Baja Arizona: 51st state a first-rate idea

CDSinex

Imagine something clever here.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reaction to reactionaries? As the Arizona legislature passes a nullification bill (Link is a PDF), Pima County presses to secede from Arizona.

The insurgent group "Start Our State" made headlines recently by calling for Pima County to secede from Arizona and become its own state, called "Baja Arizona." The primary reason for this, according to group co-chairman Paul Eckerstrom, is that the heavily liberal population of Southern Arizona is fed up with Republican-dominated state politics.
In 2000 Pima County had a population of 843,746 which was more than Wyoming, Vermont, North Dakota, Alaska, and South Dakota.

At 9,189 sq. mi. it is larger than Rhode Island, Delaware, Connecticut, and New Jersey.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I thought those Krazy Konservative Konstitutionalists were the only ones talking about things like nullification and succession. Except for Vermont, that is.

The Balkanization begins. I wonder who'll fire on Fort Sumter this time?

ETA: There are some teeth in that nullification act.
Accordingly, we affirm that neither the "Commerce Clause," the "general welfare clause" or the "necessary and proper clause" of the United States Constitution have ever been expanded, modified or amended and therefore, this state specifically rejects and denies any expanded authority that the federal government may attempt to enforce.

The Congress and the federal government are denied the power to establish laws within this state that are repugnant and obtrusive to state law and to the people in this state. They are restrained and confined in authority by the eighteen items as prescribed in Article I, section 8 of the United States Constitution.
ETA2: I see, the nullification and secession talk is by different sides of the aisle.

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure the rest of Arizona wouldn't be to sorry to see them go, as long as they left Old Tucson open to tourists. We'd probably have to move our airforce junk yard back to the states though.
Not a whole lot of reason to live in that part of Az unless you want to pile on liberal votes for local congressmen or take pictures of Suguaro and Organpipe Cacti. It would make a nice buffer at the border to soak up drug dealers etc.

Come to think of it we could just move the Old Tucson movie sets to Carefree
GO FOR IT !!!!

The Tombstone mines and those like it in the area gave it some value once upon a time. It's been going downhill ever since the Earp Brothers moved into the neighborhood.

Last edited:

CDSinex

Imagine something clever here.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except for Vermont ...

Don't forget, The Republic of Cascadia.

casflagbg.gif

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I live here and this is not Big news at all. In fact, had to read it here first. lol

This is the home of lots of things besides Old Tucson and the Plane Storage/Museum. lol

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Years ago northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan talked about forming a new state named "Superior". The proponents didn't like sending their money downstate.
Then they realized there was no tax base, few people, and little industry (other than tourism).
The idea has gone nowhere.
I expect the same will happen in Arizona.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Years ago northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan talked about forming a new state named "Superior".

It's a shame it didn't go anywhere. That would've been a great name.