COMMAS in place of PERIODS in DIALOGUE

Nightmirror

Not so happily ever after...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebornreality.com
I've tried searching other threads but I couldn't find anything that answered my question exactly, so please forgive me if this question has already been asked.

My question is: can commas be used in dialogue in place of a period. I've seen this done by several authors (including J.K. Rowling) when attempting to link a series of sentences that lack a significant pause, as if the character is blurting out their sentences in a single breath. I don't know if this is grammatically correct or if it's a style certain authors use. To give you a clear picture, allow me to provide you with a few examples.

"Jake likes you, he told me so, and I think you should ask him out."

"I finished signing the paperwork like you wanted, it's in your desk, I'm heading out now."

I realize the two sentences could make good use of dashes, but I what I want to know is: are the sentences "okay"? Is it even grammatically correct to use this in dialogue?

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
It's never grammatically correct, but rules for grammar are lax in dialog, because they're lax in speech.

I personally wouldn't use a comma splice unless I were intending for the speech to be run together without normal pauses.

Nightmirror

Not so happily ever after...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebornreality.com
I thought it was wrong grammatically, but I do occasionally use them when I want my speaker to blab without a pause. Thanks for the input.