Do you follow the happenings in your legislature?

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Several years ago, a bill was introduced at Wyoming's legislature that angered me so much I got involved: emailing and calling my opinion. I found the list of bills and found several that interested me (many didn't as they were very technical and over my head).

Since then, with every session I review the bills, keep a list of those that interest me, and follow them through the process. If I'm adamant enough, I shoot off emails or use the online or phone hotlines. Right now I'm streaming the live audio from the Senate as they discuss HB74, Validity of Marriage ("a trainwreck" one senator called it). Fascinating stuff.

Does anyone follow their state's legislature sessions? What do you learn from the experience?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here, the Tennessee Legislature is broadcast on a second channel of the local PBS station. I sometimes watch it. This week one of the main items was a bill that would affect the teachers union in the state; of course, it's been lively. The teachers union is vehemently opposed to any such change ("Change the tenure policy? We shall use every means at our disposal to fight that."); others argue that something must be done to make the educational system better.

Of course, it's all for the children. And money.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have and I have also helped get questions on the ballot. I've always felt that if you believe in something you should stand up for it.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I have and I have also helped get questions on the ballot. I've always felt that if you believe in something you should stand up for it.

Amen. If I have a complaint/request to an elected official, they WILL know my name too. I don't believe in anonymous requests. I have support for a small issue involving liquor and catering permits that has many elected and state officials excited, so I'm hopeful it'll pass (it won't be in the legislative bills until next session though). Cool and exciting stuff to be involved.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I track the municipal funding allocations in the provincial governments - provinces don't have the ability to make laws regarding too many rights so there often isn't much to be discussed. Right now there is a Bill 36, the Land Stewardship Act that's being touted around by the Sustainable Resources Minister because of the changes made to the appeal process on utility lines or something. Haven't followed that much.