'Allo

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Hi :hi:

I'm really new here.
I've been writing since I was about 11 years old. Looking forward to trying to self publish in the near future. It's kind of nerve wreaking though.

Happy to meet everyone here!

FYI: I do write horror erotica. Glad to see a dedicated area to erotica fiction at a forum board :hooray:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm new too, sorta.

I'm curious (in a non-judgmental way) why you'd chose self-publishing over trad publishing?

-Suzanne

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn? Erotica SYW is a different password.

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes :)

zanzjan,

there are different reasons I'd rather choose self publishing:

1. (I'm not sure if all publishers do this) I don't want to work against deadlines.
2. I'm sort of afraid of rejection and I also suffer from "no one will want to read my stuff" syndrome. That's changing slowly though as I post short stories at my blog.

Self publishing is sort of what I'm doing already so I'm used to it. Though it is a lot more work.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
1. (I'm not sure if all publishers do this) I don't want to work against deadlines.

Most of the time when you query agents, you have the whole book finished first (there are exceptions in NF), so you probably wouldn't have many deadlines...

~Amber~

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
2. I'm sort of afraid of rejection and I also suffer from "no one will want to read my stuff" syndrome. That's changing slowly though as I post short stories at my blog.

I may be wrong, but IME so far, deadlines seem to be more a way of life for established authors who sell novels based on an outline/synopsis, whereas us regular nobodies have to have the actual novel finished first (which makes deadlines less of a worry.)

As for rejections, they stink. I'm not sure you ever quite get used to them, though you get better about having a thick skin and self-medicating with chocolate/bad TV/short-stint-self-indulgent moping when one really zings you hard. Myself and other writer friends make it a practice to throw a party every 50 or 100 rejections, not because we like rejections, but because it shows we haven't given up yet and THAT is always worth celebrating. (-:

Not to argue you out of self-publishing if that's the way you want to go, though there are some real scam-houses out there (the biggies of whom are discussed at length elsewhere on AW) that sadly muddy the field for a lot of folks. )-:

-Suzanne

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
(not to imply in my previous post that we're regular nobodies. I'm a special nobody, myself!)

-Suzanne

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up VampirePrincess!

However, I was thinking that after my manuscript is completed and they like it... would they want me to work on another story/or sequel and have it complete in a certain time frame?
That's just saying that my work did sell, of course.

Ooops, just posted after zanzjan did!

I may think of traditional publishing too. I'm not done with my novella so I'll have plenty time to think which route I want to take.
I do know though that once I do go self-publishing, some traditional publishers would be more likely to reject me. This is what I read though. Who knows.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
However, I was thinking that after my manuscript is completed and they like it... would they want me to work on another story/or sequel and have it complete in a certain time frame?

It's entirely possible you might have another one (or more) written by then anyway. I can count how long my last novel has been on submission in years.

-Suzanne

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10