Captured by pirates, Karma's a bitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/International/warship-tracking-yacht-hijacked-somali-pirates/story?id=12963934

Even though they weren't captured because they were proselytizing, I can't help to think that karma may have paid these do-not-so-gooders a visit. In my opinion, proselytizing is extremely arrogant and disrespectful of the beliefs of others. I remember something like this happened with missionary students not long after we invaded Iraq. This surely adds fuel to the fire of middle eastern mistrust of America. Imagine what we'd say if Islamic believers came to try to convince people to convert to their belief systems.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I guess that makes it ok to beat up the next Jehovah's Witness that rings your doorbell, then.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
While I don't in any way support the actions of these pirates, I do think the family in question are idiots. You go near one of, if not the most unstable place on the planet for the sake of telling them their religion is wrong. Did they really expect things to end up much differently?

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
The thing abour being a missionary is you shouldn't do it unless you really are prepared for the natives to toss you in a boiling pot and serve you for dinner.

Or prepared for the zealots to decapitate you in front of an active video camera.

Or prepared for the street gang to slice you open in a back alley.

I've done missionary work, so I can attest to this. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the mission field.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I guess that makes it ok to beat up the next Jehovah's Witness that rings your doorbell, then.

Actually, last time they came and wanted me, I told them how wonderful it was they were finally accepting openly gay people into their church. They left quickly and haven't been back since.
While I don't in any way support the actions of these pirates,
I don't support the pirates, but if they had to take folks I'm not sorry it was those idiots.
The thing abour being a missionary is you shouldn't do it unless you really are prepared for the natives to toss you in a boiling pot and serve you for dinner.

Or prepared for the zealots to decapitate you in front of an active video camera.

Or prepared for the street gang to slice you open in a back alley.

I've done missionary work, so I can attest to this. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the mission field.
Missionary work doesn't have to including trying to convert folks, does it?

Reaction score
While I don't in any way support the actions of these pirates, I do think the family in question are idiots. You go near one of, if not the most unstable place on the planet for the sake of telling them their religion is wrong. Did they really expect things to end up much differently?

I've said it a hundred times, but I'm so tired of having to save dumb Americans who put themselves in harms way.

Whether it's hiking in Iraq or boating near somalia or whatever.

And now our military has to spend it's time and money on this. And they should. I'm not saying we should just wash our hands, but if they are rescued they should have to pay some restitution to the country to pay for their rescue.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
According to that report, pirates are currently holding 29 vessels and 660 crewmembers! What continues to baffle me is why large ships passing through that region don't have armed security on board. Surely a handful of private security guys on each ship would be cheaper than all those ransoms, right? Not to mention it would be safer for the crew.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I've said it a hundred times, but I'm so tired of having to save dumb Americans who put themselves in harms way.

And now our military has to spend it's time and money on this. And they should. I'm not saying we should just wash our hands, but if they are rescued they should have to pay some restitution to the country to pay for their rescue.
Agreed, keep the funding for PP and let these people suffer the consequences of their stupidity.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
It's an interesting question brought up, about whether the government should protect people from pirates, especially pirates in a place like Somalia.

But I'll also say, the pirates need to re-examine their approach. In my opinion, they should form a government, dress up in funny white uniforms, call themselves the Somali coast guard, and then when they approach ships they can say, "We're from the coast guard, and we're here to tax your cargo at a rate of 100 percent and detain you."

That would be a great re-branding, and I think if they did that they would enjoy more international support. :D

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Sadly, so many ships pass through those waters, and the cost of a single firefight are potentially so huge, that it isn't cheaper than paying ransoms.

I'm willing to bet most maritime insurance policies don't cover damage caused by firefights between pirates and mercenary guards.

What we need are good, old fashioned q-ships. Stupid maritime regulations.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It's an interesting question brought up, about whether the government should protect people from pirates, especially pirates in a place like Somalia.

But I'll also say, the pirates need to re-examine their approach. In my opinion, they should form a government, dress up in funny white uniforms, call themselves the Somali coast guard, and then when they approach ships they can say, "We're from the coast guard, and we're here to tax your cargo at a rate of 100 percent and detain you."

That would be a great re-branding, and I think if they did that they would enjoy more international support. :D
That would be funny if it weren't so true. They'd have to lower their rates, though. Anything over 50% is considered too much these days. I think.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score

I would only add to this: it's not just time and money. Our military is now having to deal with people who have guns and rocket launchers. It's entirely possible the navy crewmen could be killed. There's a lot more at stake than just time and money.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't blaming victims a bad thing not too long ago?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also none too happy about the slightly sneering undertone at religious folk who do proselytize. I find it particularly out of place when the folks in the OP weren't even doing that at the time they were captured.

Stupid is one thing. Religious is another, and the twain do NOT always meet.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't blaming victims a bad thing not too long ago?
Blaming them is bad when they're just minding their own business and some kidnaps/kills/etc them.

Questioning the foresight of people who purposely travel to dangerous locations to tell those people their worshiping the wrong god, is something else. As well as traveling by ship, without any guards through a region that is known for piracy.

Reaction score
I would only add to this: it's not just time and money. Our military is now having to deal with people who have guns and rocket launchers. It's entirely possible the navy crewmen could be killed. There's a lot more at stake than just time and money.

Yeah, I hear ya. I just don't they are bold enough to fire on a Navy warship. A spitball and we can blow them out of the water.

I don't understand why there's a pirate issue. Why hasn't anyone just blown them all up?

And why, like someone else said, is anyone who's using these shipping lanes not armed to the hilt with security?

If you and I, Michael, not that it would ever happen, decided to go cruising together off the Somalia coast for spring break we would load up on bazookas and uzi's and predator drones.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I somehow suspect that the pirates didn't check their religious affiliation before seizing their ship. If they did, it would be the first time.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
And why, like someone else said, is anyone who's using these shipping lanes not armed to the hilt with security?

If you and I, Michael, not that it would ever happen, decided to go cruising together off the Somalia coast for spring break we would load up on bazookas and uzi's and predator drones.
Some countries don't permit private ownership of weapons, and if they're sailing from/to those ports, it might be a problem.

And when was the last time FedGov told you you could buy a bazooka, an uzi, or a predator drone?

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Blaming them is bad when they're just minding their own business and some kidnaps/kills/etc them.

Questioning the foresight of people who purposely travel to dangerous locations to tell those people their worshiping the wrong god, is something else. As well as traveling by ship, without any guards through a region that is known for piracy.

The title of the thread does not sound anything like, "Questioning the foresight of people who purposely travel to dangerous locations to tell those people they're worshiping the wrong god." It sounded more like, "Captured by pirates, Karma's a bitch."

And, you did not "Question [their] foresight," you called them idiots and suggested they deserved to be kidnapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.