Should 'internet' begin with a capital letter?

DannySherbet

Wellversed in procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Simple question: should the word 'internet' begin with a capital letter?

I've seen it with and without. What's the verdict?

My personal thought is no, and for two reasons: "Internet", for me, is no more of a proper noun than "world" or "sky", and too many capital letters interrupt the flow of a sentence.

Danny.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you Danny. It's like saying the library, you don't capitalize the L. The word internet isn't a company or a trademark.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are internets, and there is the Internet.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, only inventions by Al Gore are capitalized. The internet is no longer one of them.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
There is no right answer. Some publishers do, some publishers don't.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Grammar Girl states it is Internet.

Reaction score
Jesus, how behind the times are yous guys? We call it the 'tubes these days.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's the great thing about living languages, change.

At one time, Internet was a proper noun. But things shift and change, with the tendency to become less formal with extensive usage--especially if an owner is not zealously protecting the proper-noun status as a trademark.

I more often see "internet" for at least the last three or four years, quite possibly longer.

Maryn, not much caring how various authorities cap it or not

Deleted member 42

Internet still is a proper noun, as is World Wide Web.

Chicago Manual, APA, and MLA all capitalize it.

So do dictionaries.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
House styles vary on this, as do style manuals. Many (in addition to those cited by Medievalist, include the New York Times stylebook) insist on capitalization; some specify the reverse.

The key thing is to be consistent about whatever you choose. Capital-I "Internet" is probably the safer choice, because it's the more conservative.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
This is a dictionary moment. All I've checked say Big First Letter. So it's a Big First Letter for me.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good point, Empress. Apparently the owner of the local newspaper (which also owns around a hundred other papers) goes for lower-case "i," which explains why that seemed normal usage to me. But I agree, consistency and conservatism in submitted manuscripts are both good ideas.

Although it rarely comes up in my writing.

Maryn, a Gannett reader

Deleted member 42

I note that all the computer book publishers I work for use I in Internet, W for World Wide Web, and Website--but they are all over the map on email/e-mail, Website/Web site.

I have a speshul cheat sheet so I can easily remember which is which.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you Danny. It's like saying the library, you don't capitalize the L. The word internet isn't a company or a trademark.
But there's more than one building called "the library" and there's no specific main one that everyone calls the Library. There's the Library of Congress, but you don't just call it the Library.
There are internets, and there is the Internet.
"Those" are probably "intranets."

It's The Internet because there's exactly one and that's its name, like the Earth, the Moon, and the Sun. Actually, there have been more moons known to humanity since Galileo pointed a telescope at Jupiter, but the Moon still refers to the same old one it always has.

I note that all the computer book publishers I work for use I in Internet, W for World Wide Web, and Website--but they are all over the map on email/e-mail, Website/Web site.

I have a speshul cheat sheet so I can easily remember which is which.
That all makes sense except I don't know why website would be capitalized. It seems like everyone has one thesedays.

No wait, I'm thinking of a Facebook page that everyone has thesedays. Whatever.

IIRC (it's been so long) it was originally e-mail, but I just write email nowadays. It's such a common word that the dash is so Last Millenium. Off-topic, but there was some article about email being a dying medium nowadays with so many people going to Twitter, Facebook and all that other crap social media.

At least there are a few Usenet newsgroups still in use...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think the internet would be fine with either. It doesn't much care about these things.

There are a ton of Usenet groups still going. You hear more about torrent sites, but Usenet is the real underground pirating scene.

Deleted member 42

IIRC (it's been so long) it was originally e-mail, but I just write email nowadays. It's such a common word that the dash is so Last Millenium. Off-topic, but there was some article about email being a dying medium nowadays with so many people going to Twitter, Facebook and all that other crap social media.

Yeah, that's bull shit. Really. What we are seeing though is an interesting priority-of-information thing. There's been an increase in legit email--but it's more directed than pre-twitter etc.

Don't tell anyone--UseNet is alive and well in terms of binaries, and all those Google Groups are running on NNTP servers.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's The Internet because there's exactly one and that's its name, like the Earth, the Moon, and the Sun.

It can also be said to be "the internet" for the same reasons as cited above.

Although my Webster says earth is "often" spelled with a capital E (the same with moon [often M-] and sun [often S-]) the examples in every instance of earth, moon, and sun are such: "the celestial body that revolves around the earth" and "accompanies the earth in its yearly revolution about the sun."

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
Conversely, there are billions of suns and moons. Why are ours so special?

Becausethey directly influence and affect our lives. There are billions and trillions of suns. But our Sun is the only truly important one to us. This is probably because humans are selfish by nature, so we want to make everything that's "ours" to seem more important than any other (assuming there are alien races.

Assuming the Andromeda galaxy's suns are large and strong enough to go supernova (unlike ours, which cannot), and assuming their heat and light could reach us near immediately, all of them going supernova may affect us on Earth. Of course, realistically, the stars are so far away that what we see in the sky is thousands of years old; many stars have died and been born, and simply the light has yet to reach us.

But of course, to emphasize, if our Sun were to explode, it would reach as far as Mars and incinerate everything between. And, of course, with the flux change of gravitational force, the other planets would likely not be able to stay in the same orbit.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Simple question: should the word 'internet' begin with a capital letter?

I've seen it with and without. What's the verdict?

My personal thought is no, and for two reasons: "Internet", for me, is no more of a proper noun than "world" or "sky", and too many capital letters interrupt the flow of a sentence.

Danny.

Does the style guide you're using say it's a proper noun?

This isn't really a grammar issue; different sources are going to say different things, here.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed that today's paper contained internet capitalized twice and lower-cased twice. The caps were in syndicated columns.

Maryn, who doesn't capitalize the moon or the sun, either