those pesky little unnecessary words

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
I'm trying to remove unnecessary words, but sometimes I'm torn. Both of the below sentences are fine, one is shorter, but I'm so used to hearing the "for" I'm inclined to leave it in just because it feels right.

[FONT=&quot]She meant for us to find it.
[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]She meant us to find it.[/FONT]

I see a lot of cases like this - where a word isn't strictly necessary, but common speech uses it so often that it sounds a little strange when you leave it out. That little word "that" finds itself in a lot of these situations. You can leave it out, but it's not how people would talk.

Interested in your opinion, you guys are great.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Too proper sentences can stick out strangely. In this case, I might write "She'd wanted us to find it."

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can leave it out, but it's not how people would talk.

I agree it's how some people talk.

I've noticed how writers of crime shows must "narrow down" a search. Now, no matter the level of diction my narrator or character uses, well-meaning critiquers correct "I'll narrow the field for you" to "I'll narrow down the field for you."

Or make "She walked to the desk" into "She walked over to the desk."

"They continued" becomes "They continued on."

"Where is he?" grows to "Where is he at?"

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't West Germanic languages have a lot of words that have preposition+verb?

zusammen, gesundheit, and so forth. It might be worth the while to look at what the verb is.

Walk means to ambulate.

Walk over means to traverse, to cross.

Walk to means to approach.

Walk over to means to traverse and approach.

Meant means "had in mind, said."

Meant for means something like "purposed, spoken for by."

Mollfie

Registered
Reaction score
I personally prefer it with the "for" because it reads better and it's what I hear more often.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
"She meant us to find it" hurts my ears. You need the "for." I understand some people say that and it's okay to include in the dialogue if it's something the character would say. But in narrative, it's wrong.

For example, in my regional dialect people say things like "the car needs washed." It's colloquial and fine in dialogue, but grammatically it's incorrect. The correct sentence is "the car needs to be washed."

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Is this...

a US - UK/Commonwealth thing?

One of my students pointed me to this thread because I'd recently told 'em off for writing He meant for. in a similar sentence.

Why do you need the for after meant?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
a US - UK/Commonwealth thing?

One of my students pointed me to this thread because I'd recently told 'em off for writing He meant for. in a similar sentence.

Why do you need the for after meant?
Mean = be refering to
Mean for = intend for
Mean to = intend to

Something like that. It is a verb+preposition combo that is native in West Germanic languages.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Well, "He meant us to find it," sounds more natural to me in narrative. In dialogue, especially a child's dialogue, I'd use the "for."

Like "Where it's at," which I never heard till I came to the midwest, it sounds very casual to me.

And, "The car needs washed," is just plain (a) wrong or (b) country, depending on who you talk to.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
"She meant us to find it" hurts my ears. You need the "for." I understand some people say that and it's okay to include in the dialogue if it's something the character would say. But in narrative, it's wrong.

For example, in my regional dialect people say things like "the car needs washed." It's colloquial and fine in dialogue, but grammatically it's incorrect. The correct sentence is "the car needs to be washed."

There's nothing at all wrong with the grammar in "the car needs washed."

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
I love stirring up trouble!

Seems like some people like the "for", others don't. Interesting. I don't think there is grammatical reason of any type for the "for," except that it's what we're used to. It either sounds smoother or it doesn't to your ears.

After extensive review (reading it a million times), I like the sentence better w/o the "for." But I initially wrote it with the "for," so that must have come more naturally.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not everything needs a grammatical reason. It's the flow of the sentence, the rhythm, that matters.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ah!

I still think it's a US/Commonwealth thing as we might say:

The parcel is meant for you.

But in the OP's original sentence we would leave out the for as unnecessary.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing at all wrong with the grammar in "the car needs washed."
Wow, really? It sounds totally wrong to me. I don't know the technical grammatical terms for why it's wrong (someone else might). The two options for the sentence are: "The car needs to be washed" and "The car needs washing" (not washed).

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Wow, really? It sounds totally wrong to me. I don't know the technical grammatical terms for why it's wrong (someone else might). The two options for the sentence are: "The car needs to be washed" and "The car needs washing" (not washed).

Standard English does not allow for two consecutive conjugated verbs. The sentence is absolutely wrong as far as standard English goes.

If it's being used as dialect, where standard English rules don't have to be applied, it's fine to use.

It is not, however, correct.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Standard English does not allow for two consecutive conjugated verbs. The sentence is absolutely wrong as far as standard English goes.

If it's being used as dialect, where standard English rules don't have to be applied, it's fine to use.

It is not, however, correct.
Yeah, that's the one. Thanks, Terie! :)

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, it doesn't matter if some people talk that way or some don't, what matters is your character's voice and how he would say it. I'd probably go with She obviously wanted us to find it- because it's sticking with the MC's POV and adding the adverb shows the MC's opinion/judgment because told from the first person POV, he doesn't really know what's in her mind.