My Least Favorite Genre: Covers & Queries

ITFC_Rob

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm sending out some new submissions, and it's time once again to write my least favorite piece: the cover letter. Yes, I know they're necessary. Yes, I know the better I get at them, the more I'll sell. It's still the kind of writing in which I have the least confidence.

My question to you all is: where can I find resources that will improve my ability to write good covers and queries? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm sending out some new submissions, and it's time once again to write my least favorite piece: the cover letter. Yes, I know they're necessary. Yes, I know the better I get at them, the more I'll sell. It's still the kind of writing in which I have the least confidence.

My question to you all is: where can I find resources that will improve my ability to write good covers and queries? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

In the Share Your Work forum (password Vista) look for Query Letter Hell. You won't be allowed to post a query for critique until you have at least 50 posts, but there are a number of threads on writing queries and synopses, and there are many threads of other peoples' queries you can read for edification, as well.

I also think the following blogs have some good query critiques/advice:
queryshark
Nathan Bransford
Jodi Meadows Query project posts

~suki