G'day from the land downunder

Reaction score
I just joined up here so I thought I'd say a quick G'day and see if anyone's got a coldie handy they're willing to sling my way while I fire up the barbie.

If that intro doesn't tell you where I hail from I'll give you another bit of a clue to make it easier by asking if ya fancy kangaroo, emu or croc snags for your tucker, as I just made up a fresh batch of all three sorts out of three day old roadkill that I'm willing to share around ;)

If you need to blame someone for my being here you can blame the Pommie sheila member that recommended this place to me through an exchange of private emails about publishers.
Maybe I best not name her in case you decide to throw her out for directing me here.

Anyway, best not make a big deal out of things for the time being, so I'll shut up and take a bit more of a sticky beak about the place and see who's dumb enough to accept one of these snags.

Hooroo for now then all

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

Lynx1482

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm new here myself but already started to learn a few things. People here are friendly and you'll receive a retinue of hellos in no time. And if we're going for vernacular greetings, I guess I should say howdy or something.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a 'roo steak for dinner. Not roadkill though - it was bought at the local Woolies.

It's nice having a coat of arms that BBQs well.

We are doing better the Brits .. I've never met anyone who has enjoyed a meal of Lion & Unicorn !

Welcome !

Mac

The Deuce

Registered
Reaction score
Hey. Welcome to AW! Hope you like it here.

Reaction score
It's nice having a coat of arms that BBQs well.

Up here in the north of Qld there's plenty of them going on the hoof to save a dollar or two at Wollies.

Thing that gets me about the Pommie coat of arms is that you don't see too many lions and unicorns running about the countryside over there, so where did they come up with the idea from?

KateHawkings

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
My heart will always live in the land of the long
Website
katherinehawkings.blogspot.com
Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda, lying in the grass with a dagger... Uh *shifty eyes* maybe this song isn't appropriate here...

Anyway, aside from the fact you're an Aussie I'm sure you are lovely, it's nice to meet you.
I hope you enjoy the forum, I've been loving it. Good luck with your writing.

Kat (Kiwi and fellow newbie)

Reaction score
Geez, that shows they'll let anyone in here when you find a Kiwi about the place, but then Kiwis are like mice, they get into anywhere.

Good to meet ya Kat.

I'm trying to find out how things work around here without making too much of a fool of myself, but when you're an old fart like me making a fool of yourself is an everyday occurence, but you get to the stage where you just don't care about it any more lol.

KateHawkings

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
My heart will always live in the land of the long
Website
katherinehawkings.blogspot.com
You shouldn't care, making an fool out of ones self is rather entertaining for all involved... Or at least those watching :D

There is a lot to find here, I've only been here just over a day, I'm still just exploring really and taking everything in.

Where in Aus are you from? I hope you weren't affected by the flooding? I was living in Melbourne last year...

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn? I think I understood most of what you said. :D

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Kittenmay

Magical flying kitty
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW :)
I'm also a newbie

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I guess if we're giving greetings in our local vernacular, I should say it's wicked nice to meetcha!

-Suzanne

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Thing that gets me about the Pommie coat of arms is that you don't see too many lions and unicorns running about the countryside over there, so where did they come up with the idea from?
It apparently goes back to Richard I - back in the 1100s. We know that royalty kept them in at least the 1200s and he seemed to be fond of his nickname 'Richard the Lionheart'.

It's also quite possible that lions used to be common in Britain. It sounds weird - but part of the problem with living on an island is that humans tend to wipe out any species they don't get on with - and larger animals are the most vulnerable. Lions were considered a nuisance throughout the Roman empire and there was a reward for killing them.

Of course there were plenty of 'Cave Lions' (or maybe 'European Lions') in Britain in about 10,000 BCE ... but that doesn't really count because it's only recently we've known about it!

Mac

Last edited: