Entertainment technology caucus in U.S. Congress

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
(Thought about putting this in the Games section, but since it's the "Entertainment technology" caucus, it seemed like it's scope would include more than just video games.)
(Some info come from an e-mail I got from VGVN, so it won't be found in the linked article, I can link to a picture of the e-mail, or just copy/paste the whole thing here, not sure what I should do there.)
Link to VGVN.

The bipartisan caucus, led by U.S. Representatives Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Kevin Brady, will promote the economic, educational and social benefits of video games.
With this caucus, we can help people recognize how much computer and video games contribute to the American economy: $24 billion in sales in 2010, and more than 120,000 Americans in high-paying, creative jobs in at least 34 states.

Moreover, the innovation within computer and video games drives innovation elsewhere, creating jobs and new industries. Today, computer and video games help returning soldiers in rehabilitation programs, keep seniors active later in life, and assist schools in educating our children.
According to my count the caucus currently has forty representatives on board.

Seems all good to me, or at least nothing bad (yet).

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
It will be a sign of the gaming industry's maturity when the companies are regularly contributing to political campaigns.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, it's not really mature until it's subsidized and protected from upstarts trying to horn in on the action with innovative new ideas.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, it's not really mature until it's subsidized and protected from upstarts trying to horn in on the action with innovative new ideas.

That has happened, but the subsidies in my neighborhood are going to the innovative gaming company start ups.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
They need a caucus for this?

It may have formed partially because of Schwarzenegger v. EMA/ESA, that's the only thing that really comes to mind that may have motivated this at a political level. Or maybe all the members like games and other technology mediums.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
It's fair for the game industry to want the same self-directed regulation that movies and music generally enjoy. However, certain anti-game activists have been working to place unusual restrictions on this particular form of entertainment. Some such activists have been shown as the fools they are, but others still have influence, and the sentiment is still alive and well.