Facebook helps self esteem.

Besides the site, what social sites do you use, if any?

• Total voters

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.media/03/01/facebook.self.esteem/index.html?hpt=T2

A new study suggests that spending time with the online you -- the one with the hundreds of friends, the witty status updates and all the unflattering photos untagged -- might help your self-esteem.

"For many people, there's an automatic assumption that the internet is bad," Hancock said. "This is one of the first studies to show that there's a psychological benefit of Facebook."

Some, including some members of the psychology community, say that Facebook also can lead to troublesome behavior. Some therapists say they've seen clients who display addictive behavior toward the site.

I think this makes sense. It can be fun and lets you get a little ego stroke. As long as people don't become addicted to it, I think it's a positive thing. Of course, the internet can be addictive and dangerouse. My daughters want a facebook page, but they're only 12 so we told them no for now.

Reaction score
Facebook is the greatest website ever IMO.

AW, of course, a very close second.

:)

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Does this means the new media could not be the tool of the devil, out to bring violent murderous instincts in our poor children?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Facebook helps self esteem.

as it often operates on a "social contract of the lonely" model, wherein i will pretend to care that you just got the new katy perry album if you will care that i just posted a photo of my cat, i'm not surprised that it leads to some people feeling more significant or less ignored.

but i'm not sure self-esteem derived from delusion is a positive thing.

Reaction score
as it often operates on a "social contract of the lonely" model, wherein i will pretend to care that you just got the new katy perry album if you will care that i just posted a photo of my cat, i'm not surprised that it leads to some people feeling more significant or less ignored.

but i'm not sure self-esteem derived from delusion is a positive thing.

If the cat is cute, I will care and not be pretending.

Because I am a good person.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I can personally vouch for this. I'm a pretty shy person in real life and it's really hard for me to make friends. However, when I joined Facebook suddenly a bunch of women from my church all added me. I found Facebook to be a great, low-pressure way to get to know them better - particularly learning people's names, kids, etc., which I have such a hard time remembering. And they got to know me much better because my sense of humor is so much more apparent in writing! Once I got to know them on Facebook, that translated into better real world friendships, playdates, etc.

Honestly Facebook really helps boost my confidence in my social skills. I don't know if it's a direct result of Facebooking, but I'm definitely more confident and assertive in person than I used to be.

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's just another way people are replacing real interaction (and their real selves) with the online world.

Yes, it's an ego stroke sometimes. But... I don't like learning about the party I wasn't invited to that I never would have known about. I hate the people who get Christmas letter syndrome and have to post every day about how AWESOME their lives are. And I truly detest the mystery posts - the ones where someone posts something just to get everyone to ask them what they were talking about.

Having 300 friends doesn't mean you've talked to anyone real that day. In fact, I find I'm less likely to talk to anyone anywhere because everyone's on their smartphones checking Facebook.

At least it you can find out sooner when the person you don't see often enough gets cancer.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I think it's just another way people are replacing real interaction (and their real selves) with the online world.

I don't understand why online interaction is less valid than real-world interaction. Both are ways of communicating. As a writer, I'm comfortable writing. I like to spend time with people online because I get to know them in ways I don't in real life. My husband and I met in the real world... and then spent months trading instant messages before we decided to get together in person again.

Having 300 friends doesn't mean you've talked to anyone real that day. In fact, I find I'm less likely to talk to anyone anywhere because everyone's on their smartphones checking Facebook.

I actually unfriended someone because I asked if anyone knew what a certain type of plant was, and she asked if I wanted her to ask one of her 2,654 friends. Ummm, no. :)

It's a good way to stay in the loop when someone you don't see often enough turns out to have cancer. That's been happening more than I'd like... But even then, there might be better ways.

Actually I've discovered it's also a great way to stay in touch with distant relatives. I have a cousin who I hardly ever get to see and we've now been able to share music, photos, and anecdotes from our lives. In the past, when we actually got together it would be all awkward because we didn't know what to say. Now when we get together it's great because we're caught up on each other's lives and we have stuff to chat about!

Sarah Madara

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why online interaction is less valid than real-world interaction.
I guess I'm just old-school ;) I wouldn't say it's not valid, only that there is some danger in decreasing our quantity of in-person interaction. I don't think working at a computer is less valid than working on a farm, but I do think I suffer when I haven't been getting outside or moving around enough. I think face-to-face interaction is like sunshine and exercise - easily displaced and sorely missed.

Actually I've discovered it's also a great way to stay in touch with distant relatives.

I agree, and that's where most of the benefit has been for me.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I didn't even know you had a cat, William.

oh my yes. i have two:

phantom

phantom.jpg

and winston

winston.jpg

now someone make me feel better about myself.

Sarah Madara

Registered
Reaction score
What's so great about in person interaction?

Well, according to your quote, when you have less in-person interaction, there is a danger of... me. Trust me, I'm scary ;)

Honestly, I don't always enjoy interacting with people in person. And even when I do end up enjoying it, I almost always dread it. But I'm the same way with sunshine and exercise. I don't know why it's good for me (people, I mean - I understand about vitamin D and muscles and stuff).

If I'm in the minority in finding my mental health declines when in-person social interactions are down, then I'll be surprised because my gut tells me people evolved to need a certain amount of face time. But I have zero data on this one and cannot argue the point, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
phantom in 2005:

38144.jpg

http://kittenwar.com/kittens/38144/

i like the cats. they take their jobs harassing our dogs very seriously.

i respect their dedication.

Your cats are adorable. I can't have cats because my wife is very allergic. Besides, this is a dog house.

187206_100000175864377_4896560_n.jpg

Toby on the left, Roxie on the right. Since we're sharing pets!!

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
lindsay lohan's latest status asks why it's so cold in LA, and 121 people liked that update and almost 100 people commented on it. facebook is like the great french courts of yesterday; ordinary citizens can analyze and digest the news in a highly rigorous, academic manner.

facebook comments are so amazing that the new york times, one of the best newspapers on the planet, uses them as sources for articles on complex international events.

Deleted member 42

oh my yes. i have two:.

Cat Pr0n.

Alas, I have no cat of my own; I am a mere step-monkey, good for food when all else fails.

And only yesterday I learned that Ceiling Cat has an opposite; Basement Cat.

I think I shall soon begin my great translation effort, either Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, or the cat poems of Christopher Smart about Jeffrey and kin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I like FB, so don't take this as FB bashing but...

Not only does FB help self-esteem, it inflates egos enough to allow people to believe that of course I want to know what they had for dinner tonight! A picture of your meal?! Absolutely!!

Seriously, I've seen people TWICE in the past week post pics of their dinners. That's some high self-esteem as far as I'm concerned.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
My FB scrabble partners keep ditching me, though.