Any Latin experts in the house?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
My Latin is not so good. Well, non-existent, actually.

Strangely, though, i've decided a new short story needs a Latin title. So, i've been wearing my little brain out trying to figure out how to say 'Consequences of actions' in Latin, with the emphasis being on the 'consequence'--as in, 'grave consequences' but only one word.

The best i've come up with so far is 'Eventus ex Muneris.'

Does that work? Or is it badly off base?

I don't trust free online translation programs, and there's not that many latin dictionaries around (and a dictionary is only as good as your understanding of the language, and well, yeah).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
ex muneris doesn't work as ex takes the ablative case and muneris is genitive.

eventus ex factis would work as factis is the ablative plural of factum meaning, deeds or actions.

eventus a factis would also work but personally, I'd rather use ex.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks, Rufus!

Could eventus ex/a munus work? Like you, i'd rather use ex (for reasons not fully understood, but it feels better/more precise to me).

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks, Rufus!

Could eventus ex/a munus work? Like you, i'd rather use ex (for reasons not fully understood, but it feels better/more precise to me).

No, absolutely not! If you do, this is what you'll find at your front door, within about ten minutes.

:mob

That's right. A mob of irate Latinists complete with torches and pitchforks. Pulchrum non erit!

But you could say ex munere. The preposition ex requires the noun to be in the ablative case. Munus is the nominative. Munere is the ablative.

Munus means, service, duty, gift, public show, entertainment, tax, tribute.

Personally, I'd go with Eventus Factorum. Consequences of deeds.

Factum means deed or action. Factorum is the genitive plural of factum. In other words, it means - of deeds/of actions.

Factum is connected with the verb facere - to do/to make. In fact :)D) it's the perfect passive participle of facere as well as being a noun for deed/action.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
No, absolutely not! If you do, this is what you'll find at your front door, within about ten minutes.

:mob

That's right. A mob of irate Latinists complete with torches and pitchforks. Pulchrum non erit!
:chair

But you could say ex munere. The preposition ex requires the noun to be in the ablative case. Munus is the nominative. Munere is the ablative.

Munus means, service, duty, gift, public show, entertainment, tax, tribute.
Actually, that meaning might just be what i'm looking for. 'Consequences of service' may fit the story better than 'consequences of actions.'

eventus ex munere *repeats a few times*

Personally, I'd go with Eventus Factorum. Consequences of deeds.

Factum means deed or action. Factorum is the genitive plural of factum. In other words, it means - of deeds/of actions.

Factum is connected with the verb facere - to do/to make. In fact :)D) it's the perfect passive participle of facere as well as being a noun for deed/action.
Though, 'of deeds' could work too.

Hmm *ponders*

Thanks again!

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
A few more possibilities:

Results of Services - Eventus Munerum.

Results from Services - Eventus Ex Muneribus.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yeah, might as well.

Hey, that's a nice pitchfork! Spear and Jackson perchance?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Y'know, i'd really like to see a mob of Latinists rampaging along a street somewhere.

Perhaps i can work that into a story...