Boycott called for UK census

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Lockheed Martin – which does 80% of its work for the US defence department – assists more than two dozen American government agencies and is involved in surveillance and data processing for the CIA and FBI. It has controversially provided private contract interrogators to the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq and Guantánamo Bay in Cuba. All US-based companies are subject to the Patriot Act, which allows the US government to have access to any data in the company's possession. Campaigners have warned this could give the US government access to detailed and personal data on the UK's entire population.

Such a nice choice of contractor for a national census with all sorts of sensitive information, isn't it?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I myself signed up to be a census canvasser in Swindon. Two weeks later I found myself in a Romanian Rendition Camp with a hammer in one hand and a bucket of water in the other. The dude tied to the chair in front of me was super nice and cooperative.

Reaction score
Apparently David Cameron is advocating waterboarding for non-respondents.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Much laughter! I'd looked at the sample form when the census was announced but didn't notice any physical threat clauses. Just what are the consequences of not filling it in and returning it?

-Derek

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I did hear something about the census on the radio-about the growing number of adherents to the Church of the Latter Day Dude, and a debate on how many people will put Dudeism as their religion.

A Dudeist Priest was quoted as saying the best part was, his duties were to 'be cool'.

Could be a threat to the Jedis among us, you think?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
A tenner says someone leaves it all on a train somewhere.

No way. Then the correct people could possibly retrieve it, and no government is that careful.

It probably all gets fed-ex'd to Identity Theft Inc.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I think perhaps LM shouldn't be doing this census. The Patriot Act was just recently renewed--after a period of time where they pretended to fail to renew it. For my own part, I don't think this looks good. I filled out our census, but I would be much more uncomfortable filling out yours.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
The contractor will get paid just the same. How will boycotting it hurt the UK government? Unless you consider causing a cut in civil services to to improper data, leaving millions of the UK's citizens without things they need, to be a valiant effort. In which case, carry on. That'll show em'!

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
The contractor will get paid just the same. How will boycotting it hurt the UK government? Unless you consider causing a cut in civil services to to improper data, leaving millions of the UK's citizens without things they need, to be a valiant effort. In which case, carry on. That'll show em'!

Maybe it's only a raised haroomph-reaction to feeding even more British personal information to our dear friends at CIA and the FBI?

In this case, there's nothing wrong with Buy British, I think.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com

I don't think the boycott is about that for a lot of people. It's about being pissed off with who's running the census and the amount of money spent by a government which is cutting back on just about everything due to a lack of funds. People want to send that message to our government.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
If you boycott the census that will directly affect government funding for your area, as that's partly dependent on size of the local population. As happened in the 1991 census, when everyone was dodging the poll tax.