Few questions (pauses / o.k. vs. okay)

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this is already listed, couldn't find it.

I've seen different ways of pausing in dialogue. In one novel I've seen both. I want the person to say "Ok" a slight pause, "go get it." In the scene they meet something that neither is too willing to go after. Which is correct for this?

"Ok, go get it."
"Ok--go get it."
"Ok...go get it."

Also, two birds with one stone, which is the correct usage of "it" in the following and the correct placement of commas?

The sleek, shiny black serpentine creature wove its way down through the branches from its perch high up in the tree eager to receive the spoils of its calling.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would do it like this:

"Okay . . . go get it."

Sometimes you could also do it similar to this: "Okay," he drawled. "Go get it." This sort of indicates a slight pause, or at least it can come across to the reader that way.

Your choice on whether to use OK or okay.

If I understand your question, you've used the correct (possessive) form of its (NOT it's).

Last edited:

Dandroid

Registered
Reaction score
you could do... "Okay," he said, "go get it." a natural pause.

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That definitely is a better way and adds an even better feel. :)

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry if this is already listed, couldn't find it.

I've seen different ways of pausing in dialogue. In one novel I've seen both. I want the person to say "Ok" a slight pause, "go get it." In the scene they meet something that neither is too willing to go after. Which is correct for this?

"Ok, go get it."
"Ok--go get it."
"Ok...go get it."

It should be "O.K., go get it." But if this is dialogue, then do it as you wish; and I'm the only one who still regards O.K. as an abbreviation.

Also, two birds with one stone, which is the correct usage of "it" in the following and the correct placement of commas?

The sleek, shiny, black, serpentine creature wove its way down through the branches from its perch high up in the tree eager to receive the spoils of its calling. The "its" are fine.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
It should be "O.K., go get it." But if this is dialogue, then do it as you wish; and I'm the only one who still regards O.K. as an abbreviation.
Actually, I'd advocate for "Okay" in dialogue.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Actually, I'd advocate for "Okay" in dialogue.

I still think of it as an abbreviation for "Oll Korrect" or "Old Kinderhook". But there are other theories for the origin of that, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were actually a version of the Occitan "oc".

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I write "okay," but most of us who sign fingerspell a quick O and K. It's definitely not waving thumbs up (by itself, the number 10) or a circled thumb and forefinger with the other fingers remaining up (the letter F or the number 9, depending on context).

However, many trying to sign think those signs mean O.K. or okay, so most of us who sign smile and accept.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com

The sleek, shiny black serpentine creature wove its way down through the branches from its perch high up in the tree eager to receive the spoils of its calling.

You need a comma after "tree."

But, it would to my mind be better if "eager to receive" came closer to "creature."

Eager to receive the spoils of its calling, the sleek, shiny black serpentine creature wove its way down through the branches from its perch high up in the tree.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
"Its" is correct for the possessive case. "It's" is a contraction of "it is".

Personally, I would go with "okay" rather than "o.k."

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Which is correct for this?

"Ok, go get it."
"Ok--go get it."
"Ok...go get it."
Some examples from published fiction:
"Mr. Crosetti!” he repeated, and added, swiftly, “He’s . . . dead!"
"What . . . the barber?"
(Something Wicked This Way Comes, Ray Bradbury, 1963).

'Because you shouldn’t want to be black people or Jewish people or anyone who is . . . not us.'
(The Book Thief, Markus Zusak, 2005)

"Hmm . . . not exactly," he said reluctantly.
(South of the Border, West of the Sun, Haruki Murakami, 1992)

'Whatever it was, he didn’t like Scott and this was his revenge,' she marveled to the empty, sunny rooms above the long barn. 'This . . . poison-pen clipping.'
(Lisey's Story, Stephen King, 2006)

'And nobody hired me to try and do nothing.' A pause. 'Anything, I mean. Now missus. You want to close your mouth and listen. Are you listen to me?'
(Lisey's Story, Stephen King, 2006)​

Last edited:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it might depend on the context and the mood of the scene, but if the pause is short, you might also try:

"Okay. Go get it."

You could also use an action beat in between that shows reluctance.

I also advocate "okay" vs. "ok."

And I agree with the comma after "tree," but as its absence doesn't cause confusion, you could also go without.

While it's technically correct to separate all the adjectives describing the creature with commas, it looks cumbersome. I would separate the least closely related ones with a comma and forgo other punctuation, or I would use fewer adjectives.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I don't believe that is correct. Why would you use an abbreviation? You would spell out okay in both dialogue and narrative.

There are many opinions about O.K. If you write it the way that you like, then that's fine with me. The word "okay" is a recent addition to the language that has no raison d'etre.

I just wasted a few seconds looking up the origin, and the Oxford Dictionaries site has this: "A more likely explanation is that the term originated as an abbreviation of orl korrekt , a jokey misspelling of 'all correct' which was current in the US in the 1830s. The oldest written references result from its use as a slogan by the Democratic party during the American Presidential election of 1840. Their candidate, President Martin Van Buren, was nicknamed 'Old Kinderhook' (after his birthplace in New York State), and his supporters formed the 'OK Club'. This undoubtedly helped to popularize the term (though it did not get President Van Buren re-elected)."
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/page/190

If one accepted this origin, the the non-word "okay" should be dropped, and we should all return to using the abbreviation "O.K."
But this is a waste of time, and all of the variants are widely accepted, so do whatever you like.

If you want a laugh, then read the Wikipedia article on this abbreviation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okay#Etymology

Last edited:

Jettica

Superfluously multisyllabic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jetink.blogspot.com
There are many opinions about O.K. If you write it the way that you like, then that's fine with me. The word "okay" is a recent addition to the language that has no raison d'etre.

I just wasted a few seconds looking up the origin, and the Oxford Dictionaries site has this: "A more likely explanation is that the term originated as an abbreviation of orl korrekt , a jokey misspelling of 'all correct' which was current in the US in the 1830s. The oldest written references result from its use as a slogan by the Democratic party during the American Presidential election of 1840. Their candidate, President Martin Van Buren, was nicknamed 'Old Kinderhook' (after his birthplace in New York State), and his supporters formed the 'OK Club'. This undoubtedly helped to popularize the term (though it did not get President Van Buren re-elected)."
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/page/190

If one accepted this origin, the the non-word "okay" should be dropped, and we should all return to using the abbreviation "O.K."
But this is a waste of time, and all of the variants are widely accepted, so do whatever you like.

If you want a laugh, then read the Wikipedia article on this abbreviation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okay#Etymology

Thanks for this, Peter. I had no idea of the origins.

I tend to write 'okay' because 'O.K.' looks clunky.

Does anyone think writing 'okay' is as bad a writing 'alright'?

Alias

Registered
Reaction score
Go with "Okay..." It looks better. If you find yourself using it to much, do what Alleycat suggested. used synonyms for said: i.e. "sighed" "drawled" "breathed"

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
It should be either okay or OK.
My editor told me okay was correct so I spent a LOT of time fixing dialogue after my first draft. I had used OK until she told me. I wish I had talked to you first, because I've never seen you steer someone wrong.