South Dakota to legalize murder of abortionists?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
What could possibly go wrong?

A law under consideration in South Dakota would expand the definition of "justifiable homicide" to include killings that are intended to prevent harm to a fetus—a move that could make it legal to kill doctors who perform abortions. The Republican-backed legislation, House Bill 1171, has passed out of committee on a nine-to-three party-line vote, and is expected to face a floor vote in the state's GOP-dominated House of Representatives soon.

The bill, sponsored by state Rep. Phil Jensen, a committed foe of abortion rights, alters the state's legal definition of justifiable homicide by adding language stating that a homicide is permissible if committed by a person "while resisting an attempt to harm" that person's unborn child or the unborn child of that person's spouse, partner, parent, or child. If the bill passes, it could in theory allow a woman's father, mother, son, daughter, or husband to kill anyone who tried to provide that woman an abortion—even if she wanted one.

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/south-dakota-hb-1171-legalize-killing-abortion-providers

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, for the love of...

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
No way. Please, please tell me there's no way something like that could possibly pass.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
So... um... is it justifiable to murder a mother who wants to abort her baby, even though the baby will die too? How does this even...? Gaaah.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
FFS. :e2zipped:

Last edited:

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
The interesting thing about South Dakota politics is that it seems like the legislators are quite a bit more conservative than the citizenry. If voters twice rejected a ban on abortion by double digits, how happy are they going to be about a bill like this one?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The interesting thing about South Dakota politics is that it seems like the legislators are quite a bit more conservative than the citizenry. If voters twice rejected a ban on abortion by double digits, how happy are they going to be about a bill like this one?
Since when has that mattered? The citizenry weren't happy about Kelo, to pick a favorite bone, and contacts with Congress ran somewhere around 100 to 1 against the bailout.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Kelo was a Supreme Court decision, and the court wasn't accountable to the people of Connecticut. OTOH, in theory, that's not as true with the legislators in South Dakota. Will anything actually happen, though? That's a separate animal.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my bad. I forgot that the legislators in South Dakota are accountable to the people of South Dakota. When election time finally gets here they'll throw out team "A" and turn things over to team "B." :rolleyes: Sorta the way it worked in the mid-term elections.

Last edited:

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my bad. I forgot that the legislators in South Dakota are accountable to the people of South Dakota. When election time finally gets here they'll throw out team "A" and turn things over to team "B." :rolleyes: Sorta the way it worked in the mid-term elections.

Didn't you read the last two lines of my last post? I don't think we're really disagreeing here.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just restating our agreement on that part of your quote. :)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I hope this stays in the national spotlight for a while to come. Let's hear the person who putting this forward have to answer questions about it on CNN or some other national syndicated news.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
A law under consideration in South Dakota would expand the definition of "justifiable homicide" to include killings that are intended to prevent harm to a fetus

They know that a fetus is, you know, a little fragile? And the list of things that could harm a fetus is quite vast?

...maybe they'll outlaw anvils. Because they could be dropped on the fetus.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
They know that a fetus is, you know, a little fragile? And the list of things that could harm a fetus is quite vast?

That was something that occurred to me as well. It reminded me that I was recently discussing with someone the ethics of bartenders serving alcohol to a pregnant woman.

That said, while the scope of the bill theoretically seems broader than just dealing with abortion doctors, obviously abortion doctors are the people most threatened here. In fact, considering there's only one abortion clinic in South Dakota, it might only be one person, and a small handful at most.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
A fetus is INSIDE A WOMAN. There are already laws saying you can kill someone who is about to apply deadly force to a woman's stomach, or do whatever it takes to keep someone from attacking a woman, whether there's a fetus involved or not.

Under what circumstances could a fetus be threatened with deadly force when the woman carrying the fetus is not?

Abortion.

This is a sick, sick law aimed at doctors providing a legal and sometimes medically necessary procedure.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
So... um... is it justifiable to murder a mother who wants to abort her baby, even though the baby will die too? How does this even...? Gaaah.

That's what I was thinking when I read the OP.

This legislation ... I just want to puke.

CDSinex

Imagine something clever here.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

...maybe they'll outlaw anvils. Because they could be dropped on the fetus.

Yes, and convenience store clerks who sell pregnant women cigarettes, or the CEOs of companies whose factories spew toxins that cause birth defects or miscarriages.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
The wording in the OP's quote does say that "homicide is permissible if committed by a person "while resisting an attempt to harm" that person's unborn child...". I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that someone buying cigarettes is attempting to resist harm.
Not that that detracts from the dangerous lunacy of this bill should it pass.

ETA: Now I think of it, is a woman getting an abortion really attempting to resist harm?

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Now I think of it, is a woman getting an abortion really attempting to resist harm?
It doesn't have to be the mother of the fetus that is resisting it. If someone believes that person is going to harm a fetus in the near future, they'd have the legal right to said person.