The assault of Lara Logan [title edited for accuracy]

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cbs-news-lara-logan-expected-100276

This case seems to be ignored to a degree that is disturbing to me. If you haven't heard, The CBS reporter was forcibly separated from her reporting crew and sexually assaulted by an unknown number of Egyptians during the celebrations last week.

I've heard the gambit: "she deserved it" "they're animals" "another high point for Islam" "women should know their place",,,,, etc etc...

My first reaction:

A message.... planned and sent... (para): No matter what,,,, women are subservient in our country and regardless of a women's position in the world, you are at our mercy....

It's disturbing on so many levels... At last word she is doing well and to be released from the hospital.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
If the new Egyptian government wants to be on friendly terms with the USA, then they need to find the rapists and prosecute them. If they look the other way, then we should cut Egypt off completely. There should be no compromise by Obama or Clinton on this issue.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the reactions have been downright bizarre... it's really disgraceful.

T. I feel exactly the same way... I don't understand the joy of the moment being translated into a brutal attack upon a women who has helped your cause with her reporting of the events.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don, I really, really hate to be an asshole here, but um, she wasn't raped. She was sexually assaulted. Neither is even REMOTELY okay, but there is a difference.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
One more thing, if she had been beaten.... I could almost say,,, okay they don't want you here like A.C from CNN.. But the sexual assault was a message to women of the world, and I think absent of a strong egyptian response, it should be condemned in every way possible.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Don, I really, really hate to be an asshole here, but um, she wasn't raped. She was sexually assaulted. Neither is even REMOTELY okay, but there is a difference.

I didn't know there was difference, but semantics aside, I read in several other articles that she was assaulted in the most "horrible ways"... Did I misunderstand those reports to mean something more horrible than rape??

You can change the title to "The sexual assault" if you think it's more appropriate. I don't have a problem with that.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that we have sufficient details to say, one way or the other.

This
is what I was going off of, Rob, just for the record.

The separation and assault lasted between 20 and 30 minutes, according to the Wall Street Journal, which cited a person familiar with the matter. The source added that it was "not a rape."

With that said, a sexual assault and beating so severe as to land you in the hospital is nothing to sneer at. It's fucking horrible. But I'd rather be precise. If other info comes in, I'll retract. I rather hope to not be contradicted, however.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know there was difference, but semantics aside, I read in several other articles that she was assaulted in the most "horrible ways"... Did I misunderstand those reports to mean something more horrible than rape??

You can change the title to "The sexual assault" if you think it's more appropriate. I don't have a problem with that.

Almost every article reports it as a sexual assault, rather than rape. And regardless, it was horrible, whether she was (forgive me) penetrated or not. I'm not attempting to place a value judgment, here, either. Violation is violation. But there is a difference between the acts.

Last edited:

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com

I do not have the details, but it might be that she was "merely" groped and fondled, but penetration didn't occur.

But the news reports that the assualt itself lasted between 20 and 30 minutes. Even 3 minutes would be a gruelling marathon of self-preservation for most women while 20 to 30 would be a dozen lifetimes.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
I think we are all on the same page with this, I would prefer to be accurate as well...

There is no question as to the "act" being despicable... Like I said earlier, I question the motive, and quite frankly the lack of outrage from the Obama administration, which I Need to hear some swift and hard ass condemnation.. Not just obligatory slap on the wrists.....

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do not have the details, but it might be that she was "merely" groped and fondled, but penetration didn't occur.

But the news reports that the assualt itself lasted between 20 and 30 minutes. Even 3 minutes would be a gruelling marathon of self-preservation for most women while 20 to 30 would be a dozen lifetimes.

And by a gang of people, too. Beaten on top of it, as if that wasn't enough. :(

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Her assault was appalling and a disgrace.

Cheers must be given to the Egyptian women and and soldiers who came to her rescue.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Her assault was appalling and a disgrace.

Cheers must be given to the Egyptian women and and soldiers who came to her rescue.

My first thought was that it was a group of Mubarak supporters who were taking revenge on the "foreign media" who helped bring him down.

I'm still thinking that.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
As sickening as this reaction is, I no longer find it surprising. There're still people in this country who blame children for being molested, and plenty of folks whose hatred of Nancy Pelosi began with "She doesn't know her place" (and said as much).

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I think people are so EFFING desensitized to exactly how horrible sexual assault of any kind is.

This is a very sad story.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Some certainly do seem to think she "had it coming," or at least doesn't deserve any sympathy:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205025
Some of the reactions have been downright bizarre... it's really disgraceful.

People who are raped never get sympathy or if only a little. If you follow these kind of stories there's always the shaming that comes with it, it somehow always ends up being the victims fault to the rape apologists. It's really warped but I feel quite sad in that I don't feel phased by these comments except thinking "Same old, same old" towards them.

I don't know how the U.S. law defines sexual assault but rape falls under sexual assault in the UK as far as I know. It's a broad term and lawyers use it when they want to prosecute for multiple assaults.

Also it is a biiiig stretch to assume that all Egyptians condone this. I still this it was the pro-muburak supporters. It's like using that recent UK soldier who killed and raped that Iraqi girl as example of what the whole of the army is like. There are depraved and utterly evil people in all societies.

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People who are raped never get sympathy or if only a little. If you follow these kind of stories there's always the shaming that comes with it, it somehow always ends up being the victims fault to the rape apologists. It's really warped but I feel quite sad in that I don't feel phased by these comments except thinking "Same old, same old" towards them.

I don't know how the U.S. law defines sexual assault but rape falls under sexual assault in the UK as far as I know. It's a broad term and lawyers use it when they want to prosecute for multiple assaults.

And as Robovowels pointed out to me in reps, there could be privacy issues at work, as well. So I've left Don's title alone -- we just don't know exactly what happened. Besides, it's still a horrific thing no matter what, so at least we can all agree on that much.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
People who are raped never get sympathy or if only a little. If you follow these kind of stories there's always the shaming that comes with it, it somehow always ends up being the victims fault to the rape apologists.

I think people have become desensitized to the apologists, but that doesn't make the apologists any less evil. Unfortunately I don't see any way of making them all go away. It's just a sad fact of life that a (hopefully vanishingly small) minority of people will have the wrong reaction to horrifying events.