Business bans TSA agents

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Admittedly, it's not Tahrir Square or elsewhere in the middle east, but it's interesting nonetheless.
KC McLawson works for a cafe near Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, and since the body-scan and patdown controversy last November, her boss has taken extraordinary measures to ensure the TSA knows of his displeasure.

“We have posted signs on our doors basically saying that they aren’t allowed to come into our business,” she says. “We have the right to refuse service to anyone.”
I haven't found much else on this being reported yet. Has anybody else?

How long before the city inspectors find reason to shut this place down?

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
YES!! American courage and moral conviction practiced. These people have my full support. They're American heroes!!

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, as much as I'm a critic of the TSA, I'm not really a big fan of this response.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An asshole. Yep.

Didn't we have a thread on here about some jerk of a doctor with a sign saying he wouldn't treat people who voted for Obama? This is no better, imo.

LOL!! As if there's a remote comparison. Heh, have at it. May they x-ray to your heart's content, just not my family. You go ahead, though. . . .

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
An asshole. Yep.

Didn't we have a thread on here about some jerk of a doctor with a sign saying he wouldn't treat people who voted for Obama? This is no better, imo.

I agree, a totally petty thing to do.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, a totally petty thing to do.

As far as I can tell, there are certain people in this world that believe that any amount of protest when it comes to authority is "petty." Of course, I think it's a pity, but then, to each his own. . . .

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's the difference, then?

How would you have people protest a complete denial/denigration of their constitutional rights, Michael?? These people are doing it peacefully, but they are absolutely right in their position. So of course, they're subject to ridicule.

You see, in twenty years from now, when life is very different, and people in this country can look back and say one of two things: "my parents should've stopped it then," OR "thank God there were people with the courage to keep us a free country," I'd like to be within the latter. People can criticize ad nauseum about anything that isn't that status quo or counter to blind obedience. That's easy. The hard job is taking a stand. That's very much the hard job. And those that don't may live a lot longer - no scrutiny, no sweat - but it's not them that counts. It's their legacy, and their legacy won't be worth much in terms of that darn near sacred word: freedom. . . .

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
That doesn't really answer my question, as far as I can tell.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if the guy has so much business that he thinks he can turn some of it away, that's his choice. But, he's also refusing on behalf of the people who work for him.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if the guy has so much business that he thinks he can turn some of it away, that's his choice. . . .

So you think it's all about money, Tiger??

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Then I can't help you. Search your soul I guess. . . .

You said there's not even a remote comparison between this and the doctor who shunned Obama voters. I asked what the difference is between the two. I'm guessing you had something in mind. I just wanted to know what that is.

Searching my soul might be one way to do it, but I suspect you could just tell me, if you wanted to.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
How would you have people protest a complete denial/denigration of their constitutional rights, Michael?? These people are doing it peacefully, but they are absolutely right in their position. So of course, they're subject to ridicule.

You see, in twenty years from now, when life is very different, and people in this country can look back and say one of two things: "my parents should've stopped it then," OR "thank God there were people with the courage to keep us a free country," I'd like to be within the latter. People can criticize ad nauseum about anything that isn't that status quo or counter to blind obedience. That's easy. The hard job is taking a stand. That's very much the hard job. And those that don't may live a lot longer - no scrutiny, no sweat - but it's not them that counts. It's their legacy, and their legacy won't be worth much in terms of that darn near sacred word: freedom. . . .
TSA agents don't set policy. Is the owner also refusing to serve all Congressmen and the President? And what about all Federal Judges? They're permitting it, too. For that matter, so are all local and state officials. And everyone working for airlines. And everyone that willing gets on an airline.

This isn't a protest. It's an idiotic political statement being made by an asshole and targeting people who are really on the bottom rung of the power structure, who lack any authority. Imo.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, there are certain people in this world that believe that any amount of protest when it comes to authority is "petty." Of course, I think it's a pity, but then, to each his own. . . .

It's petty to not sell meals to people just because they happen to work for an organization whose policies you disagree with. The people he's targeting are not making those policies.

He should find a more meaningful way to protest, if it means that much to him.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
It's petty to not sell meals to people just because they happen to work for an organization whose policies you disagree with. The people he's targeting are not making those policies.

I think the point about the agents not having authority to change the policies is of limited relevance, and it's not always wrong or petty to do this kind of thing.

Maybe it's wrong most of the time, but in theory it would depend on the situation, at least to me.

The example I thought of would be if, say, you had a human trafficking ring, and a guy you knew was working for the ring showed up at your business. And this was a guy who lacked authority within the ring. I'd probably still consider refusing to do business with that person.

