sustainable level...

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
About one-sixth of the bombs used by insurgents in January ended up wounding or killing troops compared with the one-quarter of such bombs that caused casualties in August, according to figures from the Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization, the Pentagon's agency for combating makeshift bombs.

Fantastic. I smiled. Then I read this...

"The challenge is to keep the American casualty rate at a sustainable level for the next several years that we'll need to get the Afghan army trained to take over security."

... and I wanted to cry.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/afghanistan/2011-02-17-1AIED17_ST_N.htm

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I thought we'd gotten past the idea of using soldiers merely as sacrificial pawns--thought that was why we used a professional army and not an unorganized mob wielding hand grenades and faulty equipment.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
A sustainable level of casualties, for me, would be zero.

That's not going to happen soon enough with these assholes in office.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
It's like they're looking at a big map with toy soldiers on it. Tip over twelve and we can still win. O' Boy.

They aren't toys. I get messages at least once a week from wives and mothers who want help. They aren't toys.

The Old Donkeys are playing again.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
My wife's currently at Walter Reed, trying to set one of those toys on his feet again. We were so lucky that her son has returned in one piece, with only broken bones and physical and mental trauma to contend with; yet even that has disrupted the lives of so many people, and touched the lives of dozens more.

But gee, they got bumped to the head of the White House tour line; they didn't have to wait two weeks like the little people do. AAMOF, they should be there as I write this. Maybe Obama will even buy him a beer.

Reaction score
The military has "shown this is a problem that can be managed," said John Pike, director of Globalsecurity.org, a public policy organization that focuses on defense issues. "The challenge is to keep the American casualty rate at a sustainable level for the next several years that we'll need to get the Afghan army trained to take over security."

It wasn't a general or politician who said this. It was some idiot at a "public policy organization" whatever the hell that means.

Doesn't mean it's not true, but still.

If the defense secretary, Petraus, etc said it, it would be a lot more troubling.

Horrible thing to say though.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The US' occupation of Iraq and the unrelenting defense of Afghanistan's Karzai - a man so corrupt that he makes Mubarak look like Bob Newhart - is never going to end until Americans start screaming. It's going to take marches; it's going to take the US majority to recognize that these conflicts are a betrayal of American citizens. The US is killing its soldiers vis a vis the Taliban, while Karzai AND the US negotiate with the same monsters. Time to go, but it's not going to happen until Americans make it happen. . . .

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
Our leaders, are in truth, followers. They follow the polls. They follow the trends. They follow the money. America is without leadership, and it has nothing to do with this party or that party, it has to do with a complete lack of ability and resolve. Politicians are spineless. Leaders are an entirely different breed.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Sustainable level.....yeah right. Let's ask the spouses, parents, and children of the dead if their loved one counted...

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
My wife's currently at Walter Reed, trying to set one of those toys on his feet again. We were so lucky that her son has returned in one piece, with only broken bones and physical and mental trauma to contend with; yet even that has disrupted the lives of so many people, and touched the lives of dozens more.

I wish him the best, Don, and a very uneventful recovery. Mine is broken beyond repair. Sustainable levels my ass.

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
Sustainable level.....yeah right. Let's ask the spouses, parents, and children of the dead if their loved one counted...

Those in charge of the war, talk about sustainable levels of casualties, diminishing the humanity and individuality of those who are serving. It's disturbing, but I guess it feeds into the militaristic notion that whilst serving you are not an individual. Hell, they do everything they can to break you of a singular mentality. That said, those opposed to the war are quick to tell those who have lost somebody that their loved one, "Died for nothing." There is something sick, and utterly cold where it concerns ideology that is absolute, regardless of your "side".

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
To people coordinating this fight, soldiers are, and need to be, an abstract.

This doesn't mean the person coordinating it doesn't care--it means he or she deals with an abstract at work so he or she can think clearly.