Isolated literary writer introduces self after two years

SaraFMC

Persisting.
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like I joined in 2008! Well, here I am now, hello.

I'm working in isolation. But I don't have a lot of time to write, let alone hang out online, so I've been extremely slow to get involved online. But, I need other writers to talk to, the two I know well are too close to be very objective. I'm married to a theoretical particle physicist, and we are sympathetic to each other, but there's a real limit to how much shop we can talk.

I tried to stop writing for many many years, and couldn't. So I have been trying to take it seriously for about three years now. I write literary fiction. I like clear prose and plots, but am interested in form and theory too.

I have written a very bad novel (bad from a plot perspective, apparently the prose and characters were respectable), some short stories, and an essay. I'm working on another novel (YA, I guess, given the ages of the main characters), and sending out the short pieces. I've started to get personal rejection notes from literary journals along the lines of "we love this but it doesn't quite match our needs" or "our readers complimented your prose" or "I loved this, but my editor won't publish it." I think this is progress. But I'm all alone, not sure what I need to work on most, and dying for feedback. (I can give it as well.)

I'm self-employed these days. I index books and copyedit ESL scholarly authors for money - it's a nice counterpoint to writing fiction.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

matwilson

Banned
Reaction score
Website
surftofind.com
Well, Sarah, how would you like to edit my book, 'Preserving the Legacy'.

I can sure use somebody with your talent.

shelleykoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.DarkWrites.com
Welcome Sara! I look forward to reading some of your YA work. Conrgats on the letters you have revived back from publishers - sounds weird since you say they were all "nos" but the fact that they offered kind words and encouragement is HUGE! That's almost as good as a yes!

triptych

it just so happens that I know a short cut
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you'd really benefit from reading this blog about "self publishing" http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/ -- check out some of the guest post from folks who have been doing similar work. Whatever you do, don't get discouraged!

SaraFMC

Persisting.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the welcomes!

I don't edit fiction, but it's not hard to find someone who does if you can pay, I'd be happy to point you in the right directions.

I'm not discouraged in any significant way - if I could quit, I would have at some point in the last 20+ years. I just need some company.

krissybrady

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.krissybrady.com
Welcome to the forum! If there is any help that you need with improving your writing, or looking to expand what you are already working on, I know you'll find all of the answers that you need here. This forum is filled with amazing writers who inspire me regularly. Enjoy your stay! :)

JudyS

Nonfiction Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Booktown/Treetown, USA (AKA Ann Arbor, MI)
I'm working in isolation. But I don't have a lot of time to write, let alone hang out online, so I've been extremely slow to get involved online. But, I need other writers to talk to, the two I know well are too close to be very objective. I'm married to a theoretical particle physicist, and we are sympathetic to each other, but there's a real limit to how much shop we can talk....

Hi! Oh boy, can I relate to this! I write nonfiction, but otherwise, our circumstances are similar. (I am married to an electrical engineer who seems to talk in circuit diagrams.)

I'm self-employed these days. I index books and copyedit ESL scholarly authors for money - it's a nice counterpoint to writing fiction.
My sister is an indexer, and I'm thinking of someday maybe becoming an indexer myself. Are you a member of the index-L mailing list or the American Society of Indexers? I know you're looking to talk to writers, not indexers, but index-L and ASI are great resources for indexers.

Katze_E

The Imperial
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Sara! I love it here and I'm sure you'll like it too. There's always plenty to talk, from serious stuff to more relaxed talk. I too registered a lot of time ago and just started participating recently. But I'm glad I did it.