It's just that I don't consider TSA agents to all be inhuman monsters deserving of being treated in such a way.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You said there's not even a remote comparison between this and the doctor who shunned Obama voters. I asked what the difference is between the two. I'm guessing you had something in mind. I just wanted to know what that is.

Searching my soul might be one way to do it, but I suspect you could just tell me, if you wanted to.

Oh. O.K. I get ya.

A doctor has a moral obligation to treat all.
Now, he may not take the Hippocratic oath, but regardless, it's a universally recognized moral obligation - I don't care where he is or what he is in terms of religion - to heal. If he does not transcend his own personal benefit and his own ideology, he is not worthy of the gift, the education and respect he has been given. A doctor deals in health, in matters of life. It's an entirely different matter than that of a "pizza" not served or served, as the case may be. . . .

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

He should find a more meaningful way to protest, if it means that much to him.

What do you suggest?? Tell me what you would have them do in lieu of their "petty" policy . . . .

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TSA agents don't set policy. Is the owner also refusing to serve all Congressmen and the President? And what about all Federal Judges? They're permitting it, too. For that matter, so are all local and state officials. And everyone working for airlines. And everyone that willing gets on an airline.

First of all, you're wrong. Tolerating it is not the same as setting policy or benefiting from it. You're flat out wrong on that, Rob. Very few pilots or airline attendants were if favor of it, nor did they SET policy, and indeed, I doubt Obama would be invited to sit at that particular establishment, nor would the judges that support such indecent policies. . .

This isn't a protest. It's an idiotic political statement being made by an asshole and targeting people who are really on the bottom rung of the power structure, who lack any authority. Imo.
That's your opinion, but then, anything that counters authority and willing submission is easily dismissed as idiotic. History is littered with "assholes" that in retrospect, we are extremely grateful for, hence- in retrospect - the substitute title: "heroes". . . .

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
What do you suggest?? Tell me what you would have them do in lieu of their "petty" policy . . . .

How about some good, old fashioned, peaceful civil disobedience? Instead of an act of discrimination? All his idiotic policy is going to do is give him a little short-term publicity and drive the lunch business of the TSA agents to his competitors. It's not like the TSA agents can't do without his cafe. They probably wouldn't eat there now if he gave them free lunches, anyway.

If he's lucky, he might make up some of that business in extra patronage from people who agree with his TSA-hatred. If he's lucky.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
How about some good, old fashioned, peaceful civil disobedience? Instead of an act of discrimination? All his idiotic policy is going to do is give him a little short-term publicity and drive the lunch business of the TSA agents to his competitors. It's not like the TSA agents can't do without his cafe. They probably wouldn't eat there now if he gave them free lunches, anyway.

If he's lucky, he might make up some of that business in extra patronage from people who agree with his TSA-hatred. If he's lucky.

This form of protest, whatever I think of it, fits the definitions of both civil and peaceful.

While this is an act of discrimination, it's also not really comparable to, say, the discrimination against McCain voters or black poeple - neither can really change who they are, inside or out.

If enough places start telling TSA agents to fuck off, well, the TSA agents don't have to be TSA agents--and the TSA doesn't have to abuse its power at every given opportunity. And before it comes up that all TSA agents aren't people with big fish, small bowl complexes, I'd like to point at the word agent. You can be the nicest guy on earth, but if you're the agent of someone else, you act in the interest of that other person's policies.

And these policies are what the cafe owner is protesting. So naturally, the agents of same aren't welcome.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Let me get this straight - it's perfectly okay to boycott businesses that do things you don't like, thus possibly causing damage to the employees on the low rungs, but it's not okay for this guy to 'boycott' people who have no problem carrying out the TSA crap?

The guy is doing something a lot of Americans don't have the guts to do. You may think his methods are off, but at least respect the fact that he's no longer part of the flock...

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

TSA agents actually have quite a bit of authority, if you're unfortunate enough to be traveling.

As you pointed out, they're at the bottom of a hierarchy -- but the lowest station at the hierarchy gets to request to essentially look at you naked and rifle through your possession on a whim.

I don't think it's the best way to protest against the TSA. But TSA agents aren't exactly a group of abused homebodies being trampled underfoot by the oh-so-mean customers.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
people who have no problem carrying out the TSA crap?

I think it's also important to point out that TSA agents with anything resembling a moral compass have had ample opportunity to find work they can stomach. Those remaining would, logically, either be seriously considering new work because they have a moral issue with what they do... or they don't have a moral issue with what they do, in which case, I have absolutely no capacity to pity them under any circumstance.