Before SkyNet becomes self aware, it must win at Jeopardy

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why are some humans intent on making us obsolete?

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The hell--? How could the computer have missed Final Jeopardy today the way it did? How? Category: US Cities. Answer, and I quote: "Toronto??????"

Lolwut? Suddenly, I'm a lot less afraid of the machine uprising.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Title of this thread = My thoughts exactly as I watched Jeopardy last night.

(And I also sat there missing my now-deceased mom because she was a contestant on Jeopardy herself years ago. She would have been thrilled to have seen the day when the USS Enterprise's shipboard computer --from her favorite TV show in the world-- became a reality.)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
The fact that it could answer questions it had never heard before correctly even once is significant.

Konah

Registered
Reaction score
What this machine has show is pretty remarkable, and could lead to some great inventions. At the same time, there will always be some sort of negative side effect - like folks losing out on jobs.

Then again, you can look at the fact that it answered the Final Jeopardy question with a Canadian city... after it specifically asked for a US one. It's a massive leap in terms of what computers will be able to do, but it definitely isn't there yet.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
The fact that it could answer questions it had never heard before correctly even once is significant.

My knowledge of AI is limited to movies and a few hypotehtical let's-imagine-the-future magazine articles and TV news stories.

My understanding from this limited knowledge base is that two key developments-- a) self-awareness and b) intuitive conceptualizing -- are necessary before a "mere computer" can make the leap beyond the status of "machine" and into the superior level of sentient independent thought.

And only THEN can our Computer Overlords at last take over.

Therefore, Watson is at the very least embarking upon baby steps toward b) intuitive conceptualizing. But that other all-important criteria of a) self-awareness doesn't seem to be in the cards yet. (Maybe NEXT year, eh?)

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
If it were equipped with solid state hard drives its response time would have been even faster, no?

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
The thing that's fascinating about watson, is that it will ONLY get smarter. The more data it takes in, the more examples it sees, the more it understands.

It's interesting watching Watson, especially in the NOVA documentary, where it demonstrates in a game how it can learn. After each question is answered, that information is passed to Watson in a text file. Thus, it learns from its mistakes and knowledge holes, and gradually learns the context of the questions. The only thing it can't do, is that it can't hear incorrect answers, which could help it narrow down it's confidence intervals (the example with Jennings, where it repeated his answer).

Watson is going to be HUGE for IBM, and it will pay off in droves. I can see the END of the phone menu systems that suck ass, and being able to basically ask Watson 3.0 a question, and actually have it respond to what you're saying. Hell, I could see Google getting in on the act, and having the same kind of functionality.

A tool like Watson would make the Google Books project explode into a whole new range of awesome. Given enough input, and enough interaction, in about 20 years, we might see it make a run at the Turing test.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
My knowledge of AI is limited to movies and a few hypotehtical let's-imagine-the-future magazine articles and TV news stories.

My understanding from this limited knowledge base is that two key developments-- a) self-awareness and b) intuitive conceptualizing -- are necessary before a "mere computer" can make the leap beyond the status of "machine" and into the superior level of sentient independent thought.

And only THEN can our Computer Overlords at last take over.

Therefore, Watson is at the very least embarking upon baby steps toward b) intuitive conceptualizing. But that other all-important criteria of a) self-awareness doesn't seem to be in the cards yet. (Maybe NEXT year, eh?)
I watched the Nova episode, and I have the impression it's almost a 'trick.'

There are some things it has obviously gotten wrong. Someone mentioned "Which US City" and it answered Toronto. Nova showed a question "This First Lady was born..." and it answered Richard Nixon (who was NEVER a First Lady). The thing apparently didn't have the concepts that "First Lady" is always a woman, and it's hard to imagine how it answered Toronto for a US City.

I found it interesting all the databases it has - various books, local copies of online sites including Wikipedia...

The thing that's fascinating about watson, is that it will ONLY get smarter. The more data it takes in, the more examples it sees, the more it understands.

It's interesting watching Watson, especially in the NOVA documentary, where it demonstrates in a game how it can learn. After each question is answered, that information is passed to Watson in a text file. Thus, it learns from its mistakes and knowledge holes, and gradually learns the context of the questions. The only thing it can't do, is that it can't hear incorrect answers, which could help it narrow down it's confidence intervals (the example with Jennings, where it repeated his answer).

Watson is going to be HUGE for IBM, and it will pay off in droves. I can see the END of the phone menu systems that suck ass, and being able to basically ask Watson 3.0 a question, and actually have it respond to what you're saying. Hell, I could see Google getting in on the act, and having the same kind of functionality.

A tool like Watson would make the Google Books project explode into a whole new range of awesome. Given enough input, and enough interaction, in about 20 years, we might see it make a run at the Turing test.
The Turing Test gets back to Plot Device's comment on self awareness. There's no way to determine "true" self awareness. Someday machines might be self-aware, or they just might be doing "incredible simulations" of self awareness. How can you tell the difference?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
20110114.gif

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Shit there's no 100% way to determine if we're self aware, or that we're actually experiencing "objective reality".

I think the truth is, that once an AI can self improve and pass the Turing test, that it won't matter if it's sentient in the sense that WE are. I think that's the primary problem with the thinking of a lot of people. We think of intelligence as having an innate human quality, when the truth is that we really don't know how to define it.

I'm in the camp, that we'll know it when we see it. What I see here in Watson, is potential, and the possibility of being able to untap and comprehend the bulk of human knowledge. Watson definitely doesn't qualify as "intelligent", but given time and examples, I think it can only get smarter.

We humans are currently stuck where we're at. We can teach ourselves, but we're fundamentally governed by the hardware we're born with right now. Watson isn't, and any AI of the future won't be. We may be able to someday enhance our minds, but we'll never have the potential limitless ability for growth that a purely artificial mind could have.

Right now Watson has about a million books worth of information, and has some ability to recognize the context and meaning of the written word. Five years from now, Watson might have the entire corpus of the human written word (and likely a good understanding of the spoken word), and might have accumulated enough experience to directly interpret most human languages without error. I think that's well within the range of the possible.

I don't know if the singularity as a Techno-Rapture will ever come to pass, but I think there is a real possibility that a transhuman future WILL occur. Think ghost in the shell. The determination of what constitutes being alive or sentient will be debatable.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually okay not being super-intelligent. I'd rather just be me, but hotter. I'll let the super intelligences go and turn Jupiter into a bunch of sentient matter or something.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Shit there's no 100% way to determine if we're self aware, or that we're actually experiencing "objective reality".
Sure there is. Step out in front of the next bus you see, while holding the thought in your mind that it's only a mirage. If you survive, we're self aware, and everything exists only in our minds.

Reaction score
Just watched.

Not impressed.

Don't understand the point of a human playing it. The computer is loaded with keywords and then it gets the answer. Big deal.

Cute gadget.

Nothing that much better than Speak and Spell.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched.

Not impressed.

Don't understand the point of a human playing it. The commuter is loaded with keywords and then it gets the answer. Big deal.

Cute gadget.

Nothing that much better than Speak and Spell.
It's probably loaded with a dictionary or two, so yeah, it's got some words in it.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I'm enjoying see good ole Ken again, I'll tell you what. And Watson got something wrong again today. I didn't know about the "confidence levels" and missed the part where he guessed. (Yesterday)