poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Civil Unions are good, full marriage rights are better but kudos Hawaii

i echo these sentiments, with the caveat that any incremental step that allows gay couples to participate as such in financial and medical situations is an important one.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'd really like to agree with Haskins, but an offer of separate drinking fountains and a seat in the back of the bus strikes me as rather arrogant of our rulers in this day and age. They're still stuck in the middle of the last century in understanding the concept of equal rights. WTF is so hard to interpret about those words?

At least plantation owners who split up families were recognized for the demons they were.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I'd really like to agree with Haskins, but an offer of separate drinking fountains and a seat in the back of the bus strikes me as rather arrogant of our rulers in this day and age. They're still stuck in the middle of the last century in understanding the concept of equal rights. WTF is so hard to interpret about those words?

At least plantation owners who split up families were recognized for the demons they were.

look, i'm not arguing your point. i feel that gay people should share in the same right to marriage as heteros.

but talk of "separate but equal" and "drinking fountains" doesn't mean shit to someone who can't visit his or her partner in the hospital or be apprised of their loved one's medical condition.

half-measures are rarely satisfying to those on the sidelines. but for those in the thick of it, it can make a real difference.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
look, i'm not arguing your point. i feel that gay people should share in the same right to marriage as heteros.

but talk of "separate but equal" and "drinking fountains" doesn't mean shit to someone who can't visit his or her partner in the hospital or be apprised of their loved one's medical condition.

half-measures are rarely satisfying to those on the sidelines. but for those in the thick of it, it can make a real difference.

I'm not going to argue your point either, because your point is valid, as long as people recognize civil unions for what they are.

The seperate drinking fountain analogy is valid too. Only, gay people in many states in the US have been outright banned from using the drinking fountains. Now they at least get a fountain at the back entrance, where the proper folk don't have to see them.

But... it's better than nothing.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, max, you said it for me. I understand the concept of appeasement; that doesn't mean I have to like it, or see it for anything other than what it is.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

The problem here is that if you visit a state that doesn't have a civil union law and end up in the hospital you're just as fucked.

Also, companies with headquarters outside of the state don't have any legal obligation to honor the civil unions.

They are substandard. The illusion of partial equality. Better than nothing? Sure.