'll look in to something in the Chicago/Milwaukee area, though. Thanks for the ideas.

Part-time internship while you do another day job. Some of the e-publishers are offering editorial internships, so that doesn't have to be as geographically bound as it once did.

Or perhaps you can find an entry-level job that combines office work with some opportunities to begin editing. A great Chicago resource is Chicago Book Clinic.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Either have an appropriate degree, or become a successful writer.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I became an editor for a small romance epublisher by applying on their website. If you wanted to start small and get some experience, that might be a way to go. There are lots and lots of epublishers out there. Good luck with your job search!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
All writing-heavy humanities degrees are good preparation for editing, so you're set there.

Something to think about is putting your psych background to work in a writing/editing day job; Idealist.org might have communications gigs at human services organizations.