Is anyone else vaguely creeped out by this? (President's Day trivia)

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
So, since it's apparently "President's Day" today, I happened upon a piece of trivia that I hadn't previously been aware of.

John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Monroe all died on the same day of the year. And not just any day of the year - they all died on July 4. Adams and Jefferson died on the exact same day in 1826, the fiftieth anniversary of July 4, 1776. James Monroe followed five years later.

So, in honor of President's Day, what other obscure, bizarre, or otherwise interesting trivia can other AWers tell us about past U.S. presidents?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jefferson and Adams dying on the same day is fairly famous.

Supposedly Adams said something like: "At least Jefferson still lives" on his deathbed.

For others of this type, there's that famous list of similarities between Kennedy and Lincoln (it's not really as odd as it makes it seem, but it's fun to read if you've never seen it).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alleycat...I thought of that Lincoln Kennedy thing as soon as I read this post.

But then I looked it up on Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/lincoln-kennedy.asp

and that was a bummer.
Well, the real answer is if you look at all the dates and details about two people's lives (there might be several thousand), you are bound to find a handful that are the same.

Take you and me:

You are mean.
I am mean.

You're a member of AW.
I'm a member of AW.

You have dark hair.
I have dark hair.

You're cute.
I'm . . . okay, never mind.

Last edited:

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Here's one that I think is pretty cool...

President John Tyler has a grandson who is still alive.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Then there was President Ford who said "I'm a Ford, but I'm not a Lincoln..." Spooky!

Okay, maybe not...:D

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
President's Day Prayer

Great Leader, who art in Washington,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy empire come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in the Oval Office.
Fair use compels me to send you to the link above for the rest. :)

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
John Quincy Adams returned to sit in congress after being president. At that time he was the only living member of congress to have witnessed the Battle of Bunker Hill. His is the first known photograph of a living president.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Taft was the only person to serve in congress, the white house, and the supreme court.

Eh. If he'd done all three at the same time, then I'd be impressed.

Just kidding. That's actually really interesting. :)

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Taft was so fat (How fat was he? LOL) that he got stuck in the White House bathtub and had to be lifted out. An oversized tub was later installed to accommodate his bulk.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I also once read that President Garfield could write in Greek in one hand, and in Latin with the other, simultaneously. He was considered to be one of the most intellectually gifted Presidents.

No wonder they shot him.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Garfield was a great loss to our nation. By all accounts he was a highly gifted man, and given the succession that followed Lincoln's assassination, the nation was in dire need of such a person. He was shot less than a year into his term by a deluded numbskull who had the idea that he had been cheated out of an appointive position by Garfield.

Garfield's successor was Chester Arthur, a machine politico from New York City who had a history of scandal behind him, yet one more testimony to the dumbass system we have for essentially appointing vice-presidents. The good news is that Arthur actually turned out to be a better President than anyone expected, with some significant accomplishments in finishing out that single term. In that history, he resembles Harry Truman.

But the next really talented and good President the U.S. had didn't come along for another two decades: Teddy Roosevelt, who ironically also succeeded to the Presidency via assassination.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Alleycat...I thought of that Lincoln Kennedy thing as soon as I read this post.

But then I looked it up on Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/lincoln-kennedy.asp

and that was a bummer.

I think that Snopes piece is trying waaaay to hard to "disprove" the coincidences/similarities. Look at the one about both being succeeded by veeps named Johnson. The "explanation" is stupid, imo. It IS a weird coincidence. The piece makes it sound like everyone and their brother was named Johnson. Yet, we've had exactly two--these two--Presidents named Johnson and both took office after an assassination. Come on. That's just weird.

Means nothing else of course. But supposing that this is somehow not unusual--as the Snopes piece tries to do--is just silly, imo.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I think that Snopes piece is trying waaaay to hard to "disprove" the coincidences/similarities. Look at the one about both being succeeded by veeps named Johnson. The "explanation" is stupid, imo. It IS a weird coincidence. The piece makes it sound like everyone and their brother was named Johnson. Yet, we've had exactly two--these two--Presidents named Johnson and both took office after an assassination. Come on. That's just weird.

Well, Johnson is the second-most common surname in the U.S., exceeded only by Smith. The two Johnsons are also the only two Presidents sharing a surname who weren't related.

So you think somehow a cosmic force or something was involved?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, Johnson is the second-most common surname in the U.S., exceeded only by Smith. The two Johnsons are also the only two Presidents sharing a surname who weren't related.

So you think somehow a cosmic force or something was involved?

No, I think it's a weird little coincidence.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As do I. As does Snopes.
Snopes--well, the person that wrote that piece, anyway--seemed to think an extended explanation was needed for that, as if it was an expected thing somehow, that it wasn't even a "coincidence." Read it again.

That strikes me--again--as trying to hard. That's all.

And again, it means nothing, it's proof of nothing. Just trivia. But I do realize the danger of trivia, so I understand why you're so upset...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Given their take on Lincoln (and Kennedy) in that piece, I'm surprised anybody's giving Snopes the time of day. :D

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
Er...George W Bush is related to Hugh Hefner...and President Obama.